No announcement yet.

KLM | Amsterdam | Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm so happy for this KLM flight, for many reasons. Hope to be able to take it in the fall. Hearing many Europeans are using the flight to go to the Rockies via Edmonton, stay a few days in Edmonton, rather than just Calgary as was done before.
    www.decl.org

Comment

• ^many reasons!

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

• More positive reviews, full flight last night, our family members loved the plane, services, food, crew...basically everything. Don't think they will ever fly AC to LHR again.
        Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

Comment

• If LHR and LGW weren't so convenient to my destination in England, I think all these glowing reports on KLM would have me booking on them.

Sure, Icelandair would be an option but then I like to do the trip in one uninterrupted hop.
          Nisi Dominus Frustra

Comment

• Looks like KLM is reducing Edmonton to two x per week in mid January until mid February.
            That is normal for winter flights as other airlines and other routes are reduced during the slowest time of year to Europe

Comment

• Originally posted by howie View Post
              If LHR and LGW weren't so convenient to my destination in England, I think all these glowing reports on KLM would have me booking on them.

Sure, Icelandair would be an option but then I like to do the trip in one uninterrupted hop.
              Agreed. I will continue to use the LHR flight to go to the UK as long as it exists (please don't cancel it, AC!), but the KLM flight is still so exciting to have when I'm going to the continent (especially since I'm going to the Netherlands more often than not anyway).

I just got back Friday, by the way, and had the same great experience. Along with an additional benefit for Dutch-speaking yours truly that hadn't occurred to me in advance: the option of Dutch movies on the flight!
              “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

Comment

• Originally posted by Jarrod View Post
                Looks like KLM is reducing Edmonton to two x per week in mid January until mid February.
                That is normal for winter flights as other airlines and other routes are reduced during the slowest time of year to Europe
                It's also an effect of the bulk of their passengers longing for the Mediterranean, just as we're longing for Mexico/Caribbean. You put the plane where it profits the most.
                Let's make Edmonton better.

Comment

• Originally posted by howie View Post
                  If LHR and LGW weren't so convenient to my destination in England, I think all these glowing reports on KLM would have me booking on them.

I am torn, need to book a trip to see family in the UK but I have heard so many great things about KLM I may try to connect through Amsterdam then pop to Belgium at the end of my holiday for a few days which would make departing from Amsterdam very easy.
                  Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

Comment

• I have not verified, but in talking to some people I understand that a lot of BC passengers flying to AMS are being routed through Edmonton rather than Calgary or even Vancouver.
                    That is a good thing..

Comment

• ^ That's excellent! Wonder why though? (if that is indeed the case)

Comment

• Originally posted by bdejong View Post
                        I have not verified, but in talking to some people I understand that a lot of BC passengers flying to AMS are being routed through Edmonton rather than Calgary or even Vancouver.
                        That is a good thing..
                        Routed by who? KLM website give all the choices YYZ, YVR, YEG, YYC and lists earliest dept first from a connecting city. From Ft. Mac for example on the date I looked Calgary is first listed - and gets you into YYC for an earlier dept to AMS than YEG - of course arriving earlier than the flight from YEG. So KLM not routing connecting cities. They use EVERY airline including AC for connections and price it out accordingly. I wish they did "force" route through YEG - but I am not seeing it.
                        Last edited by EdmTrekker; 04-08-2015, 05:17 PM.

Comment

• ^ this came from someone in the interior of BC, who is the type to 'easily' proclaim things to be fact..
                          Again not verified, but curious whether others had heard the same.

Comment

• Originally posted by EdmTrekker View Post
                            Originally posted by bdejong View Post
                            I have not verified, but in talking to some people I understand that a lot of BC passengers flying to AMS are being routed through Edmonton rather than Calgary or even Vancouver.
                            That is a good thing..
                            Routed by who? KLM website give all the choices YYZ, YVR, YEG, YYC and lists earliest dept first from a connecting city. From Ft. Mac for example on the date I looked Calgary is first listed - and gets you into YYC for an earlier dept to AMS than YEG - of course arriving earlier than the flight from YEG. So KLM not routing connecting cities. They use EVERY airline including AC for connections and price it out accordingly. I wish they did "force" route through YEG - but I am not seeing it.
                            I like how bdejong was talking about BC, so you use Fort McMurray in your example.

Here's a sample of flights from Kelowna to Amsterdam. The cheapest option is Icelandair through Edmonton, while the quickest option is KLM, also through Edmonton. Search results from Kamloops are the same.

https://app.box.com/shared/static/ng...s5u8ihmqiw.jpg

Comment

• I used the KLM website - which allows you to select some smaller Canadian cities for points of departure...as the statement was "a lot of BC passengers flying to AMS are being routed through Edmonton rather than Calgary. I did not mention using google, kayak etc etc. - as only KLM could force routing. No doubt Icelander is lower cost and a great option.

Frankly I am pleased to see fares low bringing people into YEG as most regular posters would know.

Comment

• I recently flew YEG-AMS in business class (in July). Took a bunch of pictures (don't know how to upload).

Here's a summary of my experience:

Check-in: For the most part, it was pretty efficient. They could definitely spruce up the area a bit and make it better. I intentionally asked for a change in my itinerary and I was referred to to the customer service desk to the side. In fact, the check-in agent walked with me there which I thought was a very nice touch because I was flying in business class.. Their customer service desk fell short of expectations. The was three agents who didn't have time to help and the guy there said, if you want to make changes you will ave to pay at least $250 and it might take at least 20 minutes before we can help you. I simply walked away and decided to change my connecting flight in AMS.

I was given access to the Plaza Premium Lounge (I already have access though my Priority Pass card), but it was nice to see my name on a separate sheet at the check-in desk at the lounge which was provided by KLM to the lounge.

Boarding: Sky Priority travelers were invited to board and this went pretty smoothly.

On-Board Service: there was only 15 people in business (out of 30). I expected that number to be more. Some more work to be done by the KL sales department, perhaps??

Everyone in my row, except for me, was holding either German (family of three) or Dutch passports (family of two). The row in front of me was a family of four headed to Saudi Arabia (all with Saudi passports). The two kids spoke flawless Canadian English. I overheard the father while speaking to the attendant that he is involved in some oil business and that he was going to spend the summer to see family. The rest was all couples. So I felt that I was the only individual traveling on business.

Given that this was an A330-200, their product was really outdated. It reminded of the AC product back in the 90's and early 2000's. Seats are not very comfortable at all. But I think the flight attendant made up for that. I would say the average age was in the mid 50's with a ton of experience especially how they assisted the Saudi family with their kids and the way they made everyone feel welcome.

Food was ok but generous. (I am comparing their menu with the likes of SQ and CX). But nonetheless, I think they made sure everyone got to sample every item they had on board.

IFE system: Again this was a dated product. My sense is that the newer aircraft are equipped with something more sophisticated.

Amenities kit: Again, pretty basic when compared with CX, SQ (heck even AC). But the KLM Delft Blue houses gifts are a real treat and quite unique.

Landing in AMS: I have transited though AMS several times. And this was no different. Nice and efficient airport with many amenities.

Lounge in AMS: The place was quite busy and crowded. Food selection is limited compared to say AC's domestic lounge at Pearson.

Overall, I think the KL product is decent enough, but frankly AC's executive first is much better. Unless KL introduces its new aircraft, I can understand why business passengers would be reluctant to fly them from YEG.

I will try to post pictures once I figure out how.

Cheers!!

Comment

Working...
                                X