Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Competition hopes to improve architecture

Edmonton hopes competition will improve architecture

BY GORDON KENT, EDMONTONJOURNAL.COMJULY 28, 2009 12:11 PMCOMMENTS (3)

EDMONTON - Planning officials hope Edmonton architecture will receive a shot in the arm this fall from the urban design award competition announced Tuesday.

A national jury featuring noted architect Douglas Cardinal of Ottawa will pick winners in six categories to be announced at a gala ceremony Nov. 18.

[email protected]

© Copyright (c) The Edmonton Journal

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...121/story.html

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Edmonton Urban Design Awards 2009

City's best urban designs to be judged by renowned architects, planners and designers

City of Edmonton News Release - July 28, 2009

Internationally renowned architect Douglas Cardinal headlines the jury for the 2009 Edmonton Urban Design Awards.

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...gns-to-be.aspx

Comment

Is this like an open competition or something?
      Or is it just another industry award banquet?

Comment

Originally posted by armin View Post
        Just another industry award/banquet from what I can tell.

Comment

Yeah, its not a competition in the traditional sense of an 'architectural competition'. Rather, this is a biannual award for built work in the city.
          ....And if I were a betting man, I'd say Cecil Place / Sobeys gets a prize this go around

Comment

Originally posted by etownboarder View Post
            Originally posted by armin View Post
            Just another industry award/banquet from what I can tell.
            No, it's not. The projects that recieve awards are eligible for the National RAIC Urban Design Awards in 2010.

The following other cities participate in this event: Toronto, Calgary, Ottawa, Hamilton, Mississauga and Halifax.

Comment

But it's not a competition in the same sense as the competition for design of the new AGA was.

Comment

^Duh, it has nothing to do with a specific project.

Comment

^ Which is exactly why the title 'architecture competition' is a little misleading. In most cases, that entails submissions of proposals from several groups, all "bidding" on a specified project / programme.

This is an award, not a competition in the traditional sense, as Etownboarder points out.

Comment

^
                    That's what I couldn't understand.
                    I was under the impression from the press release that this was an open competition in the same way they wanted public submissions for the city gates.

Bummer, it could have been much more exciting than the same boring awards these guys give each other. It could have been used to actually promote interest in architecture.

Comment

I agree with you both... this is not a competition.

Comment

People, it is a competition. Projects are submitted under a certain category, a jury then 'selects' the winning project, done. Those who submit are 'competing' with each of the other submissions.
                        Last edited by ChrisD; 03-08-2009, 07:51 AM.

Comment

I guess they're "competing" for awards so that makes it a competition. But they're not competing for projects which is what most people think of when they hear the words "architectural competition".

The title is misleading, even if accurate.

Comment

^You re thinking of a competitive bid? Or just competition in general improving architecture? Interesting, when I read it, I thought probably just another award competition (which must be good for architects you would think - the more recognition of "good" things, the better).

Comment

Working...
                            X