Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$15M airport road project should aid traffic flow

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • $15M airport road project should aid traffic flow

    $15M airport road project should aid traffic flow, eliminate bottlenecks


    BY BILL MAH, EDMONTON JOURNAL



    The Edmonton International Airport has started work on a $15-million road project to improve traffic flow, especially at a frequently bottlenecked highway off-ramp.

    “We’re looking to do some significant upgrades to respond to increased traffic that we’re seeing and to prepare for things like the Outlet Collection development that’s underway as well,” said EIA director of communications Heather Hamilton.

    The construction project, which started Wednesday, will take a year to finish.

    One major traffic problem that airport officials hope to fix is the off-ramp from the southbound Queen Elizabeth II Highway that leads either east to Nisku or west to the airport.

    “The first immediate and biggest benefit that people are going to appreciate is that, between here and December, we expect to put signals at the intersection of Highway 2 and Airport Road,” Hamilton said.

    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...046/story.html


    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  • #2
    ^yuck. That's gonna be a pain in the *** leaving the airport.

    Comment


    • #3
      Think you missed the point

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by DTrobotnik View Post
        Think you missed the point
        Gets people parking at the airport there fast, but screw everyone else who is just doing a drop off, or picking someone up then heading home, arriving late for a business meeting, or arriving at EIA and the city for the first time etc?

        Okay, gotcha.
        Last edited by etownboarder; 10-09-2015, 05:16 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by IanO View Post
          $15M airport road project should aid traffic flow, eliminate bottlenecks


          BY BILL MAH, EDMONTON JOURNAL



          The Edmonton International Airport has started work on a $15-million road project to improve traffic flow, especially at a frequently bottlenecked highway off-ramp.

          “We’re looking to do some significant upgrades to respond to increased traffic that we’re seeing and to prepare for things like the Outlet Collection development that’s underway as well,” said EIA director of communications Heather Hamilton.

          The construction project, which started Wednesday, will take a year to finish.

          One major traffic problem that airport officials hope to fix is the off-ramp from the southbound Queen Elizabeth II Highway that leads either east to Nisku or west to the airport.

          “The first immediate and biggest benefit that people are going to appreciate is that, between here and December, we expect to put signals at the intersection of Highway 2 and Airport Road,” Hamilton said.

          http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...046/story.html
          How every small town of EIA, unless they leave room to do a eventual grade separated free-flow interchange to access the airport like the International airports in that southern neighbour of ours (the USA, not Calgary).

          Comment


          • #6
            ^ Yes, agree it's very small town, shoe-string budgetish. The capacity of that at-grade crossing will be rapidly outgrown.

            Comment


            • #7
              The main priority should be the terminal, not the outlet mall. I would hate to miss a flight because of every man and his dog traffic jamming the roads to get into the outlet mall.
              “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

              Comment


              • #8
                My concern is the 1 lane freeflo road that veers off to the right toward the terminal...one accident and access is totally blocked for traffic on that road. But they are providing 2 lanes straight through to the shopping centre...like they haven't a clue about what the priority is. You would think 2-3 freeflo lanes would be provided to miss lights - and "move" traffic. Maybe the same brain trust Edmonton used for the metro line? We just fired the City Manager...maybe the airport CEO needs the boot at well?
                Last edited by EdmTrekker; 10-09-2015, 08:54 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Isn't the biggest problem at that corner people going to Nisku at rush hour? Doesn't this address that problem?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    15 million dollar band-aid. Put that money towards a full reconfiguration of the interchange with a proper connection to QEII northbound. And like others have mentioned, the priority should be the airport, not the mall.
                    Over the years they have added more and more traffic lights along the road to actually get to the airport, and it looks like this will add 2 more.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      With the low oil prices, traffic seems to be fixing itself in the Nisku area.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Using this intersection everyday I would disagree that it's fixing itself.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Hang on a sec...are they naming a street after Reg Milley?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by SP59 View Post
                            Isn't the biggest problem at that corner people going to Nisku at rush hour? Doesn't this address that problem?
                            That's what I thought, the issue is cars exiting, and turning left, and causing a block back down QEII exit. That block, then messes up people going to the airport. This seems to fix it. Not sure why people are complaining, in that, its being paid for by the airport, that's pretty good I think. The airport is resolving their issue, and they are easing the issue for people going to Nisku for work as well. I haven't often been a fan of YEG, but I like this.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Jofc View Post
                              With the low oil prices, traffic seems to be fixing itself in the Nisku area.
                              Even if it is fixing itself, that congestion relief will be temporary. Oil prices will eventually rebound, and so will traffic volumes into Nisku. We should be planning long-term, and executing that plan during a downturn when construction costs are more affordable.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X