No announcement yet.

motorcycle noise - it's getting worse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For anyone who thinks it's "only 2 seconds" and no big deal, it’s for safety, it's neither only or 2 seconds or for safety.

It's not unusual for it to be 12 or 15 seconds, not 2, and it's not unusual for it to be 12 or 15 seconds every 10 or 12 minutes hour after hour after hour. And it's just as true - and even more annoying - when it's 2 o'clock in the morning and there's not another soul on the road to make other drivers take notice “for the safety of the rider”. It's gear down and take a run up the hill just to see how much noise they can make.

As for that safety “loud pipes save lives” crap, giving it the benefit of a doubt, it's maybe 2% "safety” but isn't that what horns are for? After all, it's up to them as much as the other driver to pay attention to what’s going on around them and the more noise they’re making the less they can hear what else is going on around them. It’s 49% "look at me, aren't I cool?" and 49% "listen to me, don't you love that sound as much as I do?".

The only nice thing I can think about the first snow-fall that will be here all too soon is "at least I don't have to listen to that again until the spring". And for what it's worth, some of their four-wheel brethren's machines are no better and just as intrusive.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

I'm a motorcylist. "Loud pipes save lives" is total and utter BS in absolutely every respect.

Comment

I have a car that can be as loud as 115dB on the racetrack, but I drive it such that it is within limits and have a silencer. I am completely fed up with bikes and any other vehicle that purposely drives like a jackass anywhere in the city, but in particular along Jasper and Whyte.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

In terms of noise, electricity driving vehicles will make the world so much nicer to live in but it’s done the opposite by driving amps and speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
            I'm a motorcylist. "Loud pipes save lives" is total and utter BS in absolutely every respect.
            Picking up a bit on KC's post above, in conjunction with yours Marcel, maybe electric bikes will come with throbbing synthesized 'loud pipes'. You know, for safety.
            Nisi Dominus Frustra

Comment

Funny how some riders are adamant about loud pipes saving lives but are dressing in ways that make them less visible. Makes me question how much they care about safety compared to how much they care about appearance.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Comment

I can't help but note the errant focus of a thread like this on a board like this. In the EJ this weekend an excellent article on biker gang violence, decades of murders, gang wars, and with Edmonton and area being a hotbed of activity, one of the worst infested biker gang cities in the Nation.

THOSE are the bikers that bother me. With several hundred corollary drug od deaths due to the trafficking of subtsances like opioids by biker gangs. When they aren't stepping on product and cutting it.

A biker can be as loud as they want on their bike and it doesn't bother me. Having gang infestation in this city, is always what bothers me.

Only citing this because what concerns get expressed, and what don't, are really odd to me.
                "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

^

to be fair i believe this is the first time you’ve raised or posted that issue as well.

not to say it isn’t an issue but you have the same ability to start a new thread/topic on anything that concerns you as everyone else...

Comment

Originally posted by Replacement View Post
                    I can't help but note the errant focus of a thread like this on a board like this. In the EJ this weekend an excellent article on biker gang violence, decades of murders, gang wars, and with Edmonton and area being a hotbed of activity, one of the worst infested biker gang cities in the Nation.

THOSE are the bikers that bother me. With several hundred corollary drug od deaths due to the trafficking of subtsances like opioids by biker gangs. When they aren't stepping on product and cutting it.

A biker can be as loud as they want on their bike and it doesn't bother me. Having gang infestation in this city, is always what bothers me.

Only citing this because what concerns get expressed, and what don't, are really odd to me.
                    Heh, you don't think there would be any crossover between bikers with loud pipes and bikers in gangs?
                    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Comment

Originally posted by howie View Post
                      Picking up a bit on KC's post above, in conjunction with yours Marcel, maybe electric bikes will come with throbbing synthesized 'loud pipes'. You know, for safety.
                      Actually, the silence of electric vehicles IS a concern for pedestrians: https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-electric-cars

Originally posted by Paul Turnbull
                      Funny how some riders are adamant about loud pipes saving lives but are dressing in ways that make them less visible. Makes me question how much they care about safety compared to how much they care about appearance.

This is very true. I read about one massive study of hundreds of thousands of motorcycle accidents, and it was very clear that certain colors of riding gear and motorcycle were more or less likely to be involved in an accident. My first bike, helmet and jacket were all black. After reading that, the next jacket I got was red (red and yellow were safest, black and white least safe) and I figured I may as well get a red Ducati too. Purely for safety, of course.

Yet the "loud pipes save lives" brigade continue to be clad in almost all black. Funny, that.

Comment

Originally posted by howie View Post
                        All will be good. Our wearable tech will jolt us with electric shocks as quiet vehicles approach. Minimally endowed troglodyte drivers will augment their driver experience by upgrading to “orgasmatron” options added to their electric bike seats etc. The mobile version of this:
                        Sleeper - The Orgasmatron
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isrd7E5nzIQ

Comment

Originally posted by kcantor View Post
                          ^

to be fair i believe this is the first time you’ve raised or posted that issue as well.

not to say it isn’t an issue but you have the same ability to start a new thread/topic on anything that concerns you as everyone else...
                          On the contrary I can't start threads here as I've mentioned several times as the site interface only works for me on standard editor format, which does not allow me to start threads. I've mentioned the biker issue countless times and I have in presentations I do as well. People aren't much interested in that for some reason.

Theres some that even still hang onto the belief that drug use is victimless crime.
                          Last edited by Replacement; 10-09-2018, 12:53 AM.
                          "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Originally posted by Gord Lacey View Post

Heh, you don't think there would be any crossover between bikers with loud pipes and bikers in gangs?

Most biker gangs try to keep a low profile when not involve in their actual criminal activities and drug running. This is not your dads Hell's Angels. In this era, and country they don't go out of their way looking for attention. You don't tend to see as many of the mass runs these days and when you do its in sufficient numbers to be unstoppable.

Comment

I can't start threads here as I've mentioned several times as the site interface only works for me on standard editor format, which does not allow me to start threads...
                              are you sure that's the issue? i can change my general setting to "standard editor" and still go to a [sub]forum - ie rants which is where this thread is - and successfully click the "+post new thread" button where i then get a text box to type what i want and a subject line which would become the name of the new thread in that [sub]forum...
                              Last edited by kcantor; 10-09-2018, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kcantor View Post
                                I can't start threads here as I've mentioned several times as the site interface only works for me on standard editor format, which does not allow me to start threads...
                                are you sure that's the issue? i can change my general setting to "standard editor" and still go to a [sub]forum - ie rants which is where this thread is - and successfully click the "+post new thread" button where i then get a text box to type what i want and a subject line which would become the name of the new thread in that [sub]forum...
                                Seems to work fine for me as well. Also score as I didn't know the Standard Editor thing existed and I hate the WYSIWG editor.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Comment

Working...
                                X