Respect for the Designated Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Respect for the Designated Driver

Ok this is actually a bit of a rave / rant, but I decided to err on the side of positivity and put this in the raves section.

I have a newfound appreciation for bars that give some respect to someone who is the designated driver for a group. Particularly I want to applaud The Rack on Whyte for doing this recently.

I was DD to a group of my friends this past weekend, and it was interesting to note how I was treated at the different places we stopped at along Whyte on our bar hopping adventure. I won't name names, but at some places I practically had to beg the server or bartender for a glass of water. And some charged almost as much for a glass of pop or juice as they do for an alcoholic drink. Yet other places were awesome about it. At The Rack, in particular, the server always made sure I had something to drink and everything non-alcoholic was on the house.

Enduring some poor service or having to pay a few bucks for a ginger ale isn't going to stop me from being a DD. But I think these small things help to encourage the behaviour. I can totally get, from a cost / tipping perspective, why many places don't offer these perks. But still, major kudos for establishments that encourage responsible drinking in these small ways.

Great post. And it's a wonder than establishments don't somewhat cater to the driving sober. You know, the people that help keep the place from getting sued?
    Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

Comment

Free, unlimited water for all customers should be a liquor license requirement. Alcohol should also be priced consistently - if a single is $5 and a double is $8, the corresponding virgin mix should be no more than $2.

Comment

It is just good business sense, and also helps with your liability. If you have an active program for the Designated Driver - especially since the tab is already there with the other people tippling...this is a serious no brainer....

...fountain pop is incredibly cheap. As is water.
        President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

I knew of some ladies in my younger days who would take their pop to the washroom and fill it with alcohol hidden in their purse. Maybe that's a reason?

Comment

This is a point that many DD's can relate to. As a former bartender I completely agree that all DD's should experience the same level of service as any other patron in the bar. Who cares if all that is being served is water or soda? It takes no time to pour a non-alcoholic drink and many times the DD's are often more appreciative of the service than the drinking crowd. Truth be told DD are one of the reasons the streets aren't a game of Russian Roulette after last call.

Comment

I quit drinking years ago so I am always the DD.
              When I go to a bar I order a pint of club soda, give the waitress ten bucks, tell her I'm DD and my glass is kept full for free for the rest of the night. This works in nearly every bar I have ever been in.
              The waitress deserves her tip whether your drinking alcohol or not. Giving a decent tip right at the start establishes that you're not just a cheap space taker. If you're at the same place for a long time, tip every few drinks, it's only fair.

Comment

^
                I like that approach

Humor the buisness. Yes you are doing them a service by getting people home safe, but you are also 1 person in their business not spending money.

At least tip the bartender
                youtube.com/BrothersGrim
                facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Comment

I do remember at one point almost all bars/lounges offered free pop to the one DD of the group, but not sure about now.

Has anyone tried mentioning they were DD at other places?
                  Yes, it's only $4 or whatever for a pop, but like the poster says, it's just the thought that counts.

I have been DD in the past and I can tell you there were times it wasn't fun with a bunch of loud drunks in the car ha
                  Edmonton ~ It may not be perfect, but it's home~

Comment

Originally posted by ralph60 View Post
                    I quit drinking years ago so I am always the DD.
                    When I go to a bar I order a pint of club soda, give the waitress ten bucks, tell her I'm DD and my glass is kept full for free for the rest of the night. This works in nearly every bar I have ever been in.
                    The waitress deserves her tip whether your drinking alcohol or not. Giving a decent tip right at the start establishes that you're not just a cheap space taker. If you're at the same place for a long time, tip every few drinks, it's only fair.
                    This sounds reasonable, but you have to think in some situations there may be 4-5 drinkers at the table spending lots and tipping well. So in that case I don't any one should feel like they are taking up space or being a nuisance to the waitress for bringing them pop or water.
                    Edmonton ~ It may not be perfect, but it's home~

Comment

As like most things some people abuse the situation and ruin it for the rest. I have served couples that both claimed to be the DD.

I like the idea of $10 for non stop pop.

Comment

The fountain pop cost .15 cents per glass so that is exorbitant if you ask me. How much pop can one drink? If a person is in a group, that should just be complimentary. Friends drinking should more than cover the cost of a few glasses of pop. I no longer cruise the bars, but i was a regular dd in my younger days and free pop wasw the norm. Tipping them a few bucks when you're all done is also the proper etiquette.
                        " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Comment

Working...
                        X