Whyte Avenue homeless discussion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whyte Avenue homeless discussion.

Good heavens, the hobos are out in full force now that the weather is nice. Every single bench or place where it's possible to sit is now covered with the butts of at least four homeless at any given time, all of them making catcalls or comments towards passerby. This is exactly the sort of thing the Downtown Business Association is cracking down on.

On a more pleasant note, that donut van that's popped up by MKT is really awesome.

My counterpart in Old Strathcona has mentioned that it seems worse than ever in that regard.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Originally posted by IanO View Post
      My counterpart in Old Strathcona has mentioned that it seems worse than ever in that regard.
      It's revved up in part because the Arena District has undergone a major change, and there are cops there whose entire JOB is to shuffle hobos on out of the way. Many of them have ended up in Strathcona, where there's no shelter or anything (just the new Neighbor Centre). But it's a minefield out there- I don't even go to Macs at night anymore, because you're GUARANTEED to encounter a pack of them, and at least one of them will have a smart mouth.

Comment

So Downtown gets rid of those deemed undesirable while complaining that they're not getting enough from the city despite all the money that they city has poured into a relatively underpopulated area. They need parks within a block or two of every person working downtown. Where people are actually advocating that they city subsidize grocery stores downtown because Save-On is too far to walk. And they don't want to use a bus or cab or Uber to get home with their groceries. Where IanO railed against the downtown FREE LRT because if something is free, people don't appreciate it. And yet free city sponsored movies in Churchill or city sponsored festivals like The Works are perfectly alright.

All neighbourhoods are equal but some are more equal than others.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabroniville View Post
          They're removing them from the AREA, not just the arena itself. Ie. Harass and bug hobos so they don't loiter anyone NEAR that area.

It's a public relations kind of thing- business owners don't want vagrants wandering around harassing passerby, and it'd be a black eye for the city to have their shiny new tax-sink fail to change the reputation of downtown. The problem is, those people just shuffle on down to Whyte.
          This is factually untrue.

Also, YESS is active and supporting those on Whyte.

Comment

Who has spoken to the city and gotten a positive response. And there's a numbder of downtowners here who have all said that Save-On is simply too far for them to go for their groceries.

Comment

They're removing them from the AREA, not just the arena itself. Ie. Harass and bug hobos so they don't loiter anyone NEAR that area.

It's a public relations kind of thing- business owners don't want vagrants wandering around harassing passerby, and it'd be a black eye for the city to have their shiny new tax-sink fail to change the reputation of downtown. The problem is, those people just shuffle on down to Whyte.

did you miss all those news reports about increased homeless presence elsewhere, entirely because of the arena? I think the Journal did a ride-along with police where this was explained.

And YESS serves mainly kids, does it not? Also, it's a ways from the heart of Strathcona.

Comment

did you miss all those news reports about increased homeless presence elsewhere, entirely because of the arena? I think the Journal did a ride-along with police where this was explained.

And YESS serves mainly kids, does it not? Also, it's a ways from the heart of Strathcona.
                YESS serves youth only. They operate the Arc at the former Armoury which is a drop-in centre closing at 4 daily for youth up to 24 years old. I think they’re usually open on weekends. Then there is their overnight shelter, Nexus, for youth up to 21 years old. YESS also operates a few long term residences in the city. Another drop-on Centre is the Old Strathcona Youth Society for homeless, street involved and otherwise vulnerable youth ages 14-24 years.

There are no adult shelters on the south side of the river.

Comment

Yeah, that's what I thought. The homeless I'm talking about are CLEARLY too old to be there, unless their lifestyle has aged them 20+ years or something. Most of them are pretty cracked and boozed out, but not to THAT level.

Comment

I sit on the Arena Benefits Committee and work directly with BSCS, REACH etc. and while some might feel that way, the general consensus is that it has not had a materially negative impact. Does it have more of a focus for EPS and security because of what it is and does that make some feel like they do not want to be around the area any longer, sure, but did it gentrify and displace like people assumed it would, not really, no.

Comment

yes actually it has, and will continue to do so. The ice district isn't even open yet. Phase 2 is still a long term vision, but as Phase 2 pushes north of the arena, you can bet your S2000 that this will push up rents in the area, and push the existing lower income people out. Absolutely. 100% it will, and has already begun. Even 101street north of 104 avenue is gentrifying. New shops/restaurants, etc now looking to serve different clientile than that street served in the past. Heck, even one of gintys favorite shi-tholes pubs is closing down, or has already.
                      Last edited by Medwards; 26-06-2018, 09:04 AM.
                      A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

I cross through immediately north of the Arena, in front of BSCS and between the Spady Centre and the Herb Jamison Centre twice a day.

There's been little change. The biggest is there are now bigger sidewalks and a bit more order in front of BSCS. The same crowds still gather, rough sleepers still rough sleep in the same places and in the same numbers, people still ask for smokes.

Displacement by the ice district so far consists of Greyhound relocating and the Grand/Crash hotel re-positioning. That's it. The MacDonald Lofts had been descending into squalor since the low-budget renovation 20+ years ago, it would be due for a re-do now regardless of Katz' purchase.
                        There can only be one.

Comment

Pardon my skepticism of a group entitled "The Arena BENEFITS Committee" reporting accurately about negative impacts of said arena. What a laffer!!

Comment

Comment

I am corrected in the groups name, but that was the original.

https://www.edmonton.ca/attractions_...committee.aspx

Comment

Working...
                              X