X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duchess Bake Shop listed as one of the top bakeries in the world

Duchess Bake Shop listed as one of the top bakeries in the world
    http://metronews.ca/news/edmonton/13...-in-the-world/

Forget donairs and green onion cakes, Edmonton is getting recognition internationally for one of its bakeries.

Duchess Bake Shop was listed by BuzzFeed as one of the “23 bakeries around the world you need to eat at before you die”– the only Canadian entry on the list.

“We were pleasantly surprised,” said Garner Beggs, co-owner of the Duchess. “The company that we’re with on the list is insane. Pierre Hermé and some of these other places in my opinion are the best on the planet so to actually see our name alongside those names is amazing.”
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/jonmichaelpo...EB4#.ukELmOvxa
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Funny story from one of Top_Dawg's buds.

He's originally from Quebec.

So one day he's doing some work in the 124 street area.

After he's done he decides to stop at Duchess to see what all the hoopla is about.

Not being able to find any bread he asks the person working there where they keep the bread.

They reply that they don't have bread.

Incredulous he says: ' BOULANGERIE SANS PAIN ?? '.

Then shakes his head and walks out.

Comment

^To be fair, the local Ford dealer carries neither Ferrari's nor Panzer tanks. A bakery doesn't have to bake everything.

I like the joke though, I haven't had anyone remind me why I don't care for Quebecois snobbery in several hours and I needed a top up.
      "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

A bakery needs to bake bread. Otherwise its called a pastry shop.

Signed, son of a baker.

Comment

Typical - turn a Rave into negativity. It's any wonder why this particular forum is always dead. Why can't people in this city be happy about any good recognition here?
          “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Originally posted by knowitall View Post
            A bakery needs to bake bread. Otherwise its called a pastry shop.

Signed, son of a baker.
            Patries are a baked good. So they're still a bakery, regardless of what pa tells ya.

And Dutchess is an awesome bakery
            "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

If you want split hairs they call themselves a Bake Shop not a Bakery.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Comment

Absolutely fantastic. I will have to give Duchess a shot here soon enough. I actually posted about this on Shoutout Edmonton just recently.

It's pretty remarkable that they got #4 on a global scale, and the only bake shop in Canada, at that. Loving the global attention Edmonton has received because of this!
                Join over 19,000 of us at Shoutout Edmonton! -- www.ShoutoutEdmonton.com

Comment

Do they have Bakewell Tart? Or Battenburg? Two reasons right there for me to get along there.
                  Nisi Dominus Frustra

Comment

Originally posted by howie View Post
                    Do they have Bakewell Tart? Or Battenburg? Two reasons right there for me to get along there.
                    They do have their menu online.

http://www.duchessbakeshop.com/collections/all

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
                      Originally posted by howie View Post
                      They do have their menu online.

http://www.duchessbakeshop.com/collections/all
                      Thanks. Neither of my faves is there, though. Oh well, the quest must go on.
                      Nisi Dominus Frustra

Comment

Globe & Mail article and interview
                        http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...ticle25499694/

Comment

It's been fascinating to watch the popularity of Duchess grow and grow. I remember when I would go at 9am on a weekday and find parking out front and a few people inside. The last time I went at 9am on a Wednesday (about a month ago) there were 23 people ahead of me in line before the doors opened, and I had to park on 125th street (after circling the block a few times). I asked if they would open a second location and the girl said they've been looking around for another location downtown, but IF they opened a new location it would be a different approach from the current one.
                          They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Comment

^nothing wrong with a different approach, just as long as the quality is there, which I am confident it would be. I would love to see one in the quarters, near the new hotel. Also on Whyte Ave or on 109 Street somewhere.

Comment

I think a different approach would be great; it wasn't meant to be a negative.
                              They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Comment

Working...
                              X