HOV Lane to the EIA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOV Lane to the EIA?

I was skimming through the newest CRB draft growth plan and found some interesting points in the regional multi-modal transit principles:

http://capitalregionboard.ab.ca/-/me...ril-132016.pdf

5.4.1 Access to the Edmonton International Airport will be improved by:

a. Providing effective, fast and reliable high-order transit service to the Edmonton International Airport;

b. Ensuring an effective network of roadways and access including built-in redundancy and alternates to the QE2 Highway; and

c. Ensuring airport access routes include transit preferential features to isolate bus-based transit services from road congestion.
    Bold sections seem to suggest a new HOV lane system for bus routes to the EIA. My first reaction is positive - seems like a great idea. It could be expanded for taxis as well, or carpool for maybe 3+ people.

Is the traffic to EIA congested?
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Sometimes it absolutely is during rush hour to Nisku/beyond industrial areas. However keep in mind this plan is through to 2044, so they are thinking way ahead.

Comment

^^^Or, extending 170 St to highway 19 and running LRT to YEG.

Comment

Proper interchanges at the access points to Nisku should have been made 20 years ago. The existing half cloverleaf/half diamond is ridiculous. It is especially bad id heavy trucks have to make a stop and then need a huge break in E-W traffic to attempt to make a left turn up a grade. Traffic backs up for a kilometer or more to the off ramp.
          Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

I can see it in 20-30 years from now. Assuming we don't have LRT there.
            www.decl.org

Comment

Having the main entry to Nisku and the airport at the same underbuilt overpass is the real problem, and they're about to make it a lot worse by throwing in a sprawling outlet mall off the same device.
              "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

Originally posted by Chmilz View Post
                Having the main entry to Nisku and the airport at the same underbuilt overpass is the real problem, and they're about to make it a lot worse by throwing in a sprawling outlet mall off the same device.
                Agree. Remove Nisku access and more get it down and up.

Comment

Aren't both overpasses getting a revamp soon?
                  " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Comment

I see collector lanes and express lanes (similar to parts of the 401 in Toronto but not as wide) but not HOV lanes
                    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Working...
                    X