• Show
Clear All

• Deal clears way for development in airport area

Deal clears way for development in airport area
    Article Tools
    Printer friendly
    Font: * * * * The Edmonton Journal
    Published: Thursday, March 09, 2006
    EDMONTON - A new development plan for the area around the international airport has finally been hammered out by stakeholders.

New provincial regulations on what can be built and where on existing and future flight paths were drawn up after extensive consultation between the City of Leduc, Leduc County, Parkland County, the City of Edmonton and Edmonton Airports.

Public meetings were also held last year to get input from residents, businesses and organizations in the municipalities affected by the new Airport Vicinity Protection Area (AVPA).

The provincial government acted as an independent broker on the deal, which minimizes the noise impact of airport operations on people and businesses in surrounding communities.

Municipal Affairs Minister Rob Renner said Wednesday the new plan will help ensure the future viability of the airport as traffic grows.

"Keeping the airport viable is integral to the continued growth and economic development of both the surrounding communities and the province as a whole."

One of the main concerns of the municipalities was that existing commercial and industrial developments be allowed to evolve.

And Leduc County Reeve John Whaley said he was pleased that development stalled during the review process can now proceed.

"This will help contribute to the economic growth in the region," he said.

Leduc Mayor Greg Krischke said the legislation protects airport growth while recognizing the realities of his community's ability to continue to be a strong, vibrant city in the Edmonton region.

Traffic growth at the airport, and the future requirement of a third runway, made it important to review the 1981 legislation, Edmonton Airports spokesperson Traci Bednard said.

"It has been a difficult process, but the municipalities and the province spent a significant amount of time to make sure we got it right.

"It's not perfect for everyone, but that's the art of compromise. We certainly want to be good neighbours."

Leduc-Beaumont-Devon MLA George Rogers, a former Leduc mayor, said the "very long" consultation process led to regulations that balance local, regional and provincial interests.

Development within the airport boundaries is governed by federal regulations.

To view a map of the AVPA, go to www.municipalaffairs.gov.ab.ca.

© The Edmonton Journal 2006

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Hooray!

I just wonder why the third runway will parallel 12/30?

02/20 would be better for noise abatement IMO...plus there is way more land and no need to redo highway 19, or have intersecting runways at the current 02/20 and about taxiway N.
    President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

Come on, YEG is about 30 years away from needing a third runway. Current traffic levels must use less than half available capacity and in my wildest dreams I can't see growth at more than 5%/year.

I would prefer to see more companies moving into AirLinks, that's real business development.
      Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

Comment

Originally posted by SteveB
        Come on, YEG is about 30 years away from needing a third runway.

I would prefer to see more companies moving into AirLinks, that's real business development.
        Maybe not 30 years, but it is a long way off. Look at the article and you will see that they are ensureing that the rapid growth of the area does not impede on the future growth and routes for YEG. YEG MUST remain curfew free and not be hampered by noise abatement regs. The only one is dep 12/arr 30, and let's KEEP it that way. Noise abatement, curfews, and no where to grow is what made YXD impractical to expand, so they are ensuring that this does not happen at YEG.

Currently, depending on winds, there are a plethora of departure and arrival paths they can use to increase the utilization of the current runways.

Amen on Airlinks.

Comment

So what kind of development are they looking at doing?

Would this include filling in the area between the city limits and the airport, which has nothing to look at except industrial businesses along the northbound route of the QE2 and empty fields along the southbound?

Hopefully it will be some high-class hotels, and not some more "inns" with tacky and embarrassing inflatable cowboys on their roofs.

I would hate to see this stretch turned into another Gasoline Alley.
          “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

My, but aren't we pious??? Gasoline Alley was voted the best architectural region in Alberta by the commission to "Make More Buffets for Rednecks" I'z gotta gets me dat blowie uppie hat!

WE NEED ANOTHER GLENN'S!!!.....like we need a hole in the head.

Seriously though SDM, AirLinks is really along the service road north of the airport and encompasses all the land between Red Tail, the hangers and highway 19. They are looking at mid level aircraft/cargo/service industrial or logistics companies relying on airfreight. Others are welcomed as far as I know.

As for the land between Nisku and Gateway park, there are no plans for the south side of the corridor that I am aware of or the County of Leduc has published, but the north is adding more industrial (i.e. LEDCOR). Given that some of that land is off the departure end of runway 02....and noise....well....er...don't expect miracles.

I agree, we don't need another Flamman Rental's mannequin on a treadmill....

Comment

Hey, you can't have a Gasoline Alley without a Christian book box-store!

Well, that's good to know that it's just the Airlink strip that's considered for development.

The main road from the QE2 to the airport itself could use some high-end hotels and some other retail services for air travellers. Wasn't there a golf course being planned for the area? The 7-11 looks kinda out of place though.

But any development must allow for airport expansion, which may be needed if YEG is to attract more transborder and international flights. What they've done to YEG thus far is excellent, it no longer looks like the Greyhound bus terminal it was 10 years ago.

As for the QE2 from the airport to city limits...let's hope any further development uses some common sense. Last things we need on that stretch of highway are eyesores and more f**king traffic lights.
              “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey
                Hey, you can't have a Gasoline Alley without a Christian book box-store!
                Parable's location is way better than Gospel's old location in a tiny low-ceilinged basement in dowtown Red Deer Plus it tends to be a lot cheaper than Edmonton's own Blessings Christian Marketplace.
                LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Comment

I find it quite sad that nothing has really changed at AirLinks for over a year now. It's so strategic to have logistics businesses located close to the airport.

Does anyone know if YEG are still looking for a major hotel partner for a terminal linked hotel (as per the original redevelopment plans)?
                  Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

Comment

Originally posted by SteveB
                    I find it quite sad that nothing has really changed at AirLinks for over a year now. It's so strategic to have logistics businesses located close to the airport.

Does anyone know if YEG are still looking for a major hotel partner for a terminal linked hotel (as per the original redevelopment plans)?

rumour has it that a chain with the letter "M" is close to finalizing.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Working...
                    X