Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where Credit is Due - Brad Ferguson

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Where Credit is Due - Brad Ferguson

    Where Credit is Due

    Every time I tell the Edmonton story, from Hangzhou to Helsinki, from roundtables of 10 to audiences of 1100, people are fascinated how we evolved the Edmonton brand and engaged our whole community in the process. They ask, “How did you guys do it? How did Edmonton manage its way through the recession so well? How did you evolve the brand in such a short period of time? How did you grab the attention of the media? How did you rise so fast in the rankings?”

    Every time I’m asked, I stop and give pause, and I share an important story that seems to be forgotten – a story that gives credit to those who took the risk to fundamentally change the face of our city.

    Five years ago, our city was at an impasse. City Council was divided over whether a downtown arena would generate the economic benefits that were being claimed, and Edmontonians were divided as to whether a partnership with Daryl Katz could be trusted and whether it would be in the best interest of our city.

    https://brad-ferguson.com/2018/01/30...credit-is-due/


    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  • #2
    Originally posted by IanO View Post
    Where Credit is Due

    Every time I tell the Edmonton story, from Hangzhou to Helsinki, from roundtables of 10 to audiences of 1100, people are fascinated how we evolved the Edmonton brand and engaged our whole community in the process. They ask, “How did you guys do it? How did Edmonton manage its way through the recession so well? How did you evolve the brand in such a short period of time? How did you grab the attention of the media? How did you rise so fast in the rankings?”

    Every time I’m asked, I stop and give pause, and I share an important story that seems to be forgotten – a story that gives credit to those who took the risk to fundamentally change the face of our city.

    Five years ago, our city was at an impasse. City Council was divided over whether a downtown arena would generate the economic benefits that were being claimed, and Edmontonians were divided as to whether a partnership with Daryl Katz could be trusted and whether it would be in the best interest of our city.

    https://brad-ferguson.com/2018/01/30...credit-is-due/
    Sounds like Mr. Ferguson is trying to rationalize corporate welfare so he can live with the guilt that comes with diverting taxpayer money into the pockets of billionaires.
    Last edited by OffWhyte; 31-01-2018, 03:28 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Yeah, he's certainly carrying a lot of water for Katz & trying to make it seem like trickle-down economics are a real, viable thing just because KATZ THE AMAZING!

      Wonder if there's anything coming down the pipe that they're trying to get ahead of... I mean, his buying of a borderline-fake-news right wing news blog started by a Fox News personality is the only recent news I've heard about our "local" plutocrat at least since the pay-for-sex story last year & his move to California.
      Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by noodle View Post
        Yeah, he's certainly carrying a lot of water for Katz & trying to make it seem like trickle-down economics are a real, viable thing just because KATZ THE AMAZING!

        Wonder if there's anything coming down the pipe that they're trying to get ahead of... I mean, his buying of a borderline-fake-news right wing news blog started by a Fox News personality is the only recent news I've heard about our "local" plutocrat at least since the pay-for-sex story last year & his move to California.
        Laying the groundwork to allow OEG to have additional surface parking for their liquor stores perhaps. Or maybe there's some other by-law they want changed that we haven't heard about yet.

        Comment


        • #5
          Darryl Katz has done more for this city than any other single person in my lifetime. Ferguson is absolutely right.
          Instead of criticizing Katz, we should be erecting statues and naming parks in his honor.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ralph60 View Post
            Darryl Katz has done more for this city than any other single person in my lifetime. Ferguson is absolutely right.
            Instead of criticizing Katz, we should be erecting statues and naming parks in his honor.
            Because the publicly-funded $600 million mausoleum where hockey careers go to get buried isn't enough to pay him the appropriate amount of homage.

            Comment


            • #7
              OEG position Ferguson is applying for with this grovelling missive: Toady in Chief, must be an exquisite apple polisher and enjoy the smell of rich people's farts
              Last edited by ajs; 01-02-2018, 08:56 AM. Reason: auto correct

              Comment


              • #8
                I appreciate your perspective. There are many perspectives. But this one is yours.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by OffWhyte View Post
                  Originally posted by ralph60 View Post
                  Darryl Katz has done more for this city than any other single person in my lifetime. Ferguson is absolutely right.
                  Instead of criticizing Katz, we should be erecting statues and naming parks in his honor.
                  Because the publicly-funded $600 million mausoleum where hockey careers go to get buried isn't enough to pay him the appropriate amount of homage.
                  Blah blah blah, whine and complain about a rather small subsidy to an arena (compared to others), and ignore the billions, yes, billions in private sector development that is sprouting up and paying off the arena many times over. Shame on you. Have some vision. Vision should be a requirment for posting here.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Is that sarcasm AAAAE?

                    The entire arena was fronted with government money. The whole thing. Then the City of Edmonton agreed to a lease for an office tower from the person that they lent the entire cost of an arena to because he could miraculously outbid other proposals. When you are gifted business from the city you can compete for other businesses like getting the Stantec lease.

                    Should we also discount the amount of money that Katz has syphoned out of the city through the death of the CFR in Edmonton?

                    I think the following quote from Mr. Ferguson should perhaps have that $2 billion broken down for verification.

                    "And Daryl Katz delivered. What was originally a $100 million commitment (subject to commercial efficacy) in the Arena Master Agreement has now turned into more than $2 billion of personal investment in our downtown. And he kept investing in Edmonton while oil prices plummeted and margins were squeezed, building confidence in our city as we told this story around the world. Katz Group delivered the tallest tower in western Canada (Stantec Tower), the Edmonton Tower, the JW Marriott Hotel, Rogers Place Arena, the Winter Garden (Ford Hall) with excellence, and they continue to invest with more buildings planned in our near future."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ralph60 View Post
                      Darryl Katz has done more for this city than any other single person in my lifetime. Ferguson is absolutely right.
                      Instead of criticizing Katz, we should be erecting statues and naming parks in his honor.
                      HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

                      Oh.

                      Wait.

                      You're serious?
                      Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by SP59 View Post
                        I think the following quote from Mr. Ferguson should perhaps have that $2 billion broken down for verification.
                        Yeah, I don't really think that Edmonton Tower should be counted as part of the additional development, what with it being part of the shakedown list of demands from Daryl pre-deal-signing. He wanted his free arena, all the profits from it & a reliable, long-term tenant he could exert control over. Triple play, succeeded.
                        Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by AAAAE View Post
                          Blah blah blah, whine and complain about a rather small subsidy to an arena (compared to others), and ignore the billions, yes, billions in private sector development that is sprouting up and paying off the arena many times over. Shame on you. Have some vision. Vision should be a requirment for posting here.
                          This claim about billions and billions of dollars of development is repeated ad nauseam by the Katz echo chamber. What they never say--either because they do not realize it or because they choose to ignore it--is that for this to be correct then every single one of the following conditions and assumptions must hold true.

                          1. That exactly zero dollars of development would have occurred had the city not financed the arena.
                          2. That the billions of development in the arena district caused exactly zero dollars of development to leave other parts of the city.
                          3. That all other possible investments of $600 million of publicly-funded debt would have created exactly zero dollars of private development.
                          4. That the $600 million dollars of debt incurred to build the arena comes interest free.


                          A proper conversation about the benefits of the "partnership" cannot be had without also talking about these assumptions.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            My role is becoming available on March 30th, I encourage you to apply. You sound fascinating.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Over the line bud. I called you names so your sarcasm was completely in bounds (although I'm sure you've been called worse by better men than me). OffWhyte is making a coherent, balanced argument about the city's partnership with Katz echoing the sentiments of a great number of Edmontonians.

                              Now I'm aware WE have this perception of ourselves as a "bottom-up" city where anyone with a dream and an email address can be a "maker". Of course, this is a facade but pretend is fun. Condescending to OffWhyte is a real nip slip in terms of how our betters perceive the rabble. Careful, careful...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X