Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So long Baccarat. Now here's five other buildings that could also use the wrecking ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So long Baccarat. Now here's five other buildings that could also use the wrecking ball

Journal article: Link

The Legislative Annex has always been public enemy #1 for me. A remarkably ugly building placed in one of Edmonton's most beautiful settings.

For HUB, I don't really think it deserves to be singled out considering the pervasive architectural chaos of the University campus. However it does have that industrial interior design with exposed ducts, etc. that is everywhere in the campus... really tiresome and grating - feel like I'm in the movie Brazil.

Originally posted by K364 View Post

The Legislative Annex has always been public enemy #1 for me. A remarkably ugly building placed in one of Edmonton's most beautiful settings.
    These things basically come down to taste, but, as I've said before, if I had to get rid of any building on the Leg. grounds in order to attain a greater architectural harmony among the structures, it would be the legislature itself. But I've never cared for neo-classical, and I know that's probably a minority view.

Comment

For HUB, I don't really think it deserves to be singled out considering the pervasive architectural chaos of the University campus. However it does have that industrial interior design with exposed ducts, etc. that is everywhere in the campus... really tiresome and grating - feel like I'm in the movie Brazil.
      As someone who logged in a lot of hours at HUB for a period of about five years, I'll say that I don't think it's really meant to be experienced as a building, in and of itself. It's a mall, and thus should be judged by the standards of a mall.

I agree with the reporter that it doesn't quite match the purported goal of a covered European street, but I never really thought of it that way to begin with. If you're a student at the university, going to HUB is just like going to your neighbourhood mall(eg. Bonnie Doon, Kingsway). I never even really visualized the exterior very much.

Comment

my two cents worth:

the legislature annex is a notable building not just in edmonton but in north america. put an "exterior atrium" around it (which could be done for less money that restoring the leaky curtainwall) and allow to be truly "showcased" year-round.

the coliseum needs to be repurposed and renovated accordingly. there have been schemes as varied as an integrated convention centre by linking to expo hall to seniors accomodations an urban farms, none of which has been really analyzed because we're hell bent on demolishing it no matter what so it sits derelict instead.

the butter-dome defended as "not the most loathsome building at the u of a"? it's colour alone makes it one our most whimsical - dare I say colourful? - buildings.

the edmonton clinic isn't as awful as portrayed but it's true that there wasn't much attention to articulation and massing. as for the exterior finishing, it seemed pretty dated the day it was finished - our copy of some architectural record photo of a building somewhere in germany (hey - we could make something here look like that!).

the hub mall has some real and integral issues that may well prove unsolvable but in the interim it at least pretty much does what it's supposed do.

there isn't much wrong with chancery hall that isn't directly attributable to it's terrible urban edges at grade. visibly it's a four sided building and there isn't a single side that has good interaction with the street (i.e. there is absolute none to speak of for three of those four sides and half of the fourth that has some could be a lesson in how not to do it).

you could say the same thing about the hotel as chancery hall. the multifaceted crystal-like glass is a constantly changing reflection and provides an interesting counterpoint to the gibson block and the church but the lack of street level interaction and interest needs to be readdressed not only by the owner (hotel lobbies don't belong on the second floor) but by the city who dictated no street access to a hotel on it's longest frontage and closed another for years for lrt construction.

"If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

Originally posted by kcantor View Post
          the edmonton clinic isn't as awful as portrayed but it's true that there wasn't much attention to articulation and massing. as for the exterior finishing, it seemed pretty dated the day it was finished - our copy of some architectural record photo of a building somewhere in germany (hey - we could make something here look like that!).
          Based on the photo, the rainbow colouring on the exterior seems a little forced. Similar to the refurbishing of the Chateau Lacombe.

Comment

Originally posted by overoceans View Post

These things basically come down to taste, but, as I've said before, if I had to get rid of any building on the Leg. grounds in order to attain a greater architectural harmony among the structures, it would be the legislature itself. But I've never cared for neo-classical, and I know that's probably a minority view.
            It looks much the same as every other legislature in North America

Comment

Keith Gerein went from being one of Postmedia's only UCP critics, to writing vapid listicles like this one. What a waste.
              “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Comment

Originally posted by kkozoriz View Post

It looks much the same as every other legislature in North America
                Well, the domed, classical-influenced ones, anyway. And yeah, I'm not really a fan of that style. The House Of Commons in Ottawa and Confederation House in St. John's are examples of buildings not in that style.

Comment

^
                  wandering around and through the scottish parliament building might give you a better appreciation for the domed, classical-influenced ones.
                  "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

^
                    wandering around and through the scottish parliament building might give you a better appreciation for the domed, classical-influenced ones.
                    Well, I can't say I'm crazy about that building(it broadly puts me in mind of MacEwan Univeristy, in terms of being a sprawling, visually unfocused mess), though it still doesn't enhance my appreciation of the Alberta legislature. The fact that one form of ugliness exists does not alleviate the impact of other forms.

And if someone put a gun to my head and said "Alberta legislature or Scottish parliament!", I'd have to go for the latter.

Comment

Mac E is a sprawling mess?
                      " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Comment

Originally posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
                        Mac E is a sprawling mess?
                        Yeah, sort of, if you look at the whole building in its entirety, which is actually kind of hard to find pictures of on-line(most photos just focus on one particular section). It's like a bunch of different buildings and features, forced together in a somewhat helter-skelter fasshion. Which I suppose is the intended effect.

Comment

^
                          Been there. Done that. Which is why I don't think we need a Disneyland "Main Street USA" version. It's similar to probably something in the neighbourhood of hundreds of similar building. So many that if you made up some flash cards, you'd be hard pressed to say which one is which jurisdiction.

But, everyone else does it so I guess we should too.

Comment

HUB used to be nicer before they renovated it extensively, so it now seems like something out of the 90's (but somehow not quite) and that era is not so fashionable now. The Legislative Annex is a nice example of period architecture, but the placement is not quite right. If it could be moved ... sigh

Being a young city, the default here often seems to be to want to tear down anything that is no longer new and appealing and then perhaps regret it 20 years later. Character is something that develops over time and a city like ours is going to have variety of styles aka architectural chaos.

Comment

HUB used to be nicer before they renovated it extensively, so it now seems like something out of the 90's (but somehow not quite right) and that era is not so fashionable now. The Legislative Annex is a nice example of period architecture, but the placement is not quite right. If it could be moved ... sigh

Being a young city, the default here often seems to be to want to tear down anything that is no longer new and appealing and then perhaps regret it 20 years later. Character is something that develops over time and a city like ours is going to have variety of styles aka architectural chaos.

Comment

Working...
                              X