Canada's 1st LGBTQ-Only Gym

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada's 1st LGBTQ-Only Gym

It's great that this something available in Edmonton now!

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/12...ym_a_23303566/

"There's this culture in a lot of traditional gym environments that's very aggressive and doesn't feel like a safe space for a lot of queer people," Fairall, who identifies as non-binary and uses they/them pronouns, told HuffPost Canada.

Queerflex is a non-profit gym in a volunteered space that offers its services on a sliding pay-scale, since finances are another barrier often faced by the LGBTQ community, Fairall said.

Does anyone feel comfortable in a gym filled with meat heads?
    There is a whole youtube series making fun of it https://www.youtube.com/user/BroScienceLife

Comment

... is this legal?

Isnt segregation by sexual orientation illegal?
      Friendly neighborhood (non-double poster) photographer.

Comment

Originally posted by S3RI3S View Post
        ... is this legal?

my understanding is that this would be legal (and my opinion is that it should be legal). this relates to the voluntary association of a small and specific group of people while the act is intended to prevent discrimination in areas that are “customarily available to the public” which this gym is clearly not intended to provide.
        "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

Happy this place exists for those who need it but how can the gym deny a non lgbtq person from working out there? If a regular gym did this to a gay person it would be sued to oblivion.

The double standard is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by gwill211 View Post
            Happy this place exists for those who need it but how can the gym deny a non lgbtq person from working out there? If a regular gym did this to a gay person it would be sued to oblivion.

what double standard? if you have a private trainer come to your house or you book time with a private trainer in their facility, i’m not entitled to come and participate just because i want to, nor should i be. and i’m not likely to be too successful trying to sue you or your trainer to oblivion as a result, nor should i be. this isn’t a “regular gym”.

Comment

Originally posted by kcantor View Post
              Originally posted by S3RI3S View Post
              ... is this legal?

my understanding is that this would be legal (and my opinion is that it should be legal). this relates to the voluntary association of a small and specific group of people while the act is intended to prevent discrimination in areas that are “customarily available to the public” which this gym is clearly not intended to provide.
              So people avoid discrimination by segregating themselves? Seems weird.

"To the ppl so worried about QUEERFLEX being only for lgbtq+:
              When all lgbtq+ folks feel safe in all gym spaces I’ll be more than happy to train non-queer folk... if you’re so concerned about this then get busy changing gym culture!
              God knows we could use more allies "

Idk man. I don't like the idea that people are excluded based on sexual orientation, or other things like gender, or the other things ecompassed by lgbtq+. Logically, the idea that this space is only for lgbtq+ people seems pretty discriminatory.
              "Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." - Dalai Lama

Comment

...and back to toilets, locker-rooms, etc. Mens Womens segregation.

This is a poor and likely very biased source but of course the Sun article link doesn’t work.

City of Edmonton launches sharia compliant women-only swimming | Creeping Sharia

https://creepingsharia.wordpress.com...only-swimming/
                Last edited by KC; 31-12-2017, 07:31 AM.

Comment

^I think it’s fine re the swimming pool - but do they allow all people in who identify themselves as female gender but who are biologically male? If they do, it’s not sharia compliant anymore. If they don’t, it’s supposedly a human rights issue. The harsh reality is that religious tolerance and gender tolerance aren’t compatible, sometimes you have to pick and choose which minority group you want to pander to.
                  Last edited by moahunter; 31-12-2017, 08:23 AM.

Comment

what double standard? if you have a private trainer come to your house or you book time with a private trainer in their facility, i’m not entitled to come and participate just because i want to, nor should i be. and i’m not likely to be too successful trying to sue you or your trainer to oblivion as a result, nor should i be. this isn’t a “regular gym”.
                    At the end of the article it stated queer flex doesnt offer its services to anyone other then lgbtq community. You must be gay to receive their services.

Imagine an organization or business saying no gays welcome. This is the double standard.

If i was a trainer specifically denying services to the lgbtq community how do you think this would be handled?

Comment

At the end of the article it stated queer flex doesnt offer its services to anyone other then lgbtq community. You must be gay to receive their services.

Imagine an organization or business saying no gays welcome. This is the double standard.

If i was a trainer specifically denying services to the lgbtq community how do you think this would be handled?
                      the provisions/intent of the alberta human rights act are summarized as follows:

The purpose of the Alberta Human Rights Act(the Act) is to provide Albertans with protection of their human rights. The Alberta Human Rights Commission administers the Act. The Act allows people to make a complaint to the Commission if they feel that they have experienced harassment or have been discriminated against in the specific areas and under the specific grounds protected under the Act. The aim of the Commission's complaint resolution process is to return the complainant to the position he or she would have been in if the discrimination or harassment had not occurred.

Protected areas

The Act prohibits discrimination in the following areas:
                      • statements, publications, notices, signs, symbols, emblems or other representations that are published, issued or displayed before the public
                      • goods, services, accommodation or facilities customarily available to the public
                      • tenancy
                      • employment practices
                      • employment applications or advertisements
                      • membership in trade unions, employers' organizations or occupational association

in addition to the previously posted/above limitation to “customarily available to the public”, the act itself further specifically allows for exceptions as follows:

Reasonable and justifiable contravention

11 A contravention of this Act shall be deemed not to have occurred if the person who is alleged to have contravened the Act shows that the alleged contravention was reasonable and justifiable in the circumstances.

it’s pretty hard not to do anything but wish this venture well under the circumstances...

Comment

So how many bathrooms would there be in this club, how many sex distinctions made on that basis, how many members and how do they assess membership.

or is the bathroom situation considered unisex.

Really would have no idea what the arrangements would be.

Next, if somebody stated they were straight, and were refused admission wouldn't that be hypocritical?

Or is this furthering acceptance and live and let live through enforced segregation? As mentioned that is alltime weird.
                        "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Next, if somebody stated they were straight, and were refused admission wouldn't that be hypocritical?
                          Of course it would be, but special interest groups( and I'm all for gay rights) have cornered the market now..
                          Animals are my passion.

Comment

the article specifically states they will deny anyone services who are not lgbtq.

Ken didnt answer my question when I asked how this would play out if any other business mentioned they would refuse any services for the lgbtq community.

I find it rather amusing

Comment

the article specifically states they will deny anyone services who are not lgbtq.

Ken didnt answer my question when I asked how this would play out if any other business mentioned they would refuse any services for the lgbtq community.

I find it rather amusing
                              i’m pretty sure i answered your question and both referred to and quoted the intent and sections of the alberta human rights act that supported the answer. if it was a business “customarily available to the public” then services cannot be refused.

it’s my understanding that this service is within its rights to offer its services solely to the lgbtq community and “the public” would have a pretty hard time saying it’s a service customarily available to the public.

as for how it would play out for any other business, it’s no different than the local curves fitness franchise only being open to women.

Comment

Working...
                              X