No announcement yet.

Princess Theatre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There it is - the left always prefers a "cost" to someone's speech, rather than than let people speak freely.

The thing they don't understand is that those rules will inevitably be used against them (or the people they care about) sometime in their future as well, and they will wish they had the ability to freely speak.

Tyrants and authoritarians despise free speech.

Comment

Originally posted by MrOilers View Post
      There it is - the left always prefers a "cost" to someone's speech, rather than than let people speak freely.

The thing they don't understand is that those rules will inevitably be used against them (or the people they care about) sometime in their future as well, and they will wish they had the ability to freely speak.

i don't think this is a restriction on the rebel's right to free speech.

the rebel is still free to print and/or otherwise distribute their views regardless of what others may think of those views.

what they don't have a right to do is to rent someone else's property within which to disseminate views that the party who owns that property objects to. i think that's an extension of the owner's right to exercise their views over their property.

if this were space i controlled, it might well be available for the alberta diabetes or the glenrose foundation to hold a fundraiser or educational event. it might even be available to host a debate between the candidates during the next election. it wouldn't be available as a platform for the local kkk and it wouldn't be available as a platform for the ba'ath brigade either.

i would consider that nothing more than not being prepared to surrender my rights to theirs and i don't think it's either a left or right wing issue although. and while it might be true that tyrants and authoritarians despise free speech, it's equally true that those who would be tyrants and authoritarians are not entitled to deprive me of my rights of expression to deny them my support.
      "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

I do not know what the full story is but I knew an event organizer in the 1980's that booked venue space and he said that several times promoters or organizations do it under false pretenses.

One time he had two guys in suits book a social club event that turned out to be a large biker gang that totally trashed the place, something like $50,000 in damages. He found out that the two guys were lawyers for the bikers and they even physically threatened his lawyer when they tried to get hem to pay damages.

He changed the contracts to be more specific of what the event was limited to.

Another time, the venue was booked for a band. When he noticed posters for the event, it was not one band but 4 bands and included strippers. He canceled the contract.

Was the Princess Theater aware of what the whole planned event was at the time of booking?
        Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Originally posted by noodle View Post
          So you're advocating for the tolerance of the intolerant?

https://xkcd.com/1357/

(American, but gets the point across)
          I tolerate you, so the answer is yes.

Intolerance | Definition of Intolerance at Dictionary.com

- lack of tolerance; unwillingness or refusal to tolerate or respect opinions or beliefs contrary to one's own.

- unwillingness or refusal to tolerate or respect persons of a different social group, especially members of a minority group.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/intolerance

(Additionally, you recently tried to use someone’s special needs son as a means to demean the father. Isn’t that form of bigotry pretty much proof of a negative generalized bias. Intolerance often stems from such bigotry and ignorance.)

Comment

Originally posted by MrOilers View Post

How do you know they are on the left?

Found this below. Seems that you don’t know what you’re talking about.

The “rules” of the property owner/operator seem to be about avoiding violence not about quashing free speech.

Yet you appear to have jumped to the conclusion that the property owner/operator had rules to specifically limit free speech.

Rebel News - “Boo, Antifa!” Edmonton Rebel supporters speak out after left-wing thugs interrupt Libranos book event

”After left-wing threats caused the local Princess Theatre owner to cancel our Libranos book launch, we took the party down the street. “

https://www.rebelnews.com/boo_antifa...nterrupt_event

Rebel says cancelled event at Princess Theatre is still on | Edmonton Journal

“Another book launch event is scheduled for Oct. 15 at Calgary’s Plaza Theatre, which is also owned by Brar.“

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...-amid-backlash
            Last edited by KC; 23-11-2019, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Noodle said "So you're advocating for the tolerance of the intolerant?"
              My question is: who defines what is intolerant?
              Who would you allow to define what is acceptable for you to say?

Comment

Working...
              X