Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So long Baccarat. Now here's five other buildings that could also use the wrecking ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HUB Mall is one of my favorite buildings until they ruined it in 2010. It is in many architecture books for the great design concept.

It is really an urban community, something rare in Edmonton. Music comes from stores and open apartment shutters. The smell of the coffee shop or restaurant wafts upwardly. On a cold day in February, it is (was) a sunny oasis It is like a narrow street in Europe.

The damn bean counters at the UofA have tons of money for new buildings but have zero dollars to maintain the architecturally significant HUB Mall. They falsely claimed that glass ceilings do not work in Edmonton and put a metal roof to replace the glass while at the same time, the Royal Alex expansion included a huge glass ceiling

Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Keith Gerein at the EJ got it all wrong

Here is my vote for the #1 building that deserves the wrecking ball

Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Why has nobody mentioned the Terrace Building? That's the number one thing on the Leg grounds that needs to go. Heck, even in Edmonton.

Edit: and that stupid-asz blue vinyl montrosity of a house on Hardisty drive, viewable when heading south on Gretzky.

Comment

Originally posted by nobleea View Post
          Why has nobody mentioned the Terrace Building? That's the number one thing on the Leg grounds that needs to go. Heck, even in Edmonton.

I've never QUITE gotten the hate that exists around here for the Terrace. To me, it just looks like a very conservative, functional piece of government architecture. Maybe a little bit boring, but not an eyesore by any means.

If anyone can find a photo of the blue atrocity on Hardisty Drive, I'd be curious to see what it looks like.

Comment

the hate for the terrace building is that it destroys what should be views of the legislature from the south side and the sense of arrival you should have in a capital city that takes pride in its position. at the same time it also destroys the views of the river valley from the legislative grounds and vice versa. it’s also ugly and without any redeeming features architecturally or functionally (even its floor plates and circulation are ******).
            "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

It's also surrounded by gravel, or asphalt turning in to gravel parking lots.

Comment

The annex for the Edmonton Convention Centre.

If you stand on 97st and Jasper, it totally blocks the river valley view. Also, it doesn't fit with the architecture of the original design.
                Last edited by North Guy66; 12-02-2020, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by North Guy66 View Post

If you stand on 97st and Jasper, it totally blocks the river valley view. Also, it doesn't fit with the architecture of the original design.
                  This is what you're referring to?

Comment

^ Yes. Is it called Hall D?

Should find a pic from the Jasper ave side.

Comment

Originally posted by North Guy66 View Post

Yes, along with the "new" library another example of recent lack of civic leadership in architectural design. I don't know who at the city approves these things, they should be fired.

Comment

Well one building I want to see gone (and soon) and replaced is the building directly west of the Brighton Block.
                        LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

Originally posted by overoceans View Post
                          If anyone can find a photo of the blue atrocity on Hardisty Drive, I'd be curious to see what it looks like.
                          My bad, apparently it's stucco. Or at least it was in 2015 when this last streetview was taken.
                          https://goo.gl/maps/apUvWaGhxUgYs9U58

Comment

Originally posted by nobleea View Post
                            My bad, apparently it's stucco. Or at least it was in 2015 when this last streetview was taken.
                            https://goo.gl/maps/apUvWaGhxUgYs9U58

Oh, yeah, okay. That looks like it's unfinished, like the architect drew the outline for a really big mansion, but never got around to adding anything besides the basic frame.

Comment

Working...
                            X