Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landscape Architects: Custom Growers?

Hello Folks,

I'm hoping some of my design colleagues might be able to help me out on this. I'm looking to plant a dense 2' X 8' foot hedge using Equisetum hyemale next spring. Does anyone know of a green house that might custom grow a crop of this plant? It's common name is horsetail or scouring rush. It grows natively in our river valley and I've seen it along the west bank of Millcreek ravine.

For those that are unfamiliar with the plant, have a look at the "Brookvale Residence" on Andrea Cochran's site: http://acochran.com/

Thanks for your help!

I haven't actually seen this myself, but it looks fascinating.

I'll forward this thread to a landscape architect I know and perhaps he'll post a response.
    Edmonton: Capital of Canada's Bold West!

Comment

While there are a lot of good greenhouses in the area, the ones that i usually deal with are Millcreek, and Holes. However, I am unfamiliar with this plant. But it seems to me, that this plant is most commonly found in the wild.
      My advice? Go down to the river in the spring, and with a good knowedge of how to extract a plant properly from the muskeg without damaging the roots, and pull out your desired amount.
      It is also important to take the plants out randomly, and not to "clearcut". As this could cause the rest of the plant to die out.

Another good source would be from Vesey's Seed catalogue. http://www.veseys.com/ca/en/
      This has been a great source for me, when i couldn't find the plants i was looking for.

Hope this helps....

Comment

Common Horsetail Rush

The rush that you describe can be an incredible nuisance plant that can force out kinnikinick (bear berry), pines and even willows. Go to any Alberta terminal pan lake and dig up as much as you like because most people are trying to rid their shorelines and beaches of this nuisance plant
        If I were to plant these in would be in galvanized boxes with sand and water as a support for these and other "boggers"
        There were small 4 inch pots available at the 104 street market all summer although these may have been a slender dwarf variety. I do believe that I also saw these at all of the green houses and even crappy tire in each of their water plant displays.

The common (segmented) horse tail that grows here is one of the worlds oldest marsh or bog plants
        Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Comment

Great information Blueline. I was thinking about building a short metal planter that I could submerse to help contain the plant's risomes. The area where they are to be planted is bordered by a 6" path of stone on all sides and is separtated from the lawn by (stupidly expensive) aluminum landscape edging.

Comment

BTW when it dies off (down) in the fall the dry segments separate and scatter
            Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Comment

Working...
            X