No announcement yet.

$15M airport road project should aid traffic flow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ultimate roadway configuration can be seen on about page 129 of this http://corporate.flyeia.com/sites/de...2035_part2.pdf (26 mb - takes a bit to load).

(not a transportation engineer, but have fond interesting in transporation as a side hobby... does that preclude me from commenting high-&-mighty sir? When did C2E become such a restricted confine where only actual engineers or those in the 'biz can debate things?)
    Last edited by Medwards; 14-09-2015, 08:11 PM.
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisD View Post
      I see many have become transportation engineers here. Anyways, this isn't the 'ultimate' roadway configuration and current volumes don't warrant anything further.
      Engineers/Planners also engineered/planned the South Edmonton Common roadway system. I'm sure volumes there didn't "warrant" anything better than what we have today. I believe most people's points are valid or at least worth a discussion. There are good and bad engineers as well, ask the North LRT team how their engineering is going.
      Last edited by LO 044; 15-09-2015, 06:41 AM.

Comment

I flew out yesterday and the long curved white stacked stone entrance feature wall was up, and returning tonight I see that it's being demolished. Too bad, I really liked it. Too bad it was a wasteful expense.

http://storage.torontosun.com/v1/dyn...y=80&size=650x
        Last edited by KC; 15-09-2015, 09:05 PM.

Comment

^its been there 15 years now. Paid for itself. Now we will get a new sign somewhere.

Comment

^It's not perhaps the cost as much as it is just a wasteful exercise in the building of it/materials wasted etc... We build things way too temporarily here, 15 years isn't much, and it was hardly in poor shape. C'est la vie I guess

Comment

Originally posted by etownboarder View Post
              ^its been there 15 years now. Paid for itself. Now we will get a new sign somewhere.
              Was it actually already 15 years?

Anyway, I can't see how it could have come close to paying for itself. If the airport people knew it would only have had a 15 yr lifespan I'm sure it would never have gone up. It's not like signage for a restaurant or business that potentially profits significantly from marginal customer traffic increases. Most people going to the airport knew exactly where it was well before encountering the signage. This sign was mostly about brand enhancement (aka image) and beautification.

Comment

^that sign, at the time of construction 15ish years ago, cost maybe $250,000 with the electrical? I'm sure the branding and marketing value for the sign was worth more than that... So yes, it paid for itself.

Comment

^that sign, at the time of construction 15ish years ago, cost maybe $250,000 with the electrical? I'm sure the branding and marketing value for the sign was worth more than that... So yes, it paid for itself.
                  I could only find a single photo of it via a Google search if the airport entrance.

Anyway, it doesn't matter much beyond my view that our planning and thinking suffers from far too short a horizon.

Comment

I was just at the Winnipeg airport last weekend. As i tend to do wherever i go i take note of the facilities/infrastructure in comparison to what we have at YEG. Winnipeg is a newer terminal but i took particular note with the roadway leading into the airport. Granted, their airport is much more integrated into the city but i though the aesthetics really stood out in comparison to ours. Things like curbing and landscaping being the obvious ones.

I get we are undergoing roadwork at the moment, and hopefully we will get a new sign/feature to greet those coming to and from our airport once this roadwork is complete.

One last thought was surrounding the arrivals pickup area. Obviously personal opinion but it just has a bit of a drab feeling to it, clearly it's not of the highest priority but the red canopies and the rendezvous sign for example just feel a bit dated.

Comment

Originally posted by Medwards View Post
                      The ultimate roadway configuration can be seen on about page 129 of this http://corporate.flyeia.com/sites/de...2035_part2.pdf (26 mb - takes a bit to load).
                      The document is only 117 pages, the actual proposed ultimate plan is on page 96, FYI if you add #page=xx you can direct someone to a specific page in a PDF document, however it will still be 26 Mb in size
                      http://corporate.flyeia.com/sites/de...t2.pdf#page=96

Comment

Originally posted by DTrobotnik View Post
                        Think you missed the point
                        Gets people parking at the airport there fast, but screw everyone else who is just doing a drop off, or picking someone up then heading home, arriving late for a business meeting, or arriving at EIA and the city for the first time etc?

Okay, gotcha.
                        Concur!!!!!!
                        Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

Comment

Working...
                        X