X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Replacement View Post
    ^

Should it read like this:

Thread title; Who knows what to do in Edmonton before and after Rogers events. Anybody? hello?

Hi, suburbanite here. I know next to nothing about what to do downtown in evenings, most times I find the place closed but I'm sure there's stuff..

I just figured I should start this thread.

I
    peace out..

jk aside though I actually haven't been able to start threads since the forum moved to this site. I am only able to use the most basic in functions here through "standard editor" or else nothing updates, posts don't get submitted, pages freeze and lock etc. This was addressed in the appropriate section.
    "I just figured I should start this thread."
    "I know nothing about Nuclear fission either, that will be my next thread start"

We need more of that. Hard as it is, I prefer the curious, openness and seeking to learn, over the narcissistic and self-promoting or promotion of other vested interests that often comes with new threads (many of mine included).

Plus in the vastness of cyberspace, threads don't take up much space. So just throwing things against the wall to see what sticks may be the best way to create value. And that value doesn't have to coincide with others current interests like newspaper forums. Here they can sit for years until someone else stumbles over them and gives them new life, maybe someone that wouldn't have starred the discussion but will engage with the issue.

I guess though the Internet is like religion. Many people born before the Internet age have a tough time leaving their old indoctrinated "current event myopia" behind and seeing how the Internet is both newspaper news / 6pm TV newscast and encyclopedia/library/knowledge base plus everything between and beyond like letters between old friends and family as was the past as well as communications with people that haven't even arrived yet.
    Last edited by KC; 12-02-2017, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KC View Post
      Originally posted by Replacement View Post
      ^

Should it read like this:

Thread title; Who knows what to do in Edmonton before and after Rogers events. Anybody? hello?

Hi, suburbanite here. I know next to nothing about what to do downtown in evenings, most times I find the place closed but I'm sure there's stuff..

I just figured I should start this thread.

I
      peace out..

jk aside though I actually haven't been able to start threads since the forum moved to this site. I am only able to use the most basic in functions here through "standard editor" or else nothing updates, posts don't get submitted, pages freeze and lock etc. This was addressed in the appropriate section.
      "I just figured I should start this thread."
      "I know nothing about Nuclear fission either, that will be my next thread start"

We need more of that. Hard as it is, I prefer the curious, openness and seeking to learn, over the narcissistic and self-promoting or promotion of other vested interests that often comes with new threads (many of mine included).

Plus in the vastness of cyberspace, threads don't take up much space. So just throwing things against the wall to see what sticks may be the best way to create value. And that value doesn't have to coincide with others current interests like newspaper forums. Here they can sit for years until someone else stumbles over them and gives them new life, maybe someone that wouldn't have starred the discussion but will engage with the issue.

I guess though the Internet is like religion. Many people born before the Internet age have a tough time leaving their old indoctrinated "current event myopia" behind and seeing how the Internet is both newspaper news / 6pm TV newscast and encyclopedia/library/knowledge base plus everything between and beyond like letters between old friends and family as was the past as well as communications with people that haven't even arrived yet.
      heh, I'm hardly shy about thread starts ftr. Just that I literally CANNOT start threads on this forum presently due to a conflict with this site and my computer. I've mentionded this before and in the post you quoted. So that I had to choose "Standard Editor" function just to be able to continue to post here and edit posts. Otherwise nothing was sending. Would just freeze page and timeout everytime I tried to post or reply. I can't even hilite text, post pictures, or anything like that. Fortunately this thread is here or I would not be able to start it. But yeah, I feel like I'm not able to contribute much to the site currently and I'm entirely dependent on others starting threads. To that end I appreciate you do start a lot of topical threads.

cheers
      Last edited by Replacement; 12-02-2017, 10:55 AM.
      "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Another season winding down. Crazy for you was good, as good as a musical kind of gets imo and I don't have a high opinion of musicals, I actually would opt out but the wife loves them. It was fun but really a lot of music. The singing dialogue kind of show. Hard to take more than 2hrs of it.

Which leads me to the current show. More music, this time only worse. A Peter Pan adaptation. I have to admit I'm cringing with this one. The wife is Scottish so Barrie, the author, is just short of Robbie Burns or something. I could never stay awake for more than 10mins of Peter Pan anything as a kid and don't even know the background story. Nor have any will to. Managed to go through avoiding any finding Neverland or hook type nonsense my entire life. I don't get stardust twinkle fantasy. Did I say I was dreading this one? To mock my predicament game 2 of the SC playoffs is on at the same time. I'll see if I can get lost at intermission and find a TV showing the game at some bar and say gee honey, they didn't let me back in to the second scene, I'm heartbroken here..

To think I actually use to like Dave Barry the humorist. why did he have to go and write this?

On a more serious note what is the Citadel doing having one infantile productions each season? Seems like every season one or two creep in, last year Mary Poppins. its really rare to see any kids even attending the plays at the Citadel and this current production has reviews like "my kids hated it".

Citadel, jmo, does drama, and mature comedy themes the best.

I really like supporting the Citadel, and have been passionate about it, but next season isn't blowing me away either. 3 musicals, another ***** production, (Robin Hood the silver Arrow) and with only one dramatic production. I like getting STH just to support the Citadel and retain our good seats but I have interest in only a few of the productions slated for next season. They really need to consider resales options for their customers.
        Last edited by Replacement; 13-04-2017, 06:09 PM.
        "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Resales might be a good idea. Maybe they could handle the exchange for a fee if they are worried about problems like counterfeiting.

Can you still donate tickets for a tax receipt?

Comment

With this one its too late. We're phoning around to see if anybody we know wants them. I have zero interest in seeing some derivative Peter Pan nonsense. tbh we were reticent in checking and busy and didn't even know what the play was about till the other day. To this point nobody else is interested in seeing this tripe either.

What I've voiced with the Citadel multiple time is if they could please go back to the system where you could pick 6 plays out of the 8 or 9 that they run in a season. They used to have a pick your own plays option. There should be no reason not to allow customers to do that. Well actually I know the reason. Each year theres 1-2 plays they run from Theater schools. Typically these aren't very good and they run in Maclab theater. Essentially they make that part of the package and in the hope that Seasons ticket holders will show up given that they've paid for the plays anyway. In the theater business this is a sitting duck crowd used to familiarize news actors to productions. I realize its a necessary part of supporting theater but invariably these are long and tedious productions. Increasingly its not working. Theres been as many as 100 empty seats in Maclab for productions whereas Shoctor is regularly sold out. Shoctor also being the bigger theater so the demand is just far less for Maclab productions. I've talked to other Citadel fans and they say people have actually even walked out of this current production its so bad. You can never tell from the official reviews and locally every review is always positive. Even for some of the worst productions Citadel has put out. Reviewers are often theater lovers that have more of an interest in promoting any theater than being objective in reviews. We watched youtubes of scenes from this player and it reinforced for both of us this would be 2.5hrs of wasted time. Old humor that isn't funny, guys dressed in drag because that's funny in 2017, and Dave Barry, who wrote this **** should retire and save us theater patrons. Strangely from Broadway on this play has been forced on patrons. Its got a strange love affair with Theater directors who must all have some Peter Pan in them or something. The new director waxes on about the play being great. That in itself doesn't give me huge confidence with where the Citadel is headed.

At minimum they should offer a Shoctor only package. The only reason we would continue with our STH now is we like our seats at Shoctor. But alas 2 plays next season are Maclab, and 3 of the plays in the next Seasons series we have limited interest in.

We're thinking about tapping out. Increasingly the plays offered are not matching our adult interests. I think it won't be long before they start doing comic and graphic novel plays to try to entice younger theater goers. Artistically the Citadel seems currently to be without direction.

Comment

Anybody following this? That Citadel pulls the rug out from Jordan Peterson.

http://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/c...n-not-shun-him

Agreed with Staples here. Also quite clear that this was cancelled due to local activists who are also quite pleased with themselves that they've got this cancelled. Ironically one of the opponents posts under a free speech blog.

Chantal Ghosh, a new hire at the Citadel having only worked there for 2mths is quoted saying "we made a decision at leadership level that (Petersons talk) was not in keeping with our mandate, mission, and values." I should note the Director, also relatively new is Daryl Cloran who might also have been involved in the decision.

I note as well the entire Mission statement of the Citadel has been rewritten by Cloran and the prior versions have been scrubbed.

Its been quite clearly outed which third parties were opposed to Peterson speaking at the Citadel. (Just look it up online) What offends me is that a theater has been co-opted by individuals that claim to speak for the mandate, mission, and values of a theater that exists on the backs of STH, funders, sponsors etc. Yet this decision to prohibit the Peterson speech is a decision made without ANY attempt to canvas longterm STH or even ask.

Have we learned nothing at all from the Wilfred Laurier censorship scandal? It appears not.

This is a sad, sad moment for the Citadel. How tragic that a theater that prides itself on furthering vision is interested in negating it in this instance.

Comment

Never even heard of the guy before this controversy and when I spent about 10-15 minutes looking up articles and interviews, my thought was "what's the controversy"?

He's just going against the grain but doesn't outright say hateful remarks. Cmon citadel. This is just as sad as Calgary and their nude swim debacle. And here I started to think that Edmonton was much more progressive than our southern neighbours.

Comment

It was discussed a bit in the all purpose thread, starting here: http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...l=1#post867488

Comment

Just an update that Chantell Ghosh has literally just been here in her job this week and this is the first decision she makes and she cancels a Jordan Peterson talk. While citing upper level discussion was had. In fairness to her I think she perhaps got the short end of the stick nobody else wanted but regardless this is silly. In Petersons words "Activists do not speak for the whole community" Which is what occurred here.
                    Keeping in mind Peterson had already signed, paid deposit and had rented the facility. The speech was cancelled in between that time, January 9, and after Peterson had publicized the event.

In anycase the event is now going on at the DT Hyatt, good for them stepping up and of course they will benefit as will anybody attending.

For those not familiar Jordan Peterson is one of the foremost public speakers today world wide, best selling author, hails from Canada, U of T acting professor, and was born in Fairview Alberta (Near Peace River) and had Rachel Notley's mother as a school librarian. A person who he cites he owes some early intellectual interest to. Peterson is also a U of A alumni and this Citadel Theater decision being one of the most disgraceful cancellations of his public speaking tour is occurring right here, which is being talked about around the globe right now.

This being the most regressive instance since Wilfred Laurier repeatedly tried to shut up Lindsay Shepherd and sanction her after the TA showed a brief pronoun video of a Peterson debate in class.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
                      It was discussed a bit in the all purpose thread, starting here: http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...l=1#post867488
                      Thanks Marcel, I looked around before and had seen no posts on this subject so that I thought they may as well fit within the ongoing Citadel Theatre thread.

Comment

Yeah, not sure where the discussion would be most appropriate, given that it will almost certain turn political/ideological.

Comment

Working...
                        X