No announcement yet.

Icelandair | Reykjavik-Keflavik | Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was looking at the cost.... it's not much different than here I find.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

• Originally posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
      Originally posted by Glenco View Post
      It will be interesting to see how AC responds to Icelandair, if at all. Just how much traffic will lose before they do something.
      I bet they pull the London flight... o well. We have New York to connect with the world.
      Oh, god, I hope not!

Now you have me worried.
      “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

Comment

• Originally posted by Idealistic Pragmatist View Post
        Originally posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
        It will be interesting to see how AC responds to Icelandair, if at all. Just how much traffic will lose before they do something.
        I bet they pull the London flight... o well. We have New York to connect with the world.
        Oh, god, I hope not!

Now you have me worried.
        I doubt very much they would pull the LHR flight. If they start to lose to much FRA traffic I was thinking they would introduce a new flight there.
        “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Comment

• Originally posted by Glenco View Post
          Originally posted by Idealistic Pragmatist View Post
          Originally posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
          Oh, god, I hope not!

Now you have me worried.
          I doubt very much they would pull the LHR flight. If they start to lose to much FRA traffic I was thinking they would introduce a new flight there.
          I agree with that logic.

Comment

• Agreed, if anything I think the competition is going to make AC relook at the market. Especially because Icelandair is a direct competitor with AC; don't under estimate the amount of traffic this new route to KEF is going to take away from AC. We've are a good feeder market for Air Canada in the transborder and international markets...hopefully this changes things just a bit...nothing major expected, maybe just a little more attention.

Comment

• Its funny to read some of the comments from people in yyc about this flight and how yeg got it and they were over looked. My favorite was about how in the modern age of flight its crazy to have to make a pit stop mid Atlantic.

Im glad we got this flight and am definitely going to try and make use of it for myself and family.

Comment

• It is interesting to observe reactions from a few cities not just those in YYC. To me it shows how Edmonton's market is misunderstood. Over at Calgarypucks forum, there has been some interesting comments.

For due to Edmonton not having a presence in the market like Calgary, our fortunes have been overlooked and people still put Edmonton on the same level of a city of Winnipeg in many cases. A quick look at the cities economics and growth shows this is not true. I work in Calgary a lot and it is crazy how people still think Edmonton is struggling.

One thing that I pointed out to my coworker the day they announced the flight to KEF was that the media kept saying the airport handles around 6.5 million passengers a year. If it were Calgary, or any media that uses the laws of rounding up they would have said 7 million since the passenger flow last year was closer to 6.8. Minor but typical of our media to show the glass half empty.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brentk View Post
                  Agreed, if anything I think the competition is going to make AC relook at the market. Especially because Icelandair is a direct competitor with AC; don't under estimate the amount of traffic this new route to KEF is going to take away from AC. We've are a good feeder market for Air Canada in the transborder and international markets...hopefully this changes things just a bit...nothing major expected, maybe just a little more attention.
                  Agree also.
                  The FI flight will hurt KLM in YYC, AC/LH to FRA from YYC, and a few AC destinations from YYZ.
                  Middle east connecting pax will continue to use LHR ex Edmonton and London bound PAX will also likely continue to take the AC LHR flight from YEG.

UA EWR may be minorly impacted as they often have good prices for europe connections - but the YEG EWR O&D market is strong enough that this shouldn't be an issue.

Comment

• ^^^
                    That shows me the people operating this airline is very intelligent! They don't want competition, but want a market with potential. Calgary is oversatuated. They slid in the back door, and once again, this is what EIA has to do...

^^
                    Very true, but we were on par with them for growth, with exception of the office sector.
                    I think we will lead now, for the fact that their office growth will subside- this will include population as well. Jobs in Alberta now is in the 'blue collar sector' and we own that... not sure if anyone agrees.
                    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Comment

• FI and EIA were very smart. What also helps is timing. AC is focused on maintaining market share the WS is trying to take with ENCORE, and launching Rouge. I know numerous people that have flown FI via SEA because of the price point. Now that they are hear, I predict that they will have great success. I'm curious what happens with the next few announcements as already discussed in depth. Will we see a Spring or Fall launch of another route (Transborder). Anymore WestJet moves outside of YYZ or YYC?

Comment

• ^
                        Concur with you Brent! THIS why I been perturbed with ***Canada for decades that I cant/wont spell their name-for those that are curious. They better reanalyzed their strategy. Toronto and Van are fine for hubs, but that format has to change/augment with Canadian major cities hence WS success- especially with Edmonton.

My guess with transboarder announcement would be southeast US. That would complete transboarder strategic procurement.
                        " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Comment

• I don't hold much issue with AC or WS, they are operating out of YYC, I understand their strategy for the most part. Just sucks to be YEG, EIA has done a very good job pulling in business considering.

While SE US would be nice, I don't see a MIA connection happening before DFW.

Comment

• We just booked a spring trip to the UK, march 28 to LHR, return April 11 via MAN on icelandair. $854 each. AC $1535 each return from LHR. We normally fly on AC to LHR twice per year but this time we can't ignore the $2724 savings for our family of four. Now is the time to book as I don't think we will fares this low again for the UK.

Comment

• Originally posted by metro View Post
                              We just booked a spring trip to the UK, march 28 to LHR, return April 11 via MAN on icelandair. $854 each. AC $1535 each return from LHR. We normally fly on AC to LHR twice per year but this time we can't ignore the $2724 savings for our family of four. Now is the time to book as I don't think we will fares this low again for the UK.
                              That is an amazing savings and I am sure you are getting in quicker than a connection from LHR or LGW. That savings goes a long way to tuition...or pays for 4 more tickets foe the next flights.

Comment

• $909 to Munich in July for us! Hello Icelandair!

Comment

Working...
                                X