• Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...1-2419c9c20e28

Edmonton on new Silk Road

International airport likely site for major Chinese distribution warehouse

David Finlayson, The Edmonton Journal
    Published: 1:31 am
    EDMONTON - Edmonton Airports is close to signing a deal with a Chinese investment group interested in building a huge warehouse at the International.

"We're in advanced negotiations and it's a significant investment," Glen Vanstone, the authority's director of cargo and business innovation said Friday.

Vanstone, speaking on the progress of the airport's Port Alberta project, said he couldn't reveal the name of the group or any more details of the deal.
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey
      Anyway, roads are not the biggest concern to me. What I wanna know about Port Alberta is, how are they going to get CN Rail down to YEG? Are they going to move their main rail line down south? CN has that all-important rail connection between Prince Rupert and Chicago.
      It is called the Anthony Henday.

Trucks ferry it between YEG and the NW/NE.
      President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

Biggest news for months, Port Alberta has massive potential and getting the first business is always the toughest step.
        Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

Comment

Yep.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS
            Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey
            Anyway, roads are not the biggest concern to me. What I wanna know about Port Alberta is, how are they going to get CN Rail down to YEG? Are they going to move their main rail line down south? CN has that all-important rail connection between Prince Rupert and Chicago.
            It is called the Anthony Henday.

Trucks ferry it between YEG and the NW/NE.
            OK then. I just wondered if it made sense for CN to build a line to YEG.
            “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

depends on their strategy. IMO, not so much...yet.

Comment

I think once the project takes off fully, we will see the idea become a reality.

Comment

What is the kicker is the propensity to ship by boat, then rail, and suddenly plane?

Port Alberta is more than YEG - they just own the copyright...

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS
                    What is the kicker is the propensity to ship by boat, then rail, and suddenly plane?

Port Alberta is more than YEG - they just own the copyright...
                    Yeah, that doesn't make sense. Something that would be worthy of transporting on a plane would not take a boat and a train to get here first. They'd just put it on a plane in the first place, wouldn't they?

Mind you when I bought an ipod this holiday season, it was on a plane from China, then a truck from the states. So maybe they're planning to send things the other way via Port Alberta; fly them in then truck them around or train them around...and then... put them on a boat? hmm.....
                    City Centre Airport is to the sky as False Creek is to the ocean.

Comment

The only way that happens if the load needs to be hotshot to a main center, then loaded onto a truck and drop shippments along the way.

Comment

I would have though industrial properties along Yellowhead would have shot up some more. Hah, highrise industrial complexes. That'd be neat. Not likely, but neat.
                        Xelebes

Comment

What if YEG is used as a staging area so that the goods are closer to the main market - the US. Depending on the urgency they can go by truck or for the urgent shipment - air.

I think the key for this is getting the value added manufacturing occuring here - putting all the pieces together for the US market.

Comment

Originally posted by psiebold1
                            I would have though industrial properties along Yellowhead would have shot up some more. Hah, highrise industrial complexes. That'd be neat. Not likely, but neat.
                            That is the way industrial complexes use to be several stories high - this was to make more efficiennt use of the belts from the coal or water powered engines.

Comment

Could Edmonton be next for Greyhound

Just saw this article from Winnipeg about Greyhound moving from downtown to their airport. Kind of interesting that it seems to be a Port Alberta kind of theme.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sub...-4738851c.html

I have heard rumors of Edmonton's main Greyhound station moving near the current VIA station. Could a move to the airport be a possibility with a small depot downtown? In the article it also mentioned Canada Post was building a mail sorting plant out there. Any possibility of us doing the same? Hmm, Canada Post downtown to airport?
                              My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

Comment

Originally posted by booster View Post
                                I have heard rumors of Edmonton's main Greyhound station moving near the current VIA station. Could a move to the airport be a possibility with a small depot downtown? In the article it also mentioned Canada Post was building a mail sorting plant out there. Any possibility of us doing the same? Hmm, Canada Post downtown to airport?
                                I would love a Greyhound move like that to the Airport. With a bit of luck, they could run an express bus for us to downtown (but a smaller station please, or just a stop), since our city has not shown much initiative in making that happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X