motorcycle noise - it's getting worse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motorcycle noise - it's getting worse

Tonight the motorcycle noise is a constant almost unbearable barrage.
    This evening, as usual, there are hordes of under-endowed troglodytes who constantly travel around in gangs and let their hogs rip out a racket that could flatter a deaf man.
    I've heard these toys bellowing away until 2 AM - and that's on a work/school night!
    The vehicle noise enforcement can't come soon enough.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    This evening, as usual, there are hordes of under-endowed troglodytes who constantly travel around in gangs and let their hogs rip out a racket that could flatter a deaf man.
    I've heard these toys bellowing away until 2 AM - and that's on a work/school night!
    “hordes of under-endowed troglodytes”

You’ve studied troglodyte endowment?

Comment

"You've studied troglodyte endowment?"

Might be related to this?
      https://www.rollingstone.com/culture...-thing-704846/
      I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
        Could you at least search out any of the past 10 threads on this and put the drivel there instead of spamming this first world city problem endlessly here? In the western world there are probably less motorcycles and motorcycle noise per capita than anywhere. Could you imagine living in a city of 15M people where motorcycles or scooters were a predominant form of transportation? This is such a nonexistent problem here its incredible.

You live in a city right? Imagine their being noise, oh the horror.

Unbearable? lmao

Are you OK, still with us? Did you survive?
        Last edited by Replacement; 07-09-2018, 08:10 AM.
        "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

It's worse in the suburbs, and not only bikes, also cars and trucks with fart cans. It's most disturbing because most of the time it's nice and quiet, until the dbag drives by revving around. It's the sudden change from quiet to loud that makes it so much worse, and wakes up the baby every goddamned time...

So much for supposed exhaust noise limits. I had a neighbor long ago who was swearing up a storm as he was chipping away at his exhaust on his loud motorcycle. Somebody had filled his exhaust pipes with expanding foam insulation that expands and then hardens. Looking back, it was a brilliant solution! Not sure if he got it all out, or changed the pipes back to stock pipes, but I do know he never ripped around the neighborhood again lol

Comment

Live in the suburbs and never bothered by it. Rather than become angry about motorcycle noise I just reflect that somebody is enjoying being on a bike and having the wind in their face. I don't drive a motorcycle, and only did for a very brief time, but enough I guess to know its enjoyable.

On some nights we get the Henday hum of trucks on the highway, seems to only occur some nights, other night you can barely hear it. Wind conditions or whatever. Its surprisingly quiet here. even with the occasional noises. I find it more disruptive is if a neighbor is having some back yard gathering and drunks yahooing to the middle of the night (they actually yahoo) But it doesn't bother me too much either. shut the window and any aggravation is done. Only time noise bothers me is If I'm camping in our tent trailer and some people are partying all night. Not supposed to be allowed after 11 but is allowed all the time.

In any dwelling with walls I'm not sure how noise is bothering people so much.
            Last edited by Replacement; 07-09-2018, 08:19 AM.
            "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Originally posted by Replacement View Post
              Heh, when I lived in an apartment downtown there was a guy with a suped-up civic that lived one building over. I could hear him leave his place and drive around the area, then back home, all with my windows closed. He was cleared a drug dealer, as he would leave his place sometimes 10-15 times a day, and he was back home within 10 mins.

So, no, living in a dwelling with walls doesn't prevent you from the noise of a modified vehicle.
              They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Comment

Live in the suburbs and never bothered by it. Rather than become angry about motorcycle noise I just reflect that somebody is enjoying being on a bike and having the wind in their face. I don't drive a motorcycle, and only did for a very brief time, but enough I guess to know its enjoyable.

On some nights we get the Henday hum of trucks on the highway, seems to only occur some nights, other night you can barely hear it. Wind conditions or whatever. Its surprisingly quiet here. even with the occasional noises. I find it more disruptive is if a neighbor is having some back yard gathering and drunks yahooing to the middle of the night (they actually yahoo) But it doesn't bother me too much either. shut the window and any aggravation is done. Only time noise bothers me is If I'm camping in our tent trailer and some people are partying all night. Not supposed to be allowed after 11 but is allowed all the time.

A great example of tolerance.

I find that a lot of people speak of how tolerant they are of others’ differences (“race”, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, etc) but then behave just as badly as racists in attacking less politically correct differences such as those with behavioural differences. Additionally, attempting to negatively label an entire group of people with a common condition, belief of behaviour, as with labelling blacks with the “n-word”, is pretty low.
                Last edited by KC; 07-09-2018, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Fine for you that it doesn't bother you. Try saying that when it wakes up a baby every time it happens.
                  Another reason we're considering going out to an acreage. Police aren't doing their jobs enforcing this.

Comment

Originally posted by alkeli View Post

Fine for you that it doesn't bother you. Try saying that when it wakes up a baby every time it happens.
                    Another reason we're considering going out to an acreage. Police aren't doing their jobs enforcing this.
                    Acreage problems are much more serious than noise. When you wake up to somebody doing a B & E or stealing stuff or worse intentions that's a lot more than noise. With the way things have gotten I would not want to live out in the Country any more where police often times don't even show up. You haven't been up on the news?

Yeah, would be harder with a baby but babies seem to wake up to a lot of stimulus. I recommend radiohead and earphones. For the baby... jk

Have you ever tried one of those whitenoise solutions that are ambient sound and block out other noises? For some that's a solution.

I find hotels a lot noisier. I like a seashore tape, waves coming in, seagulls etc. relaxes me hearing the lapping waves when other guests are pounding the walls and being elephants..

Comment

Originally posted by alkeli View Post

I believe you’re describing the nanny state.

Comment

Originally posted by KC View Post

I find that a lot of people speak of how tolerant they are of others’ differences (“race”, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, etc) but then behave just as badly as racists in attacking less politically correct differences such as those with behavioural differences. Additionally, attempting to negatively label an entire group of people with a common condition, belief of behaviour, as with labelling blacks with the “n-word”, is pretty low.
                        heh, thanks. Not every day here I'm described as tolerant. But I do like to be live and let live wherever I am. As much as humanly possible. I probably don't convey that online as much being that my opinionated side comes out more online.

A story here. When in Toronto, (this sounds like an add) we used to stay at the Selby hotel, the old Hemingway haunt. Yeah, Ernest. For decades it was a rundown place, area, but cheap like borsht. There was a nightclub adjacent that had outdoor parties till 3-4am every night in the back. LOUD, even in your room. You got used to it because the weekly rate was 275bucks (the price of one day anywhere else in DT Toronto) so we learned to love it. Even though we were older than the revelers we were invited to check out the parties. Lots of LGBTQ, Rave kind of crowd. knowing what kind of fun those people were having, really absolute celebrations, it of course transformed ones view of it. The first while it could be perceived as annoying noise. After that it was added atmosphere that just made you feel like being in a vibrant city. The fun was harmless. it was only noise, no risk, no threat to it.
                        Last edited by Replacement; 07-09-2018, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KC View Post

heh, thanks. Not every day here I'm described as tolerant. But I do like to be live and let live wherever I am. As much as humanly possible. I probably don't convey that online as much being that my opinionated side comes out more online.

A story here. When in Toronto, (this sounds like an add) we used to stay at the Selby hotel, the old Hemingway haunt. Yeah, Ernest. For decades it was a rundown place, area, but cheap like borsht. There was a nightclub adjacent that had outdoor parties till 3-4am every night in the back. LOUD, even in your room. You got used to it because the weekly rate was 275bucks (the price of one day anywhere else in DT Toronto) so we learned to love it. Even though we were older than the revelers we were invited to check out the parties. Lots of LGBTQ, Rave kind of crowd. knowing what kind of fun those people were having, really absolute celebrations, it of course transformed ones view of it. The first while it could be perceived as annoying noise. After that it was added atmosphere that just made you feel like being in a vibrant city. The fun was harmless. it was only noise, no risk, no threat to it.
                          Camped in BC once not knowing that the campground was full of mostly seniors for some music jamboree. Wild as could be. Sleep was repeatedly interrupted by the carousing seniors. We survived.

Comment

That's fine and dandy (the bold text). But do motorcyclists need to enjoy the breeze in their face along with 110 decibels of Harley?

Lots of folks like to sit on their deck and have a quiet, mellow evening. So nice to enjoy a summer breeze along with conversation with your friends. Then in the middle of your wife's story....BREAHHHHHHHHZZZZZZ!!!!

I live on Whyte ave. near Bonnie Doon Mall. It's annoying trying to watch a TV program and be interrupted by 20 sec. of Harley a few times an hour. I guess I should close my window when it's 28 Celsius to muffle the noise pollution. My bad for depriving a weekend warrior a summer breeze on their face.

Comment

You should have heard Whyte last night. Complete idiots tearing up and down the ave between 6 and 7, so I assume it got worse later on. I watched one guy on a Harley with a woman on the back weaving in and out of traffic while blasting his pipes. What a *****.
                              They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Comment

Working...
                              X