No announcement yet.

Edmonton International Airport (YEG) Terminal Expansion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chris you are dead right - Schiphol is easy to connect from - and countless low cost airlines fly in and out of AMS Schiphol. Having flown into London and Frankfurt many times - Schiphol is by far a better choice on any measure of the yardstick. For those who need some convincing just check out the map of low cost carriers using AMS Schiphol compared to other airports. Look at skyscanner (http://www.skyscanner.net/) or one of the other sites. Of course EVERY major airline also fly into Schiphol. The other great thing is its like 10 minutes by train into Central Amsterdam for like $2.50 - and from Schiphols undergorund train station - you can go anywhere in Europe - immediately if you wish to go by tain or coach.

Comment

I should have added the most important detail - because sites like skyscanner do not always show the differant airports - and lump a city like London (with its 4-5 airports) as one place (eg: London has 4 main airports - Heathrow, Gatwick, Stanstead and Lutton) and Frankfurt has 2 (named Frankfurt) - and most discount carriers tend to fly into secondary airports - and these tend to be much less convenient, further out etc. - except for Amsterdam Schiphol because it has only 1 airport. The smart traveller will carefully consider whether when visiting Olso 9for example) whether you want the main airport (connected by metro and 15 minutes train time) or one 40 miles north (Torp) served by bus, same for Paris, London, Frankfurt, Milan, Barcelona, Rome etc etc. Amsterdam's Schiphol airport is a rarety in this regards because every airlines fly;s in and out of it - plus the place works like a swiss watch. So for Edmonton - getting that route to Amsterdam will help us because many Eastern Europeans will want to connect through Schiphol enroute to Edmonton (Western Canada) - and that will be a good feeder route for YEG by increasing intransit passengers from YEG on to elsewhere.

Comment

As an Eastern European myself, i can say that i clearly couldn't care less which airport i connect through as long as it's a seamless connection. London Heathrow has 4 terminals with another one on the way so it's not very convenient. Frankfurt and Amsterdam are on par in terms of connections except for the fact that Amsterdam has budget airlines flying into it which would benefit me greatly. Budget airlines fly to airports in Eastern Europe that legacy airlines do not and when the legacy airlines do fly into those airports, the fares are outragous.

An interesting note. A couple of years ago i booked a flight to Berlin. I had Aeroplan miles at the time so i used them up. I also checked to see what the best price would have been if i would have had to pay in cash. The cheapest fare was with KLM via Minneapolis and Amsterdam.

I vote for KLM Royal Dutch Airlines to start scheduled service from Edmonton to Amsterdam starting in the summer of 2007.

Hmm, maybe the above should be my personalized signature.

Comment

Edmonton International Airport (YEG) Terminal Expansion

Originally Posted by Wolsingerjet on the Airliners.net discussion forum:

On another note CYEG is also going to be getting set for some expansion very shortly. The plans call for the commuter concourse to close temporarily and for a new ''finger'' to be built into the north terminal extending to the west with upto 8 additional bridges being added to it (as per Westjet's request). Westjet wants to buy the gates for itself as it would like to expand its services to the city,but simply has no room to add extra flights due to the lack of room. Peaceair,Integra air,Quikair,and Northwestern air will all move their operation's temporarily to the new FBO Executive flight centre until a new commuter concourse is built at the terminal area. The plans for a new terminal to the south of the exsisting south terminal are also going ahead (no announcement made yet) but blue prints are already complete. CMA is the only commuter carrier not moving away from the main terminal and will instead move its operations to the gate 49 concourse temporarily. The new south terminal will keep the same basic design as the recent south terminal with the addition of another 14-20 bridges being added. Lots in the works and seems we are on the way to get a larger more efficient airport.

Wolsingerjet seems to have a lot of information about EAA's future plans regarding airport expansion and new flights. He is the one who posted that Edmonton will be getting new scheduled flights to Europe next year. Hopefully his predictions are correct.

The following link shows all the chat about Edmonton International Airport lately including the terminal expansion plans quoted above. Someone even comments that the airport is getting a lot of attention on the Airliners.net discussion forum. There are some interesting comments regarding the proposed new flights to Europe as well.

http://www.airliners.net/discussions...9/6/#ID2935159

Comment

Ooo!

Juicy
            LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Comment

Wicked....YEG has some big plans on the horizon. Excellent.

Comment

From what I read here, I can't wait to see a diagram for a visual, and secondly I look forward to seeing if this is a phased plan like the first expansion.

Comment

If I were a betting man - bet on phases...
                  President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

How times have changed. Just two years ago WS was adamantly oppossed to any upgrade or expansion at YEG. Reg Milley stated in the news some time ago that he would like to see any expansion built on a just in time basis. Seems to me that the time is upon YEG to expand as they are reaching the designed capacity of the new terminal.
                    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Comment

Great news although I am soewhat shocked by the large number of bridges. This "new south terminal" sounds weird, I assume they will be connected and part dedicated to US flights?
                      Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

Comment

I would think that the "new south terminal" would be built first with a sort of an air bridge linking it with the US departures area. The US departures would be completely moved to the "new south terminal" and then work between the two south terminals would be completed.

I'm curious as to whether all the work will be started at the same time. I'm sure WestJet wants it's area expanded fast but the US departures area is already quite overcrowded.

Comment

Do WestJet really need more space - this is just my attempt to see how much substance there is to the original post.
                          Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

Comment

^everyone does and will...YEG is doing very well and to choke it off by not planning for expansion will hurt us again. We need more gates simple as that.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Originally posted by SteveB
                              Do WestJet really need more space - .
                              Yes. The slots they have now are full. Sure, there are some down times, but we cannot forget that peak hours are peak hours, and these new flights will more than likely arrive/depart during those preferred travel times. Just because there is a lull at 3 am does not mean no demand for 6 pm...
                              President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

pics of hotel and gate expansion:

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Working...
                                X