Give Hall D a chance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Give Hall D a chance

It hasn't opened yet and the landscaping on the Jasper side of Hall D is months away from completion, but the boo bird are already out in full force.

First, the view of the river valley heading south on 97 St. was only visible for a few moments. Same when driving down Jasper.

Second, since I live a block away from the building, I can tell you that most of the people who patronize the area to view the valley also panhandle for a living and have ample time to walk 30 seconds to the east for a spectacular view of the valley.

We should be more concerned about improving access to the river valley instead of knocking down a great, economically advantageous addition to downtown.

I agree everyone should give Hall D a chance.

The view was never great in that spot anyway--parking meters and street people always obscured it.

I also feel that we should be more concerened with improving access to the river valley.

However, I am unsure how the Hall D addition improves access to the river valley....

Comment

Re: Give Hall D a chance

Originally posted by JimR
      Second, since I live a block away from the building, I can tell you that most of the people who patronize the area to view the valley also panhandle for a living and have ample time to walk 30 seconds to the east for a spectacular view of the valley.

We should be more concerned about improving access to the river valley instead of knocking down a great, economically advantageous addition to downtown.
      First of all, I agree give the Hall a chance. I don't think anyone will argue the importance of having an expansion to the convention.

However, it is horribly integrated with Jasper avenue. It blocks the view from the street for pedestrians and vehicles. We brag about our valley and then we hide it between a grey wall.

I live a two blocks away and have often gone walking around there late at night. It's probably the Anthropologist in me.

The area may be undesirable right now, but with the Jasper East project, the new Ukrianian museum coming onto Jasper, and hopes for revitalizing that area increasing it seems foolish that we just killed one of the best features of that area. The long promenade was gorgeous. Now we've created something that will be there a VERY long time. So much for some kind of retro cafe with river valley views opening up in the old theatre or anything similar, for that matter.

It also does absolutely nothing for valley access. I used to live in Riverdale and would use the Centre to get up and down to the valley. Sundays in the winter were very annoying as the Convention Centre was locked up and all the outdoor stairs had chains...which I simply hopped over.

The design should have followed tennants that were clearly incorporated into the original building. Most of it was below Jasper avenue, still allowing for great views (ie. the plaza on the west side). Even some glass through which you could see the hall and valley beyond from Jasper...SOMETHING.

The Hall itself will have a great view, but it took away something great from Jasper. They may be panhandlers, but they're people and not the only users of the area. Saying people can just walk 30 more seconds is a defeatist attitude...how can we improve ourselves if we just wall everything up?
      LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Comment

As it sits now, the blank wall is bland. However, Jim raises an excellent point by saying we have not seen the final result of any landscaping etc. that is there. If it STAYS a blank wall, then a moniker like the "Berlin Wall" will be appropriate. If they make efforts to integrate it into the street better, then we can judge ...

As for this mythical River Valley "view" - er - I drove by it a lot and you really saw nothing. As a pedestiran, there are PLENTY of other areas to see this valley, including from INSIDE the always publically available Shaw Conference center - a place I often sit and eat my lunch.
        President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS
          As a pedestiran, there are PLENTY of other areas to see this valley, including from INSIDE the always publically available Shaw Conference center - a place I often sit and eat my lunch.
          Eh? So let's just build things in front of all viewing points? Can't say I agree with you on that one.

If I have time here this morning before proctoring some make up exams I'll try and go snap some photos of the Hall.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesC

Eh? So let's just build things in front of all viewing points? Can't say I agree with you on that one.

Nope, so not what I meant. What I am saying is that this portion is "unfortunate", but it is. So, before we boo bird it completely, let's see what it does and if it tries to integrate things. Maybe they can have a rooftop walkway?

In the future, yes, we should protect the views we have from the street, or ensure that anything that gets build is assured to integrate the river and the city...not a concrete wall.

Better?

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS
              Nope, so not what I meant. What I am saying is that this portion is "unfortunate", but it is. So, before we boo bird it completely, let's see what it does and if it tries to integrate things. Maybe they can have a rooftop walkway?

In the future, yes, we should protect the views we have from the street, or ensure that anything that gets build is assured to integrate the river and the city...not a concrete wall.

Better?
              Much

The part I highlighted is VERY important.

And speaking of boo-birding...wasn't I who was defending it when we drove by the other day

Comment

Nope...it was the lululemon shoppers... :P

Comment

I attend conferences all over. I am in London right now and was in Amsterdam and Chicago the other week. I have to say Edmonton convention centre while beautiful outside, the Shaw centre is very outdated. I hope this D hall will provide incentive for Edmonton update some other venues that are important for venue events.

Comment

I would LOOOOOVE to organize a few IT conventions here, but even with the expansion, the Shaw is too small.

Comment

personally i love the "shoebox" look from the valley, i cannot even begin to imagine the views from inside. However, and yes i will wait till it is fully completed, but that north wall is ridiculous.

im sorry trees or not...who is the genius behind it?

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Here are a few pictures to set the context. I myself found I had overextended the amount it went east in my mind's eye .

From the corner of Hardware Grill

and some of the view from just east of the centre.

Comment

The picture with the article this weekend in the Journal was the first time I've seen it from the Jasper ave side. I've heard all you guys comment over the past couple of weeks on how bad it is, but I was not expecting it to be so massive and bland...it's worse than most of the above ground parkades.

Comment

Looks like there is a lot of sidewalk space in front of the wall. Perhaps they could rent out some of that space to street vendors in the future during the summer.

Comment

Like I said before, I think there is something planned for those recesses...or...I HOPE there is something planned for those recesses.

Comment

Working...
                              X