X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aerotropolis @ YEG

Plans take off for Edmonton-area aerotropolis

BY MARTY KLINKENBERG, EDMONTON JOURNAL JULY 3, 2014 7:43 AM

It sounds like a dance step or something straight from the pages of science fiction, but Leduc planners are hopeful an aerotropolis will help the regional economy reach new heights.

Aviation officials and representatives from the City of Leduc and Leduc County are collaborating on the project, which would see a 214-hectare parcel of land just south of Edmonton International Airport turned into a major development that would include hotels and restaurants, exhibition and conference centres, and manufacturing and distribution firms.

“The idea is to use the airport as an economic lever,” said Myron Keehn, the vice-president of commercial development at Edmonton International Airport. “It is a collaborative approach to drive the economy.”

One of only two airports in Canada identified as an emerging aerotropolis, Edmonton joins Vancouver in trying to duplicate the success of Amsterdam and Frankfurt, which have created successful economic corridors using a similar strategy. A portion of the parcel designated for the project, which has been under review for five years, overlaps with land proposed for annexation by the City of Edmonton.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin..._lsa=0ba1-2fb5

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Asides than the name how is this "straight from the pages of science fiction"? If they had PRT (God forbid that I raise that up) from the development to the parking lots maybe. But this is just fairly normal airport commercial/retail zone.

In truth we do need more restaurants, fast food chains, hotels near the airport so I do think its desirable for the area. I hope they also reserve a corridor for future LRT and perhaps HST or commuter rail and some sort of rail shuttle from the area to the various parking lots to the terminal.

Comment

Strangely enough. between the airport and the various developments popping ip around it, I could almost see LRT getting to Leduc before St. Albert or Sherwood Park.

Comment

^ i wouldn't bet a dollar on that statement.
        "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Sounds like a recipe for more urban sprawl

Comment

Just do the math The daily commuting population of St albert compared to what...

10 mill passengers- 10% catchment 2 trips per person over a full year. its like 5500 passengers a day.

There are way more cost effective ways to do this.
            "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Plus the roughly 90,000 cars a day that travel down QE2.
              http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...13.pdf#page=10

Comment

Considering south Edmonton has just moved further south (the Allards etc) the city is very quickly moving airport bound. Note that the city has also grown just as fast northwards.

Cities do this and with our economic outlook it will continue.

I feel like I'm talking to a vegetarian about meat when I have these conversations.

Comment

Originally posted by sundance View Post
                  Plus the roughly 90,000 cars a day that travel down QE2.
                  http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...13.pdf#page=10
                  is the LRT going to go to Calgary?

Anyways its redundant because the West LRT is the next priority.

Comment

Huh? Who is talking about LRT, I just mentioned allocating a corridor for the future. This thread is about Aerotropolis.

Comment

Once NW LRT gets to the Henday, if there are not concrete plans to extend into St. Albert, I predict that it will basically stay there. That location, with a large Park & Ride. would service St. Albert with no costs and large savings to that city.

I'm just saying that having the airport and large numbers of businesses, hotels, shops, etc in the vicinity of the airport could see the LRT heading south before it gets to any of the more established suburbs. Stranger things have happened.

Comment

I have always believed that a transit corridor to the airport should be reserved so that development could take place around the concept. In time it would allow an LRT route to be developed . In the medium term , I could foresee a paved BRT route . Asphalt is relatively cheap . I think in this application it would work .

Comment

^ a corridor has been reserved already. You can see it in the Airport master plan, and any NSP/ASP plans the city has for neighbourhoods it will pass through... I dont think there is any need to build the route until you are ready to go to full LRT. QEII works well enough already.
                          A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Someone wake me up when the LRT topic diversion has stopped and it goes back to the actual development.
                            “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Staples: Do we need a massive shopping complex way outside the city?
                              ‘Aerotropolis’ plan highlights need for city to control development at EIA

EDMONTON - What the heck is going on at the Edmonton International Airport?

A number of Edmonton city councillors are starting to wonder about and question the so-called “aerotropolis” plan for commercial and industrial expansion in and around the airport.

The City of Leduc, population 26,000, and the County of Leduc, population 12,000, are in on the Edmonton Regional Airports Authority’s aerotropolis plan. The three are hoping to build a massive commercial development south of the airport and its runways, both on county and airport lands. The aerotropolis is to include outlet stores, hotels, restaurants, exhibition and conference centres, and manufacturing and distribution firms.

As for Edmonton, we have little control over what happens out there. It’s not our land; at least not yet, anyway.

It has always been a sore point in Edmonton that our international airport is located so far outside the city, and the biggest question about the aerotropolis plan is on a related point — the notion of building a new outlet mall called The Landmark, with 85 stores, next to the airport.

Some councillors wonder if The Landmark will be like the sprawling CrossIron Mills mall development on the highway north of Calgary.

Is that kind of development green and smart city building? Shouldn’t a major shopping area be built nearer to its mass of clients?

More:
                              http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...664/story.html
                              “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Working...
                              X