another great blog post by EEDC's Brad Ferguson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another great blog post by EEDC's Brad Ferguson

Another excellent blog post by Brad Ferguson.
    http://brad-ferguson.com/2013/07/26/just-edmonton/

just Edmonton
    Posted on July 26, 2013
    Shhhhh. Don’t tell anyone. Shhhhh. Something is changing and it’s not right for us to talk about it. We’re uncomfortable talking about these things … good things. We’re expected to be talking about the mosquitos in the summer and the dark days of winter. So whatever you do … please don’t share this with too many people.

Headline: Edmonton is emerging as an incredible place for young people to come and build their lives, their businesses and their careers.

Shhhhh. I told you it’ll feel uncomfortable to say … so keep it to yourself.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Well, certainly the Edmonton Urinal has kept up its end by resporting absolutely nothing positive about our city.
    ... gobsmacked

Comment

Brad is such an excellent guy to have at the helm of EEDC right now. We honestly could not have had a better person at this critical time in the development of our fair city. Cannot wait to see what he does next.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Brad Ferguson is very knowledgeable about our city, and I think he'll be good for leading the next generation of Edmonton's business community.
        "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

I'm seeing a future mayoralty candidate in the making
          “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Originally posted by IanO View Post
            Brad is such an excellent guy to have at the helm of EEDC right now. We honestly could not have had a better person at this critical time in the development of our fair city. Cannot wait to see what he does next.
            Originally posted by The_Cat View Post
            Brad Ferguson is very knowledgeable about our city, and I think he'll be good for leading the next generation of Edmonton's business community.
            Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
            I'm seeing a future mayoralty candidate in the making

Ho-ly !

What a love-in.

But maybe a few questions to get back down to earth.
            Has he ever done anything ?
            Has he ever had a real job ?
            Has he had a job period ?

Yeah, yeah... all the usual cornholios will spout off about consultant to this, and advisor to that, and motivational blow it-up-yer-azz about yet some other goofy ***** thing... but...

Well, Top_Dawg will tell you what a consultant is.

It's some useless *******, who finishes an even more useless Arts degree, only to find himself neither capable nor qualified to do sweet ***** ****.

So then his dad, or his uncle, or his brother in-law, or god only knows what - who has a connection somewhere - gets them to hire on sonny-boy, give him a important sounding title where he sits around all day doing exactly what he's qualified to do.

At best - blather on empty platitudes and a few rehearsed talking points to baffle the masses into thinking it's something profound.

At worst ( and the far more usual ) - sweet ****.

That's a consultant.

So Top_Dawg learned long ago not to get too carried away with these types.

Last edited by Admin; 30-07-2013, 01:33 PM. Reason: removed explitives

Comment

^x2, I was thinking exact same thing Dawg. Edmonton doesn't need more cheerleaders, or useless planning reports (which 90 percent to date have been, just space on shelves), it needs the buracracy to take the same 'roll up the sleeves do work' attitude that Edmonton companies take. Wishful thinking I know, imagine if we put a 5 year moratorium on studies, self serving blogs and articles and made people implement some of the multitude of unimplimented plans we have? For example, Port Alberta might have happened in Edmonton instead of Calgary if we weren't still studying it.
              Last edited by moahunter; 26-07-2013, 12:46 PM.

Comment

his use of the monkier "E-Town" is enough to lose any credibility from me

Comment

Top D - I encourage you to sit down with Brad and get to know him. Having had the privilege to do so a few times through boards and events, I was even more impressed.

Actually, I encourage you all to meet him.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Originally posted by jdk13 View Post
                    his use of the monkier "E-Town" is enough to lose any credibility from me
                    Really.. he uses E Town because its the name of an EVENT.

http://www.e-town.ca/

ATTEND E-TOWN FESTIVAL

E-Town is an intensive two-day festival of ideas for entrepreneurial-minded people who get excited by innovation, change and disrupting common thought.

As an attendee you will:

be inspired by highly influential keynote speakers
                    connect with bright minded individuals in thought-provoking sessions
                    enjoy world-renowned entertainment
                    expand your perspective and bring new ideas back to your team
                    be part of the energy generated by this not-to-miss business event
                    Happening September 12-13, 2013 at the Shaw Conference Centre.
                    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Well, I do like what Brad has to say.
                      The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
                      It's heaven and hell!

Comment

Originally posted by edmonton daily photo View Post

ATTEND E-TOWN FESTIVAL

E-Town is an intensive two-day festival of ideas for entrepreneurial-minded people who get excited by innovation, change and disrupting common thought.

As an attendee you will:

be inspired by highly influential keynote speakers
                        connect with bright minded individuals in thought-provoking sessions
                        enjoy world-renowned entertainment
                        expand your perspective and bring new ideas back to your team
                        be part of the energy generated by this not-to-miss business event
                        Happening September 12-13, 2013 at the Shaw Conference Centre.
                        That's a rather long winded way of describing a circle jerk?...
                        "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

Comment

whether referring to the city, or the event, it sounds ridiculous. almost as ridiculous as the event program- what are they really trying to accomplish by presenting business minds and entrepreneurs alongside an astronaut and the barenaked ladies? and this is supposed to relate to our city how?

Comment

LOL! Top Dawg your killing me.

I do agree with the sentiment we need more people who DO and less people who TALK ABOUT doing things.

We need more people to put their $$ behind projects and DO. We have a million great ideas, lets get the ball rolling, shovels in the ground, ect ect
                            youtube.com/BrothersGrim
                            facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Comment

Originally posted by jdk13 View Post
                              whether referring to the city, or the event, it sounds ridiculous. almost as ridiculous as the event program- what are they really trying to accomplish by presenting business minds and entrepreneurs alongside an astronaut and the barenaked ladies? and this is supposed to relate to our city how?
                              First off, the younger generations have referring to Edmonton as E-Town for at least 15 - 20 years - it's very common. And it is these young and energetic entrepreneurs being targeted for the event and Ferguson's blogs.

What a ridiculous thing to complain about. And in typical C2E fashion, a complaint in a Rave topic to boot.

Comment

Working...
                              X