Mudflap enforcement, or lack thereof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mudflap enforcement, or lack thereof

Like many other things that get ignored by the police, not having mudflaps on a truck (aka mud guards) is illegal in Alberta. One more thing that makes me wonder what the Edmonton Police do, and where all the millions of dollars of photo radar money (that is supposed to go towards traffic safety) goes.

Article 64 of the Alberta Traffic Safety Act;

Mudguards

(1)
    A motor vehicle or trailer must have a part of its body, a fender or a mudguard that covers the width of each tire.

(2)
    The body part, fender or mudguard referred to in subsection (1) must be above each wheel and
    (a) extend downwards at the rear of each axle or axle group to at least the centre line of the axle, or
    (b) be a distance away from the ground equivalent to at least 1/3 of the horizontal distance from the bottom edge of the mudguard to the centre line of the axle, but not closer to the ground than 150 millimetres when the vehicle is loaded.

(3)
    In addition to the requirements of subsection (1), the following types of vehicle must be equipped with rear wheel splash and stone-throw protection that complies with SAE Standard J682:
    (a) a commercial vehicle or combination of commercial vehicles that is registered for a gross weight of more than, or that weighs more than, 4500 kilograms and that is not a bus;
    (b) a bus;
    (c) a trailer.

(4)
    A passenger car is not required to have a mudguard.

(5)
    This section does not apply to a trailer designed and constructed for drive-on and drive-off low loads.
    Note number 4 above, which some argue excludes trucks, is defined as:

(n) “passenger car” means a passenger car as defined in the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada);
    The Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations defines "passenger car" as;

passenger car means a vehicle having a designated seating capacity of 10 or less, but does not include an all-terrain vehicle, a competition vehicle, a low-speed vehicle, a multi-purpose passenger vehicle, an antique reproduction vehicle, a motorcycle, a truck, a trailer, a vehicle imported temporarily for special purposes or a three-wheeled vehicle; (voiture de tourisme)
    It also has a separate definition for "truck tractor" aka tractor trailer/transport truck. So, Article 64 means, pickup trucks are required to have mudflaps.

Now that this is out of the way... Spring time is coming sooner than later it seems, and the rocks are already starting to fly towards windshields. Last year I had several chips and a large crack, followed by full windshield replacement on my new truck that wasn't even a year old. Not even a week after the new replacement I had another chip. All of these were from pickup trucks without mudflaps. They're not expensive, and if you can afford a pickup truck, you should be able to afford flaps...

Unfortunately, I think the fine for this is only $57, so it's probably not "worth it" for the police to "waste their time" for this. After all, it seems to be all about making money, and not safety, or something as simple as enforcing mudflaps to keep everyone else from having to pay for it with windshield repairs. Perhaps this fine should be raised, not only because it will make people think twice about it, but maybe it'll make the police think it's worth it to give people tickets for it. Personally, I have windshield insurance, so chip repairs are free, and a new windshield is $100, but it's still a pain to have to go get these repairs done when it could be easily avoided.

I've only seen a few articles about people actually getting pulled over for it, but only ever from the RCMP. Edmonton Police could care less it seems.

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/mudflap-fa...-lot-1.1886573

http://globalnews.ca/news/274479/no-...ould-cost-you/

I'd love to see some enforcement. The dollars lost to broken windshields and higher spending on washer fluid might have a beneficial payoff. (Windshields are an imported item so that means a lot of our money is being exported to pay for them).

What irritates me is that I can't even get a VW mudflap for my wife's SUV. So in the spring I plan to fit some flat ones to it. They'll reduce grime on the side of the vehicle as well.

My Subaru has great OEM mudflaps. Big but they look ok.

Comment

Just one of the many infractions that police seem to overlook on the 'Berta jacked up truck dbag crowd.

No mudflaps.
      Tires extending past wheel wells
      Headlights over 1.2m above the ground

Comment

Originally posted by KC View Post
        I'd love to see some enforcement. The dollars lost to broken windshields and higher spending on washer fluid might have a beneficial payoff. (Windshields are an imported item so that means a lot of our money is being exported to pay for them).

What irritates me is that I can't even get a VW mudflap for my wife's SUV. So in the spring I plan to fit some flat ones to it. They'll reduce grime on the side of the vehicle as well.

My Subaru has great OEM mudflaps. Big but they look ok.
        Yes! I like the subi flaps, it's one of their signature looks. Other than grime, they also help keep your front tires from throwing rocks at the doors and rocker panels.

Originally posted by nobleea View Post
        Just one of the many infractions that police seem to overlook on the 'Berta jacked up truck dbag crowd.

No mudflaps.
        Tires extending past wheel wells
        Headlights over 1.2m above the ground
        Yep. My last vehicle had a slight lift (2") because I ACTUALLY went offroad, but tires stayed in the wheel wells and I got longer mudflaps. The dbags you speak of never take their trucks off of the pavement and will purposely remove their mudflaps, and put in spacers to push the wheels out. The headlights over 1.2 meters thing I think is hard to do, because some vehicles even come at that height or higher, but they should be aimed properly, and those drivers should also make sure they're not too close behind someone and shining their lights in someone's rearview mirror. But, these dbags also have the cheap chinese HID/LED lights in reflector housings (which you shouldn't do) which scatters light everywhere and blinds everyone, but that's a whole other rant...

Comment

But they'll get you if you tint your windows. The selective enforcement of the vehicle equipment regulations is ridiculous.

Comment

Alkeli , phone 311 and email your city Councilor that some of that traffic enforcement revenue safety money reserve you mentioned on the other thread should go to this. There's probably enough in the kitty to add it to the parking ticket officers books, and perhaps get and additional by-law constable or two some overtime to pull people over for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ustauk View Post
              Alkeli , phone 311 and email your city Councilor that some of that traffic enforcement revenue safety money reserve you mentioned on the other thread should go to this. There's probably enough in the kitty to add it to the parking ticket officers books, and perhaps get and additional by-law constable or two some overtime to pull people over for them.
              Haha, yeah don't get me started on that in this thread as well... Hell, I'd be happy if more of the money went to putting more cops on the streets instead of going somewhere nobody knows. I even called EPS about a drunk driver, after over an hour of waiting, the person left again in their car and no cops showed up...

Comment

I should imagine the very parking ticket officers who is assigned to handing out tickets for mud flap infraction more than likely does not have any on his vehicle. Like most of the population of Alberta do not have mud flaps/splash guards on their vehicles. It is not something on most peoples radars.
                Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

Don't expect anything here. If it can't be enforced by contractors parked on the side of the road eating donuts and lauded as a magical panacea to traffic accidents, it won't be.
                  "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

Driving down 97th Street yesterday I had to put my windshield wipers on about every couple of blocks. It did not bother me half as much as the person in front having one of those covers over their licence plate to stop the plate being photographed by a photo radar flash. If the traffic enforcement don't bother going after plate scofflaws I doubt very much they would go after the 90 % of vehicles that don't have flaps.
                    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

It also doesn't help that the city uses rocks instead of proper sand.

Comment

Case in point/speak of the devil. I was on the Henday this morning at 6AM, hardly any other cars at all. A jacked up picked truck blew by me probably doing 130 in the fog and smack. I now have another huge crack going across my windshield again! My truck is a 2015 and this will now be my 2nd windshield replacement! On top of the 7-8 chip repairs I've done. This is just getting stupid now...

Comment

I picked up another rock chip this weekend from a horse trailer just outside of Calgary. Second chip in as many trips to/from Calgary. It's way off to the side though so I'm gonna let it slide a bit longer. Windshield replacements for my car are almost a grand as there's no aftermarket replacements that'll work.
                          Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

If its just a chip, get it repaired. Even long cracks can be fixed now.
                            A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

The second one is like the first one that my glass guy said wasn't worth fixing & nowhere near as bad as the one I did get fixed that's actually in my FOV. I was intending on replacing my windshield this summer anyways so I will keep the repair money in the replacement kitty.
                              Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

Working...
                              X