Jasper voted best ski town

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
    Inexpensive doesn't mean you cheap out though.

I'd rather reach for a bit of the Swiss experience vs what was Silver Star's mishmash of old trailers and camps.

Jasper received this recognition as is, imagine what this stretch could do if it added spit, polish, and elbow grease? Instead of being pleasantly surprised at the ranking, imagine what this area would be if we were a little arrogant in expecting a high ranking.

I know I'm a bit biased as I've pushed for a string of attractions from Lloyd to Vale...
    Wow you haven't been to Silver Star in a LOOONNNGGGG time LOL

I remember way back in the day when you used to be able to lease what was essentially a campsite on the edge of the south parking lot, People would bring their campers and travel trailers up there and it would be their little ski retreat for the winter. By mid season they were all totally enclosed in snow, it looked like an igloo village. They stopped doing that in around 1990, when the village really started to flesh out.

Jasper is a neat little town and the hill is good but the biggest problem is that there is nothing on the hill itself. Silver Star (and Big White and Sun Peaks and so on) are a better on hill experience because the village is right there. There's nothing like being able to ski in & out of your condo, or ski over to one of the bars, or sit in your rooftop jacuzzi overlooking the hill. It's a totally different experience than having to drive up, park, hike over to the lodge and then leave at the end of the day.

As far as ski towns go, I'd argue that Nelson, Rossland, Kimberley are much better. Nelson in particular is spectacular ski town. All the Washingtonians come up, stay in town and have a blast. It's a lot of fun.
    Last edited by 240GLT; 14-12-2018, 08:40 AM.
    Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

I'd rather reach for a bit of the Swiss experience vs what was Silver Star's mishmash of old trailers and camps.

Jasper received this recognition as is, imagine what this stretch could do if it added spit, polish, and elbow grease? Instead of being pleasantly surprised at the ranking, imagine what this area would be if we were a little arrogant in expecting a high ranking.

I know I'm a bit biased as I've pushed for a string of attractions from Lloyd to Vale...
      They are already talking about the need for quotas on visitors. That alone could spike demand up several multiples (herd behaviour and all).

Maybe they should also be considering closing down Marmot and returning it to natural parkland.

Comment

Originally posted by 240GLT View Post

I remember way back in the day when you used to be able to lease what was essentially a campsite on the edge of the south parking lot, People would bring their campers and travel trailers up there and it would be their little ski retreat for the winter. By mid season they were all totally enclosed in snow, it looked like an igloo village. They stopped doing that in around 1990, when the village really started to flesh out.

Jasper is a neat little town and the hill is good but the biggest problem is that there is nothing on the hill itself. Silver Star (and Big White and Sun Peaks and so on) are a better on hill experience because the village is right there. There's nothing like being able to ski in & out of your condo, or ski over to one of the bars, or sit in your rooftop jacuzzi overlooking the hill. It's a totally different experience than having to drive up, park, hike over to the lodge and then leave at the end of the day.

As far as ski towns go, I'd argue that Nelson, Rossland, Kimberley are much better.
        It’s all nice in terms of convenience, commercialization, retail souvenir shops and the same-but-different resort-food-and-booze-joints but there’s no limit to the development pressures, expansion and destruction.

Just look at old pictures of places like Waikiki or any number of other beach “paradises” and tourist attractions and then go there now. The original and overall attraction of the places themselves are often destroyed* and much of what was nice, except the beaches, are paved over with boring commercialization so they just become cash cow hubs for people seeking what was paved over.

* it’s sort of the opposite of the Flintstones’ Grand Canyon cartoon (someday it will be great...). Now it’s a reversal of the process like saving near extinct animals in zoos. Something is list when all you see is the last vestiges of what once was.
        Last edited by KC; 14-12-2018, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KC View Post
          Originally posted by 240GLT View Post

As far as ski towns go, I'd argue that Nelson, Rossland, Kimberley are much better.
          It’s all nice in terms of convenience, commercialization, retail souvenir shops and the same-but-different resort-food-and-booze-joints but there’s no limit to the development pressures, expansion and destruction.

Just look at old pictures of places like Waikiki or any number of other beach “paradises” and tourist attractions and then go there now. The original and overall attraction of the places themselves are often destroyed* and much of what was nice, except the beaches, are paved over with boring commercialization so they just become cash cow hubs for people seeking what was paved over.

* it’s sort of the opposite of the Flintstones’ Grand Canyon cartoon (someday it will be great...). Now it’s a reversal of the process like saving near extinct animals in zoos. Something is list when all you see is the last vestiges of what once was.
          It's unfortunate from an experience perspective that more on hill amenities can't be built but there are exceptional challenges getting any development approved in the national parks, that's likely what's kept Marmot from maturing into an actual ski resort. From a preservation perspective it obviously makes sense but it limits the potential of the hill to develop into a full fledged resort. I'd suspect that the Valemount development, should it come to fruition will follow more of the Silver Star model with on hill amenities and attractions.

Personally, If I'm on a dedicated ski holiday I prefer to stay on the hill. A big group of friends and I used to rent a house right on the hill at Silver Star every year and it was so much fun and great to be on the hill with that ambience and experience and not have to worry about driving anywhere. But if I'm going to just hit the slopes for a day I prefer to be at a non-resort hill, like Marmot or Castle or the small BC southern interior hills that have the best terrain and powder in Western Canada

For me the biggest problem with skiing at Jasper is not the town or the hill, it's the time it takes to get there. But I'm spoiled, I grew up 20 minutes away from the ski hill, and actually lived in a chalet on Silver Star for a few years.
          Last edited by 240GLT; 14-12-2018, 09:48 AM.
          Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

This can be done without being destructive. Remember, the amount of land available is huge, and the amount of land that would be consumed is minimal by comparison. The rest is stewardship.
            President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

Working...
            X