X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dave View Post
    Originally posted by noodle View Post
    Yeah, it's people's attitudes that's stopping airlines from choosing Edmonton & not basic capitalism. Clearly it can't be as simple as airlines getting a better return elsewhere, there's gotta be some deep-seated, purely emotional reason why we don't get the service we are so clearly entitled to.

Gotcha.
    What's so great about that dried up place on the prairies a few hours south? Only one thing they don't have the negative attitude about their own city that some people here do. If you don't respect yourself - no one else will

Gotcha back punk !

fake it till you make it doesn't really work in this scenario
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

• Economic realities don't get erased or ignored by profit-seeking corporations through the power of positive thinking. Jeezus, this thread is making my brain hurt.
      “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Medwards View Post
        Originally posted by Dave View Post
        Yeah, it's people's attitudes that's stopping airlines from choosing Edmonton & not basic capitalism. Clearly it can't be as simple as airlines getting a better return elsewhere, there's gotta be some deep-seated, purely emotional reason why we don't get the service we are so clearly entitled to.

Gotcha.
        What's so great about that dried up place on the prairies a few hours south? Only one thing they don't have the negative attitude about their own city that some people here do. If you don't respect yourself - no one else will

Gotcha back punk !
        Yes, I realize more people go to Banff than Jasper. I am guessing that due to the proximity to Calgary, many of those are actually day or weekend travelers from Calgary and area for at least a good portion of the year. I would not assume every visitor to Banff is an international or national traveler arriving by air and that sort of travel is seasonal, not steady throughout the year.

The head office employment chart again contradicts some of the arguments made earlier here. Montreal, which is in close proximity to Ottawa, actually has a higher head office employment than Calgary (and it seems to being up lately, not down like Calgary's). Wouldn't that trend suggest Ottawa's air service should be going down and Montreal's up? Of course, the word head office could refer to many different sizes of companies also, some companies may have a head office, but depending on size or other factors do very little air travel, so the head office count is at best a crude measurement either way.

Comment

• I thought Edmonton's climate was too cold for sour grapes, but it looks like Dave has a bumper crop.
          Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave View Post
            Originally posted by Medwards View Post

Gotcha.

Gotcha back punk !
            Yes, I realize more people go to Banff than Jasper. I am guessing that due to the proximity to Calgary, many of those are actually day or weekend travelers from Calgary and area for at least a good portion of the year. I would not assume every visitor to Banff is an international or national traveler arriving by air and that sort of travel is seasonal, not steady throughout the year.

The head office employment chart again contradicts some of the arguments made earlier here. Montreal, which is in close proximity to Ottawa, actually has a higher head office employment than Calgary (and it seems to being up lately, not down like Calgary's). Wouldn't that trend suggest Ottawa's air service should be going down and Montreal's up? Of course, the word head office could refer to many different sizes of companies also, some companies may have a head office, but depending on size or other factors do very little air travel, so the head office count is at best a crude measurement either way.
            It seems that there's this one apparent fact that you can't really wrap your head around in this 'Montreal/Ottawa' thing

Ottawa = nations capital. Little wonder why it gets international flights before Edmonton? If you can't figure out why Ottawa is just a few more notches more of an important destination to international travel than this pimple on a prairie... I'm at a loss to further explain it. It has nothing to do with the population size either. The nation's capital could be the population size of Saskatoon, but because its the nations capital, it will be a bigger draw for international flights.
            Calgary = finance capital of the west and the province, actual tourist destination next door... and beat YEG to the regional hub thing with all the airlines by a few decades while we tried to sort out YXD vs YEG.
            Edmonton = provincial capital...

Sorry, nothing pathetic about reality. Continue to fill your boots on bitching and complaining about your pathetic propositions that Edmonton is being cheated or something. There is certainly not enough room in the province for 2 major international airports within a blink of eye of each other.

We are not being overlooked, we are not even being considered, and that's because its reality.

My response has nothing to do with attitude or pride in my city. My response is a direct view into the reality of the world... and so sorry if your rose-coloured views on Edmonton on the world's aviation market place are over-obviously-biased in favour of your hometown.
            Using your logic, there actually should be no international flights from Ottawa, as Montreal is "within a blink of eye of it". Montreal is a city three times the size of Ottawa with a bigger international airport too and a major regional financial centre.

Admit it, you love Calgary and love to put down Edmonton.
            It's the NATIONS CAPITAL CITY

Admit it, you can't see past your rose-coloured hometown glasses.
            A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

• Originally posted by noodle View Post
              I thought Edmonton's climate was too cold for sour grapes, but it looks like Dave has a bumper crop.
              Here is something I just saw, with less negativity

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/lifestyle/...ort/ar-AAHBFDq

Comment

• Swoop partners with Sunwing
                Another shakeup in Canada’s holiday air travel market as Swoop and Sunwing are partnering on vacation packages from select cities.

The move will allow passengers in Edmonton, Abbotsford, Winnipeg, London, and Hamilton to book Sunwing packages but fly on Swoop flights to sun destinations in Mexico. More than half of Swoop’s winter schedule is bound for destinations in the southern United States and Mexico, including Mazatlan, Los Cabos, Perto Vaillarta, and Cancun.

https://westernaviationnews.com/2019...-with-sunwing/

“Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Comment

• This is just me thinking out loud...

When AC cancelled the YEG-LHR flight, that slot at LHR went to YVR. YVR-LHR went to twice daily. Now that second daily flight has been cancelled. What will AC now do with that slot at LHR?

Comment

• FYI - KLM to AMS is $825 return all in for their 100th...

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

• ^ what dates, and when do you have to buy by?
                      "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Comment

• Till the end of April.... unsure the cutoff.

Comment

• Maybe EIA will get their famous lady on the payroll that works in Eastern Canada to talk to Air Canada.

She is doing a great job by the way.

Originally posted by TheGreatestX View Post
                          This is just me thinking out loud...

When AC cancelled the YEG-LHR flight, that slot at LHR went to YVR. YVR-LHR went to twice daily. Now that second daily flight has been cancelled. What will AC now do with that slot at LHR?

Comment

• WestJet cancels 1x weekly LGW summer seasonal service in 2020

Another win by the crackerjack EIA team:

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...ervice-in-s20/

Our 1x weekly slot goes to YVR instead.

Comment

• Disappointing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Taras View Post
                                Another win by the crackerjack EIA team:

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...ervice-in-s20/

Our 1x weekly slot goes to YVR instead.
                                I don't understand the sentiment. We had the route, obviously weren't supporting it with pax numbers, so it goes somewhere else. I think EIA should be playing only a minor part in advertising and promoting such routes.

Comment

Working...
                                X