No announcement yet.

Duchess Bake Shop listed as one of the top bakeries in the world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^no, I know. I just meant a new concept would be cool and do well no matter what route they go. The owners have committed to quality and it shows. Hopefully a new opportunity presents itself for them in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by Gord Lacey View Post
      It's been fascinating to watch the popularity of Duchess grow and grow. I remember when I would go at 9am on a weekday and find parking out front and a few people inside. The last time I went at 9am on a Wednesday (about a month ago) there were 23 people ahead of me in line before the doors opened, and I had to park on 125th street (after circling the block a few times). I asked if they would open a second location and the girl said they've been looking around for another location downtown, but IF they opened a new location it would be a different approach from the current one.
      I believe I read in Edmonton Journal that they are looking at a building near Grant MacEwan downtown...

Article is here: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/BuzzF...207/story.html

Comment

That sounds like a move rather than a second location. I would hate to lose them from 124th Street.
        “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Comment

Would be second location.
          "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by GizmoForMayor View Post
            Would be second location.
            They said they would not open a second location because they would loose the quality.

Comment

^they said subsequent locations wouldn't be a Duchess, but a new concept.

Comment

In other Duchess news, Beggs says the bakery has put a conditional offer in on a large property behind MacEwan University on which to open a bigger, better Duchess, complete with a proper restaurant for brunch and lunch, and a bigger home for Provisions with a teaching kitchen. An environmental assessment must be performed before the land is deemed good to go. Beggs says those results are expected to be available in May. Plans for a Duchess high-end dessert bar are also in the works.

“It would be big for us, it’s a huge project,” says Beggs. “We’re dedicated to staying downtown in the central core. It makes so much sense for us.”
                Really ambiguous. Does the "bigger and better Duchess" near MacEwan mean a relocation of the 124th Street location (certainly, I can't imagine they would operate two Provisions locations), with the "Duchess high-end dessert bar" being the new concept? The article certainly could have been clearer...

Comment

Liane clarifies in the comments section of that article:

The 124th Street location of the bakeshop would remain open, even if the new restaurant and Provisions location behind MacEwan University is a go. So don't worry. Giselle promises. Duchess Bakeshop stays on 124th.
                  “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

^Ah, thanks! That's a relief.

Comment

Plus it seems apparent that nobody knows if those expansion plans are even gonna happen or not.
                      “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Edmonton's Duchess Bake Shop expands brand into second location

The Duchess Bake Shop team of Giselle Courteau, Jake Pelletier and Garner Beggs are expanding, big time. They have secured four bays of space in Holland Plaza (10939 120th St.), a building in a light-industrial area not too far from their present location. One bay will be turned into a new restaurant specializing in breakfast, two others will be devoted to a bigger and better Provisions shop and the fourth space will house a teaching kitchen.

http://edmontonjournal.com/life/food...econd-location

Comment

I absolutely love the location. That street has the potential to become really funky. Lots of parking, nice central location.

Comment

The Duchess Bake Shop Cookbook is world class.

http://www.amazon.ca/Duchess-Bake-Co.../dp/0993901204

source

source
                            Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Working...
                            X