No announcement yet.

New Downtown Arena & Two New Office Towers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Blue Bombers new stadium plan looks great. It would be a wonderful change for the CFL. For once a brand new building that should support the team and the fans quite well for years to come.

Now back to home and our dilemma. I really wouldn't mind seeing a new arena downtown, but with that said what about a brand new facility either back on the northlands property or a new arena nearby on the old burns lot. In my opinion one option for the arena could be build it on the current location of Rexall place but do a few things to improve the area completely.

1- Move the LRT station so that it is not next to but part of the new arena. Also the new station could have a covered walkway to the Agricom and the future Agricom 2.
    2- The city and northlands purchase the land accross the street from Rexall (Forum, Mohawk, Liquor Store, etc...) Tear all those down and build a proper roadway that will allow traffic to flow better for through traffic but also will allow better and easier traffic flow going to the arena.
    3 - Build a new hotel attached to the new arena and even a small retail area with food court. Maybe this can attract more people to the building complexe even earlier for some food, shopping, etc...
    4 - The new arena would have a new parkade under the building or as part of the building for northlands staff and security, Edm Oilers staff and players, and all concert set and teardown crews.
    5 - Brand new loading dock and storage areas for concerts. The current facilities are very outdated and at times dangerous.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

• we want better ITS service well start using it and leave you car at home if it was me DT would not have access to any motor wehicle. are people to lasy to walk to bust stop and wait 15 min
      i work DT and i do drive to work from tie to time and it take me longer to drive then to take the bus. so i never have problem with parking that way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Edmcowboy11
        The Blue Bombers new stadium plan looks great. It would be a wonderful change for the CFL. For once a brand new building that should support the team and the fans quite well for years to come.

Now back to home and our dilemma. I really wouldn't mind seeing a new arena downtown, but with that said what about a brand new facility either back on the northlands property or a new arena nearby on the old burns lot. In my opinion one option for the arena could be build it on the current location of Rexall place but do a few things to improve the area completely.

1- Move the LRT station so that it is not next to but part of the new arena. Also the new station could have a covered walkway to the Agricom and the future Agricom 2.
        2- The city and northlands purchase the land accross the street from Rexall (Forum, Mohawk, Liquor Store, etc...) Tear all those down and build a proper roadway that will allow traffic to flow better for through traffic but also will allow better and easier traffic flow going to the arena.
        3 - Build a new hotel attached to the new arena and even a small retail area with food court. Maybe this can attract more people to the building complexe even earlier for some food, shopping, etc...
        4 - The new arena would have a new parkade under the building or as part of the building for northlands staff and security, Edm Oilers staff and players, and all concert set and teardown crews.
        5 - Brand new loading dock and storage areas for concerts. The current facilities are very outdated and at times dangerous.
        Which raises a question that boosters of a downtown location for a new arena will have to answer. Right now a lot of the "sales pitch" re a downtown arena revolve around revitalizing downtown, but is an arena really going to invigorate and support an area where it's located? Or do they want the arena downtown so that downtown supports the arena?

Comment

• Originally posted by CSR
          Originally posted by Edmcowboy11
          The Blue Bombers new stadium plan looks great. It would be a wonderful change for the CFL. For once a brand new building that should support the team and the fans quite well for years to come.

Which raises a question that boosters of a downtown location for a new arena will have to answer. Right now a lot of the "sales pitch" re a downtown arena revolve around revitalizing downtown, but is an arena really going to invigorate and support an area where it's located? Or do they want the arena downtown so that downtown supports the arena?
          The answer is, not surprisingly, both. That's what I mean when I say synergy. The arena will benefit the area, and the area will benefit the arena. It will be so much better for all event attendees to have it near other attractions downtown. And how could anybody doubt that 18,000 people in the core would be good for the core too? That's probably double or triple the number we get during The Works/Jazz festival, or Street Performers. (Not to disrespect either event, I catch them every time I can. I just want to put a sense of magnitude on the effect the arena could have.) Then the festivals could have restaurants, bars, cafes, and shopping nearby that doesn't go bankrupt every winter too.

Do we not want people downtown? Do we not want event attendees to have a good time? There's nothing wrong with either the arena or downtown benefitting, and there's even less wrong with both benefitting.

-------
          Edmcowboy11:
          The biggest problem with Rexall is that it was, in fact, designed to not interact with its neighbours. The planners wanted to, as well as possible, mitigate the effects of the arena on the surounding communities. And they succeeded wildly.

Northlands rightfully takes pride in its minimised impact on the surrounding homes.

http://www.northlands.com/community.html

Which in turn means that they are kinda obliged not to build too many permanently exciting things. They must, very quietly, host the Ex, the rodeo, the hockey games, the trade shows, and the horse racing. Wayne Gretzky Drive and the LRT basically allow this, and these days, the only intensity that flows out of Northlands does so in vehicular traffic and LRT, with probably 60% or more being amply absorbed by WGD. Night after night, the evacuation is logical and orderly, and waits are actually quite low. In other words, boring.

Imagine being able to capture that intensity in pedestrian traffic. Imagine rather than taking WGD to a vehicular celebration on Whyte, streams of people walking through churchill square, or new restaurant district in the currently completely un-vital Jasper East, or my favourite prospect, through Little Italy or Chinatown to the North, over 100 nights a year.

As I said before, it will be cheaper, faster, and far better to build a new arena in the old downtown, than build a new downtown around the old arena.
          Let's make Edmonton better.

Comment

• Exactly. Anytime before going to a game or a concert, I find that many people drink and dine somewhere in the core before hopping on the LRT to the northeast. Why? Because they want to have a good meal beforehand instead of shelling out $10 for an unfulfilling hot dog at Rexall. Would the current number of restaurants handle part of 15,000+ people? If not, then more restaurants could start up to meet the demand, especially those that are attached to the arena as a multi-use facility.

People from out of town who are here to attend events at the arena often stay in local hotels. With a downtown arena, it's a short walk for them instead of having to drive or take the LRT. I would even reckon that a downtown arena could potentially increase the demand for more big-name hotels in the core.

If there's a festival going down at Churchill at the same time, even better: people can take it in before going to the arena, thus vastly increasing the festival's attendance figures.

If one looks at the bigger picture, a multi-use arena facility in the downtown with all these amenities close-by (hotels, restaurants) would marketable enough to attract even more events. Like, say, another Juno Awards? Major conventions that the Shaw can't handle? Or even bigger events?
            “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Working...
            X