AGA - Art Gallery of Alberta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AGA - Art Gallery of Alberta

Went to the AGA with family yesterday. I've been to a wedding in the main hall before, but not in the galleries. We took the inlaws there as part of their 60th bday. What a great experience. There was actually a line up 10 people long at the reception of people waiting to pay. The space is fantastic, and I really enjoyed the gift shop they have. The Matisse display was interesting, but everyone seemed entralled with the Oil (Edward Burtynsky) display on the top floor. We started at 3:30 and got kicked out at 5pm when the gallery closed. Would have liked to spend more time there. The little coffee shop on the top floor is a nice touch.

As luck would have it, they were lighting the tree in the square as we got out, so the fireworks were a nice addition to the birthdays we were celebrating.

Parking in the library parkade was only $1 for a couple hours.

I heard that oil display is fantastic. will be checking it out myself.... thx for the review!
    i love lamp

Comment

REMINDER:

Saturday, November 20, 9 pm-2 am

Come out and party in the Gallery with a mix of Alberta-based talent! Take in three floors of exhibitions, groove to slick tunes by local DJs and immerse yourself in oil-inspired dance performances. Participate in interactive art projects – build a ‘manufactured landscape’ and create your own ‘carbon footprint’ to add to an ongoing installation piece!

Performances: MILE ZERO Dance
      Music: DJs Fish Griwkowsky and Sideponytail
      Five exhibitions: works by Burtynsky, Matisse, Picasso, Kandinsky, St. Pierre and more
      Get creative: interactive art projects
      Get social: drinks and snacks

Tickets

$20 advance / $25 door
      AGA Members 10% off / AGA Ultra Members 50% off
      Purchase tickets online

Must be 18+ to attend

OIL Photo Contest

Enter our OIL Photo Contest for your chance to win two tickets Refinery – and to see your photos on the big screen at the party!

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Good to hear you had a great time at the gallery. I have talked to several people that have attended the gallery since it opened and have heard nothing but positive comments.

Comment

Finally got to see the Lobby for my Staff Appreciation. Very nice lobby. Will have to go back to view the whole building one day.
          youtube.com/BrothersGrim
          facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Comment

I saw the Oil exhibit last week, and will go again. It will be here until January. There are about 40 images, and crystal clear, as if you were looking out of a window. It's an exhibit that's well-worth seeing. Also the Group of Seven exhibit is interesting.
            Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Comment

I was at the AGA as well last Sunday to see Burtynsky's fabulous industrial landscapes. Matisse's drawings and sculptures were very interesting as well, illustrating his artistic evolution and a lesser known side of his boy of work. All definitely worth seeing.
              Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Comment

Is there some reason why we need a new thread for the gallery? Couldn't this be added to one of the other ones?

Comment

^ Because this board can use more Raves!
                  “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

My Husband and I went to the AGA for our anniversary, after a delicious brunch at Zinc (which was almost empty btw) we went upstairs where a guided tour of the Oil exihibit was just starting. We were the only ones there so our tour ended up being a private one!

Our guide was very knowledgeable and it was a stunning exhibit. It was especially interesting to see the pics at the end of the countries where the oil industry has dried up... it kind of puts into question the "Albertan Attitude" that the good times will keep on rolling.

Overall, very impressed!

Comment

A nice gesture from the gallery:

http://home.mytelus.com/telusen/port...CatID=National
                      Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

The 17 most beautiful museums around the world

Add some architecture to your travels
                        BY MEGAN [email protected] FEB 23, 2017, 12:12PM EST
                        http://www.curbed.com/2017/2/23/1469...d-architecture

Comment

Great to see, we need more awareness and publicity of it.

Comment

Good list, AGA belongs as the sole Canadian building. But I do wish we'd get past this "borealis" thing. Russel Stout was perfectly clear that Aurora Borealis had nothing to do with his inspiration, and that the steel ribbon is 100% the North Saskatchewan River from the map.

Funny how much the Italian museum made me think about the new RAM. I'd agree the Italian museum belongs and I wouldn't say RAM would, but it makes me see the new RAM slightly differently.

http://www.curbed.com/2017/2/23/1469...d-architecture

Originally posted by IanO View Post
                            Great to see, we need more awareness and publicity of it.
                            We need more Edmontonians to challenge the art in person and try to figure out what the artists are trying to say. That's what will make it relevant other than for a fantastic building.
                            Let's make Edmonton better.

Comment

Man o man I love events on their main floor space next to Zinc. Amazing space for about 100.

Comment

Working...
                              X