Build houses without windows on the north or west side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build houses without windows on the north or west side

To save energy over the life of a house... could big screen LCDs and modern camera technology eliminate the need for some of the windows houses have facing into the wind? Maybe a big LCD TV on the wall with a camera on the outside would do the same thing for near the same cost. Put a motion detector on the inside.

Wouldn't the big LCD tv just burn electricity?

I think houses in Edmonton already have smaller windows than houses in warmer climes, for this reason.

Comment

In reality, you want north side windows for natural light and cooler summer interior temperatures.

Not to mention that perhaps it has more to due with the glazing/window unit than the direction it is facing...

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Why build houses without windows? It would make more sense to live underground completely and rely on geothermal.
        "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

God, please no. The only thing that makes living here bearable sometimes is natural unfiltered sunlight spewing in your window.
          Blog: http://www.stormbrew.ca/ | Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/stormbrew

Comment

The full subject of the thread is "Build houses without windows on the north or west side" not "Build houses without windows period."
            Strathcona City Separatist

Comment

Unless your house is loft-style, not having windows on an entire side of it will still leave you with a lot of dark rooms with no natural light.
              Blog: http://www.stormbrew.ca/ | Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/stormbrew

Comment

we get far more light in our west side windows than the east side ones.
                I don't think an LCD tv could come anywhere near the brightness of an overcast day.
                i think you'd also want windows on all sides of the house so that they can be opened on hot days to get a cross breeze.

Comment

Good points about the cross breeze but depending on the floor, my own house has no useful windows on at least one end - with no effect on fresh air.

I can see the TV-window becoming an option/design item where light or breeze isn't necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by KC View Post
                    I can see the TV-window becoming an option/design item where light or breeze isn't necessary.
                    If you don't need light, you don't need a TV-Window!

I agree with others, the problem isn't having windows on certain side of the house. Ideally, there are operable windows (good insulated windows) in as many locations as feasible. And non operable windows or solar tubes where operable windows are not feasible.

Daylight, fresh air, natural ventilation, interaction with surrounding, control of your spaces; all of those buzzword phrases come true with good windows wherever you can.

Comment

Originally posted by KC View Post
                      Good points about the cross breeze but depending on the floor, my own house has no useful windows on at least one end - with no effect on fresh air.

except it's much more efficient to still provide windows and make them as efficient as possible - including the use of drapes on the interior and perhaps even shutters on the exterior - than it would be to manufacture and power "tv windows" in their stead.
                      "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

Working...
                      X