Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Social disorder, graffiti, construction issues working against city's image, councillors told

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Social disorder, graffiti, construction issues working against city's image, councillors told

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ncil-1.5210704

Business associations says Edmonton lags behind other cities in cleanliness and order

Between construction, graffiti and unwanted social interactions, Edmonton isn't as clean or appealing as other North American cities, council's executive committee heard Friday.

Downtown is seeing more businesses staying or relocating to the city centre, but Edmonton lags behind other communities in many other ways, said Ian O'Donnell, executive director of the Downtown Business Association.
    "Vis à vis other cities, we are not making the grade. Period," said O'Donnell, who was at committee to discuss a report on how the city is doing at retaining businesses in the downtown core.
    He has heard from investors and business people from Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary who have related their negative experiences and impressions from walking only a few downtown blocks.

"The overall experience — the look, the feel, the cleanliness, the beautification, the level of care — is far below almost any city I go to."
    O'Donnell noted the billions of dollars invested in buildings and projects in the city are getting overshadowed.
    "You can have a shiny tower but if you're walking by and you get harassed, that's the experience you're taking back."

There's probably good reason this was ignored in the downtown retail thread... Someone is coy to admit that they are now parroting what's been said for years on c2e... Is our Downtown for Everyone Champion finally getting it? Nah. Read on.

Most of Coun. Scott McKeen's ward is downtown. He said the issue isn't new.
    O'Donnell referred to Seattle as a success story, pointing out that teams clean key areas every day and use power washers to clean the streets.
    This seems like another ask for city $$$ rather than what most BAs do, fund it themselves. It's a night and day difference how other cities downtown retailers treat their sidewalk storefronts compared to what happens in Edmonton. Nearly daily, most retailers in other major cities, and especially downtown routinely clean their own frontages. Here it seems like its just an opportunity for another ask of $$$. Maybe the local BA could get together and fund a routine power-wash of their store fronts like other BAs do?

Backstreet renewal

Klassen and O'Donnell both asked the city for more investment in fixing main streets and back alleys.

There we are folks! No asks for help for the 'bad social interactions' just fix our sidewalks and alleyways and spend more money on making things shiny, while we attempt to dismiss the issue and sweep it under the rugs (sidewalks)...

How about we put a full stop to the 51,000,000.00 park that we don't need, and spend some of that money on providing services to getting the help these people need? I'm not an expert on homelessness or vagrants, beggars and street thugs, but certainly that large sum of money could go along way to solving many of the issues, from helping with addiction, providing food, shelter, education and job training. Or you know, we can continue to make things all shiny, in hopes the problem will disappear under the shine???

Last edited by Medwards; 15-07-2019, 06:24 AM.
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Or stop being so negatively biased and focus instead on doing both.

Plus never buy into the lack of money BS that gets dished out as an excuse to not do what you don’t want to spend money on. (We regularly see massive amounts of found budgetary money spent on projects we never thought we could afford.)
    Last edited by KC; 15-07-2019, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Had another breakin in my condo parkade. Almost becoming a monthly occurrence.

Comment

Originally posted by Medwards View Post
        https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ncil-1.5210704

How about we put a full stop to the 51,000,000.00 park that we don't need, and spend some of that money on providing services to getting the help these people need? I'm not an expert on homelessness or vagrants, beggars and street thugs, but certainly that large sum of money could go along way to solving many of the issues, from helping with addiction, providing food, shelter, education and job training. Or you know, we can continue to make things all shiny, in hopes the problem will disappear under the shine???

These guys need a Clockwork Orange solution. That $51M park is sorely needed, and the police have more than adequate resourcing to tackle the problem. This is not a money issue. This is a policing philosophy issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Safir View Post
          Had another breakin in my condo parkade. Almost becoming a monthly occurrence.
          Which building are you in Safir? PM me if you wish.
          There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

Comment

Remember over a decade ago when some people dared to say that slapping a taxpayer-funded entertainment district right smack in the middle of a neighbourhood full of social services in a Downtown with long-term fundamental & systemic issues regarding the homeless/disadvantaged (& associated crime) wasn't going to be the panacea to urban rejuvenation & revitalization that the boosters' portrayed it as?

Good times.
            Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

Whyte Ave got dirtier when the new smoking bylaws came in. All the ashtrays were removed, but smokers are still smoking. The result is they have nowhere to put their cigarette butts, so they toss them on the sidewalk (which is what lots we’re doing before, but now everyone does it).

Look, I don’t like smoking, but removing the ashtrays while not cracking down on the smoking was a stupid move by the city. They need to bring the ashtrays back, because they certainly aren’t going to be cracking down on smokers at 1am. New bylaws that aren’t enforced mean there aren’t new bylaws.
              They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Comment

There was a trade-off between gentrification and crime. Since we've built on vacant parking lots, the gentrification did not occur. This is now a policing philosophy issue.
                We need to see "hulk smash" more often.

https://twitter.com/CBCEdmonton/stat...80472986996736

Originally posted by noodle View Post
                Remember over a decade ago when some people dared to say that slapping a taxpayer-funded entertainment district right smack in the middle of a neighbourhood full of social services in a Downtown with long-term fundamental & systemic issues regarding the homeless/disadvantaged (& associated crime) wasn't going to be the panacea to urban rejuvenation & revitalization that the boosters' portrayed it as?

Good times.

Comment

We had a wee meeting this morning as follow-up to last Friday's discussions at Executive Committee. 38 stakeholders including our MLA, Councillor's office, Mayor's office and the Chief of Police himself.

...more to come.

https://twitter.com/DBAyeg/status/1150847896964587520
                  @dbayeg

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Originally posted by Gord Lacey View Post
                    Whyte Ave got dirtier when the new smoking bylaws came in. All the ashtrays were removed, but smokers are still smoking. The result is they have nowhere to put their cigarette butts, so they toss them on the sidewalk (which is what lots we’re doing before, but now everyone does it).

Look, I don’t like smoking, but removing the ashtrays while not cracking down on the smoking was a stupid move by the city. They need to bring the ashtrays back, because they certainly aren’t going to be cracking down on smokers at 1am. New bylaws that aren’t enforced mean there aren’t new bylaws.
                    As per the request from the BIA Council and specifically the OSBA/DBA, Admin was directly by City Council to work with us to bring them back.

Comment

^^

i am becoming more and more convinced that we don't need any more focus groups or wee meetings.

we already know what we need to do to address the shortfalls of our physical environment.

we also already know what we need to do to address the shortfalls in our social environment.

with the first, we need to clean up our act, literally.

with the second, we need to legalize drugs. we can then reallocate the billions we spend on emergency response teams and police and medical services and courts and remand centres and prisons to providing support and preventative measures to the root causes.

anything else on either front is just another finger in another hole in the dike.
                      "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

Agreed Ken and hence the meeting today. Actionable items and commitment from both the public and private sectors.

Comment

Originally posted by IanO View Post
                          Agreed Ken and hence the meeting today. Actionable items and commitment from both the public and private sectors.
                          is one of those "actional items and commitments" a call for the legalization of all personal drug use and for the legalization of the sale or possession of all drugs for personal drug use?

Comment

Ken, this meeting was not with the federal government as far as I can tell. Furthermore, even if it was I'd lay the blame for the social disorder squarely on them: safe injection sites are their boondoggle.They are OK with putting their foot down on these, but not on asserting federal rights when it comes to energy corridors. AND I AM PAYING FOR IT.

You know what: I'd be more than willing to pay to fly these wretches to Ottawa.
                            Originally posted by kcantor View Post
                            is one of those "actional items and commitments" a call for the legalization of all personal drug use and for the legalization of the sale or possession of all drugs for personal drug use?

Comment

Originally posted by Safir View Post
                              Ken, this meeting was not with the federal government as far as I can tell. Furthermore, even if it was I'd lay the blame for the social disorder squarely on them: safe injection sites are their boondoggle.They are OK with putting their foot down on these, but not on asserting federal rights when it comes to energy corridors. AND I AM PAYING FOR IT.

You know what: I'd be more than willing to pay to fly these wretches to Ottawa.
                              Originally posted by kcantor View Post
                              trust me, the federal government was at that meeting even if they weren't at the table and their connections go a lot further than the safe injection sites and the lack of an energy corridor. the article talked about some pretty major construction projects, many of which wouldn't be taking place without lots of provincial and federal dollars (from the two lrt lines to the winspear and the citadel). it also talked about "another 21"...

even if the federal government isn't at the table, there's absolutely no reason they shouldn't be and plenty of reasons they should be and even if they're not at the table there's no reason that those who are shouldn't be writing and emailing and letting them know this needs more than lip service at all levels.

Comment

Working...
                              X