No announcement yet.

Favourite Edmonton Historical Building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Cosh failed to mention in his article is that this city is ready to repeat the same mistake by allowing a high-rise condo to overshadow and obscure the Hotel Mac. Just a small sliver of that downtown CRL would be enough for the city to acquire and preserve that park so that one of our few remaining historical gems can continue to be showcased from our main street. But oh no, according to the City, the DBA, DECL and the members of C2E and SSP, it is far more important to fill the skyline with big shiny phalluses on every conceivable block.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

It's not the majestic Hotel Macdonald overlooking Edmonton's river valley, or the prominent South Side Post Office in Old Strathcona, but the A. Minchau Blacksmith Shop is significant enough to save, heritage fans say.

The 1925 brick industrial building on 81st Avenue and 101st Street made the National Trust for Canada's top 10 list of endangered places for 2018.
      Gotta say, even with the address and the photo, I'm not sure I have any clear memories of having actually seen that particular building. I guess it is not without its charms.

link

Comment

Yes, the Mac annex was an abortion, but as Cosh fails to mention , it was torn down and the mistake corrected.

But that's what I expect from Cosh - bash, bash, bash a city he clearly hates.

Colby, just move somewhere else please.
        ... gobsmacked

Comment

Originally posted by McBoo View Post
          Yes, the Mac annex was an abortion, but as Cosh fails to mention , it was torn down and the mistake corrected.

Cosh is one of the few, probably the only, columnist writing on the national scene who portrays Edmonton as a place worth writing about, with a specific character and issues. Whether he's always postive is another question, but that's not something I demand of writers who focus on a particular city anyway.

Comment

If you look at the photos above, notice how the annex was so very close to being an asset rather than a liability. Had they matched the roofline and jogged out the big bland wall (angled it at some point) to add variation and rooms to then reduce the height adjacent to the original, they could have made the addition look very similar in appearance to the original building. Maybe not perfect but at least it would have looked like something else than a big flat-roof box stuck on the side.

Note that they matched up the windows but failed to reflect any of the hotel’s other classic features and worse, made it tower over the original structure. Just a bizarre mindset by the new architect or builder.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3561/...8f9a7f37de.jpg[/QUOTE]

This is a great example of a complementary expansion (poor quality photo though).

Manchester Grand Hyatt Hotel - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manche...nd_Hyatt_Hotel

The thinking that went into the original tower (article below) was clearly present in the design of the second tower. (Not the usual disdain and condescension new architects seem to have for their predecessors.)
            New Hyatt Is a Study in Design Contrasts - latimes

“Two major challenges faced by the architects were how to orient the tower so that all rooms could have bay views without making the building a looming monster on the downtown skyline, and how to give it a distinctive top.

"We did 15 or 20 different schemes," Lee said. "The flat slab turned sideways not only gives views from the rooms, but presents its narrow side to the city to maintain views. It also has a slender footprint that allows pedestrian access on the ground."

"It didn't have to terminate like a refrigerator top," Lee said. ...”

http://articles.latimes.com/1992-12-...nterior-design
            Bolding mine
            Last edited by KC; 30-05-2018, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by overoceans View Post

Cosh is one of the few, probably the only, columnist writing on the national scene who portrays Edmonton as a place worth writing about, with a specific character and issues. Whether he's always postive is another question, but that's not something I demand of writers who focus on a particular city anyway.
              Colby Cosh's hatred for Edmonton and his despicable writing style makes him an embarrassment on the national stage (assuming the National Post attains such heights) and should be made unemployed.
              “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post

Colby Cosh's hatred for Edmonton and his despicable writing style makes him an embarrassment on the national stage (assuming the National Post attains such heights) and should be made unemployed.
                I'd be curious to see an example of his "hatred for Edmonton".

Comment

It's not the majestic Hotel Macdonald overlooking Edmonton's river valley, or the prominent South Side Post Office in Old Strathcona, but the A. Minchau Blacksmith Shop is significant enough to save, heritage fans say.

The 1925 brick industrial building on 81st Avenue and 101st Street made the National Trust for Canada's top 10 list of endangered places for 2018.
                  Gotta say, even with the address and the photo, I'm not sure I have any clear memories of having actually seen that particular building. I guess it is not without its charms.

link
                  It's one of the last industrial staple-of-the-era buildings left in Old Strathcona. In almost any other city it would be converted and an addition put next to it on site - much like many Beljan developments, to provide an Edmonton example.
                  Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Comment

Working...
                  X