X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edmonton/Calgary Hyperloop One Link

From today's Edmonton Journal.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...6-b20e6f497a9a
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

I don't want to see this happen.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Comment

Nope, I don't either
      Animals are my passion.

Comment

Same. Not in Edmonton’s interests.

Comment

They say they can build it for 6 billion? What is the land cost for 300 km of land, not to mention actually building the thing?

Comment

It would kill EIA

Comment

Another PRT idea?
              Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Maybe there can be gondolas...
                I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Comment

My comments here are exactly the same as HSR.
                  • We simply do not have the ridership at the level needed to make this profitable. There is no way this is a private venture at these margins.
                  • Ed/Cal is ~3 million. That isn't even metro Seattle.
                  • Depending on routing, this could kill our direct air service to anywhere. Currently, people hate changing planes, let alone getting on a train
                  • this is still point to point, without taking into account your final destination. Depending on needs, etc., driving is often more applicable.

That said, and same with HSR, the technology is cool, the engineering is exciting, and I can see this working in the Northeast or the Western I-5 corridor...
                  President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

What ever happened to Hover Trains?

https://youtu.be/qUXEFj0t7Ek
                    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Comment

Wow...that is a blast from the past...
                      President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
                        • We simply do not have the ridership at the level needed to make this profitable. There is no way this is a private venture at these margins.
                        • Depending on routing, this could kill our direct air service to anywhere. Currently, people hate changing planes, let alone getting on a train
                        • this is still point to point, without taking into account your final destination. Depending on needs, etc., driving is often more applicable.

That said, and same with HSR, the technology is cool, the engineering is exciting, and I can see this working in the Northeast or the Western I-5 corridor...
                        Totally concur and parallel my thoughts since HSR was first proposed. I still remember the knee slapping sales pitch that the Edmonton-Calgary corridor "busiest economic corridors in all of Canada." from Intergovernmental Relations Minister Guy Boutilier and the very biased (flawed) Van Horne report. Obviously they never have traveled the Winsor-Toronto-Montreal-Quebec City Corridor with over 18 million people, 6 times more than Alberta's.

I actually had a meeting with then Transportation Minister, Ed Stelmach and when he asked me for my opinion on HSR, I bluntly told him that "High Speed Rail would be the biggest white elephant in Alberta's history" and laid out the facts as you eloquently did RichardS, above. It was not the response Ed Stelmach wanted to hear.

But it was the correct one...

Reads...
                        https://www.ctvnews.ca/trainwreck-ca...ilure-1.588692
                        http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ttee-1.2652342
                        Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 22-04-2018, 08:00 PM.
                        Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Originally posted by Spudly View Post
                          Maybe there can be gondolas...
                          High Speed Gondola!!!

Or

Hyper Loop Gondolas

They can already do 100 kmh so it’s just a matter of time

Includes a great view on the trip too! When one isn’t puking from that up and down business.

Comment

Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
                            Originally posted by RichardS View Post

Totally concur and parallel my thoughts since HSR was first proposed. I still remember the knee slapping sales pitch that the Edmonton-Calgary corridor "busiest economic corridors in all of Canada." from Intergovernmental Relations Minister Guy Boutilier and the very biased (flawed) Van Horne report. Obviously they never have traveled the Winsor-Toronto-Montreal-Quebec City Corridor with over 18 million people, 6 times more than Alberta's.

I actually had a meeting with then Transportation Minister, Ed Stelmach and when he asked me for my opinion on HSR, I bluntly told him that "High Speed Rail would be the biggest white elephant in Alberta's history" and laid out the facts as you eloquently did RichardS, above. It was not the response Ed Stelmach wanted to hear.

But it was the correct one...

Reads...
                            https://www.ctvnews.ca/trainwreck-ca...ilure-1.588692
                            http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ttee-1.2652342
                            Not to mention that it could strip all remaining head offices out of Edmonton.

Comment

Originally posted by kkozoriz View Post
                              They say they can build it for 6 billion? What is the land cost for 300 km of land, not to mention actually building the thing?
                              Always double the estimate.

$12 billion in this case.

Comment

Working...
                              X