Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you kidding, UCP?

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...provincial-nod
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Cat View Post
      Thank goodness. It's a waste of money and would end up with a half built line.
      Min 5-6 mill pax per year they say. That's like 150+ trains a day with 100 people each on board. And that's the minimum. A train every 9 mins.

Comment

Last time I went to Calgary was 12 years ago to a 2 day seminar.

Who wants to go to Calgary if the first place?

I am a public transit advocate and I will repeat the truth, HyperLoop/High Speed Rail would be the biggest white elephant in Alberta's Canada's history.

I liked the comments in the Calgary Herald

Best one by Craig Smith; "It is almost a great idea. Make it go from Calgary to Vancouver. And make it carry oil instead of people."
        Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

I am laughing as the article says "blueprint calls for stations in downtown Calgary, the city’s airport, Red Deer and Edmonton International Airport" with NO mention of a station in Downtown Edmonton as it's dead without it. I guess the plan for for YEG is to use it as a big parking lot to take the train to YYC.

Comment

Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
            Last time I went to Calgary was 12 years ago to a 2 day seminar.

Who wants to go to Calgary if the first place?

i know people who have never been to edmonton. that doesn't mean no-one wants to come here.

and, for what it's worth, i know people who have never been to montreal either. it doesn't mean no-one wants to go there either.
            "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

Kcantor, you know full well the High Speed Rail debate

You wouldn't get 5-6 million passengers per day on the 401 corridor between Toronto and Montreal that has 18 million people https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec...ndsor_Corridor

There are only 27,000 vehicles per day on HWY 2 at Morningside. Probably 20-25% is truck traffic. Another 50-60% are people who are traveling further to Banff, Vancouver, Kelowna, or north to Grand Prairie, Smoky Lake or Fort Mac or need to carry some cargo. That leaves 20-25% of 27,000 = roughly 6,000 @ 1.5 pax/vehicle is about 9,000

Of that 9,000, many people won't want to pay for a Hyperloop ticket or several for the whole family or need a car to get to their destination in either city. So, you might have 3,000 paying passengers.

The wild Hyperloop projections of 5-6 million pax is 13,700 to 16,400 pax per day is about 5 times the realistic demand for any scenario.
              Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 25-11-2019, 04:35 PM.
              Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

from a potential passenger capacity, the only thing hyperloops's projections do is to make high speed rail look slightly less stupid as a business proposition. and as far as the high speed rail passenger numbers go, based on some of what i posted elsewhere even your counts here are wildly optimistic.

i was only commenting on your hypothetical "who wants to go to calgary in the first place". certainly not enough to warrant hyperloop or high speed rail but certainly not no-one either.
                "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

But there is a real "who wants to go to calgary in the first place" argument. What does Calgary have that Edmonton doesn't? Malls with the same chain stores, same restaurant franchises, same weather, no beaches, no ocean, no mountains. Sure it has attractions such as their library, the zoo and museums but the real result of installing Hyperloop will be the the name change of EIA to ERA. The Edmonton International Airport to the Edmonton Regional Airport.

Comment

I cannot believe this is back...again.

Would this be neat for the odd time I'd use it?

yes

Would this be a technological game-changer?

maybe. It could be a white elephant too.

Would this rely on cannibalizing all YEG-YYC traffic into one aerodrome to make this viable?

Yes

I could go on. The arguments have not changed one iota since this came up in 1984, and successive iterations. It is a nice fantasy, but it is not viable in a private enterprise sense. We simply do not have the population, nor the inter-urban demand, for this. If we were a province of 70 million...then maybe.
                    President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

This is going to keep coming back up every 3-7 years till its built, or we cease to exist
                      A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

^My money's on the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenco View Post
                          Thought I would post this again.
                          “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Comment

Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
                            Kcantor, you know full well the High Speed Rail debate

You wouldn't get 5-6 million passengers per day on the 401 corridor between Toronto and Montreal that has 18 million people https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec...ndsor_Corridor

There are only 27,000 vehicles per day on HWY 2 at Morningside. Probably 20-25% is truck traffic. Another 50-60% are people who are traveling further to Banff, Vancouver, Kelowna, or north to Grand Prairie, Smoky Lake or Fort Mac or need to carry some cargo. That leaves 20-25% of 27,000 = roughly 6,000 @ 1.5 pax/vehicle is about 9,000

Of that 9,000, many people won't want to pay for a Hyperloop ticket or several for the whole family or need a car to get to their destination in either city. So, you might have 3,000 paying passengers.

The wild Hyperloop projections of 5-6 million pax is 13,700 to 16,400 pax per day is about 5 times the realistic demand for any scenario.
                            Shut down the airport and you could add more traffic.
                            Plus:
                            Consolidate head offices
                            Consolidate high-end retail
                            Consolidate high-end services like lawyers...
                            Last edited by KC; 26-11-2019, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X