Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gord Lacey
    replied
    They've scrapped the plans for the 30 storey tower, and I've heard it's being replaced with two smaller towers on the site, though I don't know the height of them.

Leave a comment:

• JamesL
    replied
    Probably because living within a reasonable walking distance to a grocer is something that many people -- particularly those that live a less car-dependent lifestyle -- value a great deal. You're right that it's a private enterprise that doesn't have to continue its current endeavors if they don't want to, but you can't expect a major amenity like a grocer to close without causing disappointment or inconvenience to those that rely on it.

Leave a comment:

• nickv
    replied
    Can someone elaborate in regards to why the closing of a grocery store to redevelop into a possible 28~ story building is a such a bad thing? It is private enterprise; if they choose to shut down operations to pursue other ventures, that is their discretion. Not everyone wants to operate a grocery store. It's a cut throat business being a mom-and-pop shop competing against the big guys, and relying on supposed "community goodwill" for continued operation is a financial farce.

Condo development is the hottest piece of the real estate pie in Canada currently, and 99 st and 89 ave is a gorgeous location and in my opinion, underutilized. Perfect for a 20 some story mixed use development. I'll take urban intensification over a grocery store any day.

Leave a comment:

• hungryman4000
    replied
    Out with it boys, now we want to know.

Leave a comment:

• Gord Lacey
    replied
    It's not really appropriate for the thread, and isn't really part of the discussion here. Let's just leave it at that.

Leave a comment:

• Dialog
    replied
    Originally posted by The Man From YEG View Post
    Originally posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    ^ She's a local resident
    I know exactly where she lives, but I don't understand what The Man From YEG was implying with his comment. There's also an MP that lives close by as well. Not sure how that affects the closure of the grocery store, or the possibility of a tower going up. It was a bizarre comment to make, so I was hoping he'd expand on it.
    I sent you a PM
    Perhaps publicly-made cryptic comments should be explained publicly...?

Leave a comment:

• kcantor
    replied
    Yup, I think that's part of the frustration right now. The Bateman's now aren't behaving as the Bateman's have in the past. Previous generations always worked with the community, and for the community, while now it's viewed that they're working against the community with this tower project. It's why many (mostly the people who have lived here for decades) are so upset.
    they have a development partner/manager in this project who probably doesn't have the same community ties and who is likely exercising more control in the process and timing and strategies than is apparent to a casual observer who thinks this just is a bateman project that they control. my own experiences with the family have been straightforward and heartfelt.

Leave a comment:

• Gord Lacey
    replied
    Yup, I think that's part of the frustration right now. The Bateman's now aren't behaving as the Bateman's have in the past. Previous generations always worked with the community, and for the community, while now it's viewed that they're working against the community with this tower project. It's why many (mostly the people who have lived here for decades) are so upset.

Leave a comment:

• mseaver
    replied
    There were already lots of people that were upset at the Batemans,
    The announcement about the impending closure was pointed out to me by a passenger as we drove past Wed evening (9/13).

The thread about Wild Earth and here the remark about the Batemans prompt this post.

Don't know anymore than I've just read. It is enough to prompt me to write that "Tubby" Bateman was well respected by his peers in the business community during my parent's era. If the actions of subsequent generations smudged the family name, this is a disservice to the goodwill built up in the community by the patriarch.

His first name was Weldon. Looked it up, he was only ever referred to as Tubby by anyone I knew who mentioned him.

Leave a comment:

• The Man From YEG
    replied
    ^ She's a local resident
    I know exactly where she lives, but I don't understand what The Man From YEG was implying with his comment. There's also an MP that lives close by as well. Not sure how that affects the closure of the grocery store, or the possibility of a tower going up. It was a bizarre comment to make, so I was hoping he'd expand on it.
    I sent you a PM

Leave a comment:

• Gord Lacey
    replied
    ^ She's a local resident

Leave a comment:

• Highlander II
    replied
    She was clearly not buying enough wild, earthy things to keep the store afloat.

Leave a comment:

• GenWhy?
    replied
    And?

Leave a comment:

• Sonic Death Monkey
    replied
    ^ She's a local resident

Leave a comment:

• Gord Lacey
    replied
    In terms of what?