Quality of Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quality of Life

Hoot - Big E news keeps getting better and better.

Ahem: Does Edmonton have the highest quality of life in English speaking countries? According to Numbeo.com the answer is yes.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...ing-countries/
    ... gobsmacked

One of the lowest cost of housing to income ratios of anyone on that list.
    I think it's a combination of decent house prices and high income.

Comment

Imagine how we would have scored 10 years ago with houses at half or a third of today's prices, great job situation, lower city and provincial government expenditures and debt... We'd have been right off the charts!

Actually, I guess we were, as usual.

Comment

Another article on it

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/12...#slide=1834452

Comment

Another liveability report... "Canada ...does seem in 2016 to have a distinct dearth, in relative terms, of angry, embittered, jaded, dissatisfied headbangers ..." However, it seems a lot of people want to import American politics, etc.

Now London has come 53rd in the global liveability report, it's time we accept Canada and Australia are doing everything better
          Grace Dent 19 September 2016

There’s something perverse about placing cities in a “liveability” list and then doling out winners and losers; nevertheless, the Economist Intelligence Unit’s 2016 Global Liveability Report makes for fascinating reading. Presumably the former residents of Damascus, currently sat in muddy slum conditions on the Macedonian borders, have already figured out that a life in the list’s winner Melbourne, Australia might be a lot lovelier than either staying put or “going home”. Likewise, no one in Tripoli is waking up this morning to the shock news that life is breezier in Vancouver. However, ..."

Canada is far from a wonderland, but it does seem in 2016 to have a distinct dearth, in relative terms, of angry, embittered, jaded, dissatisfied headbangers – and I count myself among them – who could start a fight in an empty room. Let’s all move to Canada. They’ve had it too good for far too long.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...-a7316591.html
          Last edited by KC; 20-09-2016, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Canada ranks No. 1 in global Quality of Life list
            https://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/can...list-1.4265201
            Thanks to its prestige, economic stability and quality of life, Switzerland has emerged the leader on a new list that ranks the countries with the best reputations around the world. In other categories, Canada was deemed to have the best quality of life and the U.K. best for education.

In U.S. News and World Report's 2019 Best Countries Report, produced with the BAV Group and the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, 20,300 respondents from 36 countries in the Americas, Europe, Middle East, Asia and Africa were asked to score 80 countries based on 65 attributes.

The attributes were grouped under categories like adventure, citizenship, cultural influence, entrepreneurship, heritage, movers, open for business, power and quality of life.
            Rankings

Overall
            Switzerland
            Japan
            Canada
            Germany
            United Kingdom
            Sweden
            Australia
            United States
            Norway
            France

For Quality of Life

Canada
            Sweden
            Denmark

Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

For Quality of Life
              1. Canada
              2. Sweden
              3. Denmark

To Start a Business

1. Thailand
              2. India
              3. China

Most Powerful
              1. United States
              2. Russia
              3. China

For Women
              1. Sweden
              2. Denmark
              3. Canada

For Education
              1. United Kingdom
              2. United States
              3. Canada

For Comfortable Retirement
              1. New Zealand
              2. Switzerland
              3. Australia

We really need to be higher, in starting a business, it's very difficult, but well worth it.Very satisfactory.

Also retirement, we need to be higher.

Last edited by H.L.; 23-01-2019, 12:07 PM.
              Animals are my passion.

Comment

Did I hear that the City just made another magazine/newspaper list as a "recommended city" to visit?

Comment

i keep arguing all over the 'net with ignorant people mostly from places like Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary that think their cities are some kind of utopia because they have the mountains, ocean or great lakes at their doorstep and Edmonton sucks because we don't have these, but i keep reminding them that Edmonton's quality of life is OUTSTANDING whether we have these things or not.

Comment

We have a great river valley that has tons of recreational potential. I still can't believe there are people living in this city that don't take advantage of that, while looking at Vancouver or Calgary.
                    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Not everyone is a bike nerd, Matt. Some people are ski or snowboard nerds.
                      Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

There's more to the river valley than biking.... including xc or downhill ski and snowboarding.
                        A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Originally posted by H.L. View Post
                          For Quality of Life
                          1. Canada
                          2. Sweden
                          3. Denmark

To Start a Business

1. Thailand
                          2. India
                          3. China

Most Powerful
                          1. United States
                          2. Russia
                          3. China

For Women
                          1. Sweden
                          2. Denmark
                          3. Canada

For Education
                          1. United Kingdom
                          2. United States
                          3. Canada

For Comfortable Retirement
                          1. New Zealand
                          2. Switzerland
                          3. Australia

We really need to be higher, in starting a business, it's very difficult, but well worth it.Very satisfactory.

Also retirement, we need to be higher.

So if quality of life and retirement are separately ranked, are there comfortable early life and comfortable mid life categories?

Also in looking at which countries are in currently top ranked for starting a business, a high ranking may not be a positive indicator. In Entrepreneurship Canada is far above these top ranked countries.

https://media.beam.usnews.com/55/57/...kings-2019.pdf

Comfortable retirement applies to “upper class” only?

Best Countries for a Comfortable Retirement

These are the top countries that affluent people consider for where to live out their lives.

“The Best Countries for a Comfortable Retirement, based on scores from people 45 years or older who consider themselves “upper class,” are ranked on seven attributes: affordable, favorable tax environment, friendly, is a place I would live, pleasant climate, respects property rights and has a well-developed public health system. These are the top five.”

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-cou...ble-retirement

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-cou...erall-rankings

“The Best Countries to Start a Business ranking draws from the results of a global perceptions-based survey and ranks countries based on scores from nearly 6,000 business decision-makers in a compilation of five country attributes: affordable, bureaucratic, cheap manufacturing costs, connected to the rest of the world, and easy access to capital.“

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-cou...art-a-business
                          Last edited by KC; 03-09-2019, 08:45 AM.

Comment

When I lived in Calgary, would ask folks if they ever went to the mountains.

Most said, " no, effing tourists ...."

Edmonton has no mountains, no ocean or great lake. But usually, the river valley or a ravine is but a short bike ride or even walk away.

Can't get that in the centre of the universe, or horse-killer stampede place. Vancouver, I give some dibs to. Not a lot, but some.

Funny thing about YVR - they have this fantastic kitchen shop and it's on East Hastings. Oh the irony ...
                            ... gobsmacked

Comment

Originally posted by McBoo View Post
                              When I lived in Calgary, would ask folks if they ever went to the mountains.

Most said, " no, effing tourists ...."

Edmonton has no mountains, no ocean or great lake. But usually, the river valley or a ravine is but a short bike ride or even walk away.

Can't get that in the centre of the universe, or horse-killer stampede place. Vancouver, I give some dibs to. Not a lot, but some.

Funny thing about YVR - they have this fantastic kitchen shop and it's on East Hastings. Oh the irony ...
                              There is a very long list of places I would call - "nice places to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there" and for me Vancouver is definitely one of them. They do have a beautiful seawall, but how many times can you walk or run it before it becomes a bit routine or boring? I also know I would find their rainy season (and pricey real estate) a bit too much to take.

I suppose same thing about the mountains, nice to visit from time to time, but who really goes there every weekend except for a few avid skiers or hikers? Most people have busy lives and can not take a trip out to Banff every weekend (which is kind of crowded with tourists and I find not as enjoyable as it used to be), even if it is a day trip and I think after a while I would probably get tired of it after a while.

Here in Edmonton there are some very nice river valley or ravine views, if you want to see a nice view on a regular basis.

Comment

Working...
                              X