Icelandair | Reykjavik-Keflavik | Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Icelandair | Reykjavik-Keflavik | Discussion

I realise we have been conversing under route developments, but it this deserves its own thread. Not since 2006 has EIA received a new scheduled International route (minus defunct Mexicana)

EIA to announce major new international non-stop destination
    Friday, August 30, 2013

August 30, 2013 (Edmonton, AB) – News and industry media are invited to attend the announcement of a major new international non-stop destination from EIA.

Participants will include:

• The Hon. Dr. Richard Starke, Minister of Tourism, Parks and Recreation
    • His Worship Stephen Mandel, Mayor of Edmonton
    • Brad Ferguson, President and CEO, Edmonton Economic Development Corporation
    • Reg Milley, President and CEO, Edmonton Airports
    • Senior executives of an international airline

When: Tuesday, Sept. 3, 2013 at 10:30 a.m.

Where: Edmonton City Hall – City Room (Main Atrium)

Please RSVP to Chris Chodan at (780) 890-8454 or [email protected]

If this turns out to be Icelandair, I'm not so sure I would call it a MAJOR route.

Let's be realistic. Yes, it will be a great addition. But major is a bit too much for KEF.

Just saying....

Comment

Icelandair from KEF to::
      Year Round Service to: Amsterdam, Boston, Copenhagen, Denver, Frankfurt, Glasgow-International, Helsinki, London-Gatwick, London-Heathrow, Manchester, Munich, New York-JFK, Newark (begins 28 October 2013),[6] Oslo-Gardermoen, Paris-Charles de Gaulle, Seattle/Tacoma, Stockholm-Arlanda, Toronto-Pearson
      Summer seasonal: Anchorage,[7] Barcelona, Bergen, Billund, Brussels, Gothenburg-Landvetter, Halifax, Hamburg, Madrid, Milan-Malpensa, Minneapolis/St. Paul, St. Petersburg,[7], Stavanger, Trondheim, Washington-Dulles, Zurich[7]
      Summer seasonal charter: Dublin
      Winter seasonal: Orlando-Sanford

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keflav%...tional_Airport
      http://www.icelandair.ca

Comment

Originally posted by EdmTrekker View Post
        Icelandair from KEF to::
        Year Round Service to: Amsterdam, Boston, Copenhagen, Denver, Frankfurt, Glasgow-International, Helsinki, London-Gatwick, London-Heathrow, Manchester, Munich, New York-JFK, Newark (begins 28 October 2013),[6] Oslo-Gardermoen, Paris-Charles de Gaulle, Seattle/Tacoma, Stockholm-Arlanda, Toronto-Pearson
        Summer seasonal: Anchorage,[7] Barcelona, Bergen, Billund, Brussels, Gothenburg-Landvetter, Halifax, Hamburg, Madrid, Milan-Malpensa, Minneapolis/St. Paul, St. Petersburg,[7], Stavanger, Trondheim, Washington-Dulles, Zurich[7]
        Summer seasonal charter: Dublin
        Winter seasonal: Orlando-Sanford

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keflav%...tional_Airport
        http://www.icelandair.ca
        Please and thankyou.
        I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Comment

As hopeful as I am about the potential Icelandic Airway service. I note that the announcement is supposed to be for a major international NON- STOP Destination. I don't think that Keflavik is it . All the major destinations route through this North Atlantic stopover point. Perhaps we should be looking at other potential carriers in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by Hull534 View Post
            As hopeful as I am about the potential Icelandic Airway service. I note that the announcement is supposed to be for a major international NON- STOP Destination. I don't think that Keflavik is it . All the major destinations route through this North Atlantic stopover point. Perhaps we should be looking at other potential carriers in this case.
            You are correct it does say non stop so my guess is a pre.emptive stike by AC to FRA.
            “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Comment

For those of you who require a geography lession, Iceland is international
              “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

It's the words major and destination that rule it out for me.

Comment

maybe honk kong on cathay pacific?

Comment

Yeah, it all sounds a bit 'not bad for round here'. Still, let's wait and see.
                    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Comment

Hmmm probably Reykjavik-Keflavik on Icelandair, but a few more possibilities...

Amsterdam on KLM. They seem to be doing well on their YYC run, they have expanded frequencies frequently.

Dallas on AA. Yes, it is still international, I doubt a press release would say "transborder".

Mexico City on Volaris or Interjet. Both airlines have been expanding into the States lately.

Frankfurt on Air Canada. Doubtful, but not impossible.

As much as I would love Asia, I doubt any Asian airline would add YEG before YYC.

Comment

I assume FlightStats or other w-site will show any incoming traffic (Execs) on "new" metal and id the dept City the day(s) before...otherwise the Execs are travelling on an existing flight /carrier.

Comment

Originally posted by Perspective View Post
                          It's the words major and destination that rule it out for me.
                          Could be just hyperbole
                          “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Isn't KEF the code for Kiel Airport (Hamburg)?
                            "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

^ That's KEL

Comment

Working...
                              X