Great start to 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great start to 2017

Nice to see downtown so busy last night! It helped that the weather was OK - still needed to bundle up though. Of course every time there's an Oilers game night, about the half the people are wearing orange McDavid jerseys!

Churchill Square was jam-packed with people, including lots of families. The fireworks were amazing, especially with our lovely City Hall providing the scenery for it. 3 Bananas and L'Espresso were jam-packed while the food trucks did a brisk business.

Sorrentino's, McLeod Tavern, Woodwork, Craft and Sherlock Holmes were full of revelers, with the lone glaring dark spot being the stillborn Alibi.

Happy New Year, everyone! Hope it's a good one for you and our city.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Churchill Square is jam packed any NYE. How was last night any different other than some McDavid jerseys?

Too bad Oilers didn't show up for the party and allowed the Nucks to outplay outwork them all night to the chagrin of all the people spending several hundred bucks for the privilege of seeing another questionable effort from the homeside.

If anything pay parking downtown and elimination of after 6pm free zones is causing me to visit downtown significantly less. Just the other night, Friday, went to the Leg, would have gone downtown but didn't want to pay for parking and instead hit up Whyte Ave area for dinner.

Also unrelated complaint but those fancy new parking fare machines sure are picky about cards I can use to pay. Tried one a week ago and interac didn't work, one credit card didn't work, fortunately the other one did after having to go to a different fare payment box which also refused 2/3 of my cards. They just wouldn't read the cards. Cards that I can use all the time with no problem. So what are we to do to pay when all that happens? No I don't have a smart phone or pay panda app or all the apparently required new techs. In the end I avoid the headache.

edit Just found out that the epark machines do not accept debit cards. Who makes up this ****. How on Earth can you implement a system like this and not allow debit card payment?
    Last edited by Replacement; 01-01-2017, 03:05 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Hands up anybody that knew that last night Edmonton NYE had fireworks at 830pm in addition to the usual midnight fireworks.

What does the COE do to disseminate info these days. Simply twitter, facebook. I heard nada about 830 fireworks. Yet small places like Sherwood Park, St Albert manage to get the world out there and to local papers.

Why do something different, that you've never done before and do such a poor job getting the word out about it?

First I heard about the 830pm fireworks was in todays Edmonton Sun.
      "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

I did. It was in the papers, and CTV news the night before.
        I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Comment

How about you eff off and start your own thread in the Rant section?
          “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
            How about you eff off and start your own thread in the Rant section?
            You keep telling people I am on ignore. Which is it?

How about you slow your roll and stop being unlicensed C2E cop telling others what to post and what not to post.

oh, and a Merry **** off to you too.

ps "Standard editor" which is the only way I can use this board does not apparently allow threadstarts. It doesn't work anyway. You should be thankful.
            Last edited by Replacement; 01-01-2017, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spudly View Post
              I did. It was in the papers, and CTV news the night before.
              Damn, gotta stop using the journal to line the catbox. About all its been good for lately. mybad then.

Thanks for the info. Out of curiosity did they just announce this within the last couple days or was it known before then?

Comment

^^ In the vain hope that you would contribute to something positive for once in your miserable life. My mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
                  ^^ In the vain hope that you would contribute to something positive for once in your miserable life. My mistake.
                  Not so miserable to conclude online what is involved in others lives though or initiate telling people to **** themselves on *social media*.. I'll leave that behavior as your domain.

Oh, and don't make the mistake again..

Comment

Anyone who bothered to google "NYE Edmonton" would have read one of the infinite notices about the fireworks at both 8 and midnight.
                    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

I think it's fair that NYE Downtown has been climbing a staircase over the last decade, and the most recent step was massive. The stigma is in hard decline in the Region's collective consciousness.

Next real steps:
                      • RAM
                      • MacEwan theatres and galleries
                      • free admission at AGA
                      • rejuvenated library
                      • ICE District (hotel, VIP Cineplex, 17 new restaurants)
                      • double the LRTable origins across the City
                      • dispersed homes for the last 350 unsheltered (which used to be 2,500)

Dreamed steps after that:
                      • Winspear Chamber Music Hall
                      • Arts Hab Quarters (with gallery and theatre)
                      • U of A Fine Arts Downtown
                      • Opera House
                      • SCC expansion

and maybe, just maybe, just possibly, just slightly non-zero chance we get a flutter and dare we theorise the possibility of a twitch from Oxford Properties?
                      Let's make Edmonton better.

Comment

We saw the fireworks at 8.30 and again at midnight. What a wonderful display. We are fortunate to be able to see them on our balcony. My eldest son took his daughter, they parked at the library as it was just $1.00 . They left shortly after 8.30. Everyone seemed to be having a great time.
                        Animals are my passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Replacement View Post

Also unrelated complaint but those fancy new parking fare machines sure are picky about cards I can use to pay. Tried one a week ago and interac didn't work, one credit card didn't work, fortunately the other one did after having to go to a different fare payment box which also refused 2/3 of my cards. They just wouldn't read the cards. Cards that I can use all the time with no problem. So what are we to do to pay when all that happens? No I don't have a smart phone or pay panda app or all the apparently required new techs. In the end I avoid the headache.

edit Just found out that the epark machines do not accept debit cards. Who makes up this ****. How on Earth can you implement a system like this and not allow debit card payment?

Yeah, Top_Dawg has to concur.

These stupid parking machines have been in place for about six months now.

Top_Dawg is always amused when watching people trying to use them.

The confusion.

The perplexed looks.

The walking back and forth from their vehicles.

Even funnier when there's both a driver and passenger.

And both are trying to guess how they work.

It really is a total ***** show.

And the fact they take credit cards but not debit cards is just as goofy.

Bro_Dawg was visiting earlier this year and when he went to use one he commented on it as well.

Typical CofE to take something so simple and blow millions of dollars only to make a total abortion of it.
                          Last edited by Top_Dawg; 02-01-2017, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Replacement View Post
                            Hands up anybody that knew that last night Edmonton NYE had fireworks at 830pm in addition to the usual midnight fireworks.

What does the COE do to disseminate info these days. Simply twitter, facebook. I heard nada about 830 fireworks. Yet small places like Sherwood Park, St Albert manage to get the world out there and to local papers.

Why do something different, that you've never done before and do such a poor job getting the word out about it?

First I heard about the 830pm fireworks was in todays Edmonton Sun.
                            It was advertised all over the place. I know many families who loved the earlier option.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

^^the machines are new technology for many, hence the initial confusion, assistance, time to process. Same thing for me the first time and many others it seems, but my guess is that after the initial use or 2, it becomes old hat.

It is my understanding that the acceptance of debit cards for these machines is very rare to almost never. Neither Calgary nor Vancouver accept debit.

You can still use coins, which I do, and have far more payment options now.

https://www.edmonton.ca/transportati...ing-epark.aspx

Many folks seem to love the account/cell phone option.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Working...
                              X