The Needle - Allegations and Closure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Needle - Allegations and Closure

Needle Vinyl Tavern sees bookings cancel as it reviews sexual harassment allegations
    https://globalnews.ca/news/3871585/n...t-allegations/
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Fruit Loop Society of Alberta.

Classic.

Comment

The Needle is CLOSED INDEFINITELY.
      “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Comment

Probably the right move, but a very difficult decision.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/theneedleyeg/

The Needle will be closed until further notice. Due to threats made to multiple staff, we do not feel we can safely operate the venue at the present time.
          “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Yeah, sure, not like they operated safely before.
            “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Comment

I’m not sure what to think about this whole situation and the hundreds like it we have heard about over the last little while. I want people who have been assaulted or hurt in some inappropriate way to receive justice... but using social media to receive it just doesn’t sit right with me. I’m all for taking a dump on people who have been charged and found guilty or those wieners who get off on technicalities but I don’t feel good about the domino effect this has had on people who relied on that place to make a living, for their entertainment and recreation, a stage to perform on, etc. Why couldn’t douchebag co-owner sell his investment to someone else and continue operating, with new management and strict HR policies etc? I want these losers to pay, but the emotionally derived justice victims have found on social media leaves a lot of room for mistakes; new unintented victims like the employees of the establishment in question; the reputations of these unintended victims who were not involved with these terrible events and I’m sure countless other uncontrollable consequences. Once you start, it can’t be stopped. When the general public reacts by threatening the safety of employees and patrons in attendance because the victims chose social media and the realm of public opinion to satisfy whatever they hoped would be satisfied, further lines and laws are crossed and we’re still waiting for systematic changes to occur to ensure justice for the true victims of these predators. I need logical and rational conversation, not emotional and uncontrolled social media courts to make up my mind. I almost think temporary courts with special resources to provide a voice to victims should be instituted before this gets further out of hand. The story that the system doesn’t work for victims can be changed.
              Last edited by etownboarder; 22-11-2017, 01:19 AM.

Comment

The Needle was on the news last night due to sexual harassment allegations i believe.
                Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Comment

Originally posted by etownboarder View Post
                  I’m not sure what to think about this whole situation and the hundreds like it we have heard about over the last little while. I want people who have been assaulted or hurt in some inappropriate way to receive justice... but using social media to receive it just doesn’t sit right with me. I’m all for taking a dump on people who have been charged and found guilty or those wieners who get off on technicalities but I don’t feel good about the domino effect this has had on people who relied on that place to make a living, for their entertainment and recreation, a stage to perform on, etc. Why couldn’t douchebag co-owner sell his investment to someone else and continue operating, with new management and strict HR policies etc? I want these losers to pay, but the emotionally derived justice victims have found on social media leaves a lot of room for mistakes; new unintented victims like the employees of the establishment in question; the reputations of these unintended victims who were not involved with these terrible events and I’m sure countless other uncontrollable consequences. Once you start, it can’t be stopped. When the general public reacts by threatening the safety of employees and patrons in attendance because the victims chose social media and the realm of public opinion to satisfy whatever they hoped would be satisfied, further lines and laws are crossed and we’re still waiting for systematic changes to occur to ensure justice for the true victims of these predators. I need logical and rational conversation, not emotional and uncontrolled social media courts to make up my mind. I almost think temporary courts with special resources to provide a voice to victims should be instituted before this gets further out of hand. The story that the system doesn’t work for victims can be changed.
                  She went to the owners (all of them), and they basically ignored her. Also, the staff brought up concerns about the hiring of someone they knew had harassed staff before. Nothing was done. I can only assume that the other owners are currently trying to buy out the one accused, but that can't be done overnight. Shutting the doors while they figure it out is the smart move to keep them from bleeding money daily considering shows are being cancelled and moved to avoid them.

I feel for the rest of the staff, performers, and patrons, but the issues need to be addressed and this is the most logical way to go about that.

Comment

"Justice" is swift in the age of social media. Hope this gets sorted for all parties, in particular the artists who need stages to play.

The few times I've been to The Needle my impression is a good portion of the crowd is not a regular, live-music-going group. Here's hoping folk seek out live music elsewhere at alternate downtown venues.

Comment

While I hold very little sympathy for the ownership group of The Needle (they apparently ignored Brittany's pleas for help), I too am uncomfortable with the way this played out on social media. A lot of assumptions are being made and potentially innocent people are having their reputations damaged, perhaps irreparably. This is vigilantism on steroids...

That being said, it was somewhat inevitable that it would happen this way, since she was the social media manager for The Needle. If someone feels like they are given no recourse, they will use whatever tools are immediately available to defend themselves. By far the most potent weapon available to Brittany was social media. The owners really should have seen that one coming.

Comment

The court of public opinion is ruthless and swift. Maybe we'll some good come from this by way of people being less shite to each other.
                        "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

She seemed very careful not to name names though. The only reputations that are being damaged are the ones of those who already had a reputation to begin with. Well them and the person who came forward, whose character is now being assassinated online for nothing more than being a victim and coming forward with it (which, if I'm not mistaken, is a good thing).

The owner who went on TV this morning and who issued an apology on behalf of the club basically shot himself in the foot with his words.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex.L View Post
                            She seemed very careful not to name names though. The only reputations that are being damaged are the ones of those who already had a reputation to begin with. Well them and the person who came forward, whose character is now being assassinated online for nothing more than being a victim and coming forward with it (which, if I'm not mistaken, is a good thing).

The owner who went on TV this morning and who issued an apology on behalf of the club basically shot himself in the foot with his words.
                            The initial statement by the victim is one thing, where it is very good that she came forward with her claims. It takes a lot of courage for her to stand up and refuse to bow to those in positions of power over her.

The fact that those claims were made on social media, however, allows them to morph based on the vagaries of those who distort the message while amplifying it. The story takes on a life of its own. That is what concerns me... Not sure what could have been done differently though. This is the age we now live in, where accusations can lead to a guilty verdict within minutes, without due process... scary times...

Comment

^^Alex.L, curious as to whether you've ever worked in a supervisory position?

It's not only about saying things in a way that is not defamatory to personal reputations, it's also about the reputational damage to the organization you believe is in the wrong.

I always advise those seeking future employment that while seeking redress through the news media (or these days on social media) can feel gratifying in the short-term, beware of the longer-term damage to your own reputation. When hiring a prospective employee, googling applicants is standard procedure. Nothing raises red flags more than employees who have gone public with disputes with former employers. Frankly supervisors don't have time to try to figure out who was in the right and who was in the wrong in these disputes.

Comment

Working...
                              X