• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Citadel, Winspear getting $6.5 million boost

Citadel, Winspear getting $6.5 million boost
    --Province and city chipping in for upgrades

Tue, July 15, 2008
    By Sun Media

The city's Citadel Theatre and Winspear Centre are getting a cash injection to spruce them up.

The province and the city are contributing $6.5 million to the facilities.

The province is kicking in $2.4 million to the Citadel Theatre and $500,000 to the Winspear Centre. The city is coughing up $3.6 million to the Citadel Theatre project.

<...>

“The Winspear and Citadel are among Edmonton’s premier venues for live theatre, music, concerts and recitals,” Lindsay Blackett, Minister of
    Culture and Community Spirit, said in the release.

“This investment in Edmonton’s thriving arts district will help these facilities continue to showcase Edmonton’s, and Alberta’s, arts and cultural community for generations to come.”

Full article:
    http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmo...5/6163741.html

But what about potholes and affordable housing.

Comment

^ Good news for these performing arts centres.
      Almost always open to debate...

Comment

The citadel lobby is already undergoing renos of some sort. So is this new money for new projects? Or just more funding for existing projects?

Comment

Originally posted by newfangled View Post
          The citadel lobby is already undergoing renos of some sort. So is this new money for new projects? Or just more funding for existing projects?
          I'm pretty sure the two are connected - formal announcement of funding for projects already underway.

Comment

maybe it has something to do with the hotel the winspear wanted to build....

Comment

^ Actually, I think the Winspear was contemplating a condo tower above another performing space (like a recital hall). It's not part of this funding announcement, but I'm sure the tower is still being considered for a future date.

Comment

A Facility Facelift

Main Lobby Perspective View COHOS EVAMY During the summer of 2008, the main floor of the Citadel Theatre will undergo the first of a two-part renovation including a new Customer Service Centre and expanded washroom facilities.
                Phase Two is scheduled for the summer of 2009 and will include upgrades to Zeidler Hall. Over the next three years, all of the exterior glass panels in the building will be replaced. These upgrades are made possible through the generous support of the City of Edmonton; the Province of Alberta Major Community Facilties Program and private donations.
                Found here.
                Last edited by JayBee; 27-07-2008, 05:25 AM. Reason: had to put this in quotes, I didn't write it...
                Let's make Edmonton better.

Comment

Originally posted by davidnorwoodink View Post
                  ^ Actually, I think the Winspear was contemplating a condo tower above another performing space (like a recital hall). It's not part of this funding announcement, but I'm sure the tower is still being considered for a future date.
                  Boutique hotel sort of thing for visiting artists in the NE section of the parking lot behind the Winspear. Separate lobby entrance to the rehearsal room to make it more 'apart' for individual use, and expanded/more dressing space, etc, etc.
                  LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Comment

This is great news! The Citadel looks great, but other than the addition, it hasn't changed a whole lot since the 1970's. The time is right for a facelift.
                    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesC View Post
                      Boutique hotel sort of thing for visiting artists in the NE section of the parking lot behind the Winspear. Separate lobby entrance to the rehearsal room to make it more 'apart' for individual use, and expanded/more dressing space, etc, etc.

I am very curious to know what happened to this proposal - if it died why that was; there are motions underway to begin something similar for another city centre cultural anchor. Does anybody know what happened here?
                      La verite se venge.

Comment

I'm pretty sure work is underway at the Citadel to replace the glass in the atrium.

Comment

Originally posted by Sophia Karel View Post
                          Originally posted by MylesC View Post

I am very curious to know what happened to this proposal - if it died why that was; there are motions underway to begin something similar for another city centre cultural anchor. Does anybody know what happened here?
                          Haven't heard anything more at this point. Any future development is very likely on hold, given the current market. I can still see a condo tower as a viable project down the road. Just not right now...

Comment

Originally posted by etownboarder View Post
                            I'm pretty sure work is underway at the Citadel to replace the glass in the atrium.
                            But how about the Winspear turning the parking lot behind the building into a boutique hotel? As I say, this idea has also been floated more recently by a sister arts institution, and there would be a lot of interest to learn if, and if not, why not, the project will go forward.
                            La verite se venge.

Comment

^ A boutique hotel, or a higher end chain like a Hyatt.
                              But besides the economics, the whole Quarters initiative needs to get off the ground too.
                              “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Working...
                              X