Westjet's woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westjet's woes

Incredibly unfortunate and disheartening to read about the effect of COVID-19 on the airlines. Having said that, I hope that Ed Sims gives consideration to running some of those Dreamliner flights out of YEG. Possibly direct to England or Maui. Not sure that they can continue to afford to haver a myopic view of Calgary having to be the centre of their universe any longer.

Westjet used to be something better. Now it seems to be trying to be an Air Canada wanna be.

I don't think it will go under, but I have to say at this point I don't think its worth saving if it did. I don't think a duopoly serves Canada any better than a monopoly

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
      Westjet used to be something better. Now it seems to be trying to be an Air Canada wanna be.

I don't think it will go under, but I have to say at this point I don't think its worth saving if it did. I don't think a duopoly serves Canada any better than a monopoly
      AC only serves 12 destinations non-stop from YEG. WestJet serves 27. It would be a huge loss for YEG if WestJet went under. I fail to see how a monopoly would serve us better?

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatestX View Post

AC only serves 12 destinations non-stop from YEG. WestJet serves 27. It would be a huge loss for YEG if WestJet went under. I fail to see how a monopoly would serve us better?
        I don't think a monopoly would be any better. It would probably be much the same, just different colours on the planes. Perhaps it would force those in government to take more control as the fantasy of competition (which doesn't much exist with a duopoly anyways) would be exposed for the sham it is.

Comment

AC just laid off 20,000. Very sad, but air travel will never be the same. Nobody will sit squished one on top of another, ever again. Fares will go up, seats will come out, and air travel is going to be very very expensive. West Jet was good, it changed, people got greedy, the paying public got nickle and dimed to death.
          Animals are my passion.

Comment

Originally posted by H.L. View Post
            AC just laid off 20,000. Very sad, but air travel will never be the same. Nobody will sit squished one on top of another, ever again. Fares will go up, seats will come out, and air travel is going to be very very expensive. West Jet was good, it changed, people got greedy, the paying public got nickle and dimed to death.
            Yeah, no. Airlines will get away with what they think they can get away with as soon as they can.

United updates social distancing policies after viral photo of crowded flight

Ethan Weiss, a San Francisco-based cardiologist, was worried.

For the past two weeks, Weiss had been in New York, the epicenter of the U.S. coronavirus outbreak, volunteering at hospitals to help care for patients infected with the novel virus. But as Weiss tells it, he was about to face an even more daunting task this weekend: the plane trip back to San Francisco.

“I’m more scared of getting on the airplane on Saturday than I’m walking into the hospital,” Weiss told KGO.

This weekend, the doctor’s fears were confirmed when he and 25 other medical professionals found themselves on a jam-packed flight from Newark to San Francisco — despite a previous assurance from United that social distancing measures would be in place.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trave...ing-right-now/

Comment

Working...
            X