Modern day aggression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern day aggression

I don't know if it's just me but it seems in the last 10 years especially that people have generally become a lot more aggressive in nature. I mean, Road Rage has become a fact of life but 20 - 30 years was a rather rare occurrence. What gives? Is it because of "smart phones"? Is it the internet in general? Is it the sense of entitlement that people seem to have these days? Is it the lack of personal responsibility and how it's always someone else's fault?

We've all seen it on the roads, in public and pretty much everywhere. Is it true the more "connected" we become the less connected as people we are?

Video captures brawl in Costco parking lot

Video of a disagreement over a parking spot that led to a brawl outside a Costco this past weekend in Mississauga, Ont., has prompted an investigation by Peel Regional Police.

Joe Carreiro was walking back to his car, arms filled with bulk purchases, when he was stopped, quite literally, in his tracks.

His car was blocked in, and a screaming match over a parking space was escalating. Over the next few minutes he watched — and then started filming — as the conflict seemed to dissipate and then picked up again, eventually coming to blows.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...auga-1.3607965
    Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

It's really hard to say if people are becoming more aggressive or is it because there are more types of recording devices about to catch people in acts of aggression. Or you could reverse that and ask if people are less aggressive because they could be filmed. Unfortunately scenes like that probably get played out every day in some form or other and youtube has plenty to watch. I also think there are an element of people that every minor thing is a reason to btich or sue, get their 15 minutes of fame by beaking off about nothing and think everybody on the internet should see it.
    Actually the very clip you showed is going to be on CTV National News just after the ads finish.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

We're not connected in face to face as much anymore and whether it be school, work, parties, clubs, anything people buried in electronic devices and impersonal interaction online which is a poor substitute for human interaction and caring.

Combine this with an erosion in values, mores, morality and supplant it with me first consumerism and life is a race and competition instead of being a more communal experience.

Others have theorized that a lack of real challenges, enemies, hardship has resulted in people unconsciously not knowing the difference. So that anybody driving down a road is a potential enemy on the basis of one short action. Its as if people are hardwired to have some enemies, struggle, aggression, and will find it randomly if it isn't inherently available.

People were commenting on the Ft McMurray fires bringing some brief return of civility here and in communities. That will likely be shortlived. Seems to take tragedy now to have any outpouring of civility.

AT least we haven't ever experienced anything like some of the worst US cities where violence starts to spread like viral contagion during riots, rebellions etc.

But if we keep following the US example, mercenary goals, interests, consumerism, uncaring society then that too will eventually come.
      "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Now the funny reply.

I looked at the picture in the link and thought Vickers was losing his Knickers again.
        "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

I think the proliferation of recording devices has just shown more of what's going on.

No possible way that a fight in a Missisauga parking lot was going to be in the Journal in 1956. Maybe if it had a political tone or whatever.

Our perception of these events is rising but I doubt very much the events are, at least per capita.
          Let's make Edmonton better.

Comment

Originally posted by JayBee View Post
            I think the proliferation of recording devices has just shown more of what's going on.

No possible way that a fight in a Missisauga parking lot was going to be in the Journal in 1956. Maybe if it had a political tone or whatever.

Our perception of these events is rising but I doubt very much the events are, at least per capita.
            Absolutely agreed with this. First thing I thought today is before online I wouldn't be reading about a boy allowed to get in a Gorilla enclosure in Cincinatti and about this incident in Ontario.

That said road rage does seem to be more common, and more pronounced these days. Antisocial behavior is becoming more common. Social media would have to share in some of that blame as it sets a new mode in interaction.

A cartoon in the Journal suggested a renaming of the internet. "World Wide Junior high"

Comment

I think there is a new fashion of rudeness, but not a larger amount. In some ways far less. Just think of a single woman walking past a construction site in 1975 (or earlier.)
              Let's make Edmonton better.

Comment

Hello!

Sorry for jumping in but actually I'm not replying to this post but as a new comer into the forum, I just want to say hello to you old folks.

Thanks
                http://servicingstopblog.co.uk/

Comment

The other day I met a vehicle turning right. I noticed their signal light a ways away. I was turning left into the same roadway. I thought there was a little turning lane with a yield sign for them on that corner so I went ahead and turned. Turns out I was wrong. Now this was not even a close call or anything, I had time. Turns out this was one angry lady. She blasted and blasted her horn behind me. She then followed right on my bumper for a kilometer or so like she was going to ram me. I took the exit onto the Henday and she stormed beside me giving me the finger and hard. Made me think for awhile, scared me a little. I think if she would have had a handgun under the seat I would have been a dead man.
                  Just enjoying another day in paradise.

Comment

^Thank goodness we don't have the same kind of gun problem as the US does

Comment

Drumbones post just made me realize too that women have become much more aggressive, especially on the roads. A lot of times it's not just men doing 30 - 40 km/h faster than speedlimit on Hwy 2, I noticed most of the people passing me (I was doing 120) were women. Kind of surprised me. Now, not that this is absolute aggression, I mean they're just speeding but can easily lead to hostilities if you don't move to the right for them (I spent some time in the left lane as I was in fact going faster than 50% of traffic).

I agree with the media effect, absolutely. However there's something else at play here. It's a different dynamic these last 10 years or so and I can't quite put my finger on it. It's almost like we're becoming a very stressed out society and it's showing in public.
                      Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

Comment

I can't imagine anything like this would have happened in the 1950s. 1970s, 80s and on, yes. Recirdong devices are bringing a lot f things to light.

Video: Woman harassed 108 times as she walks around New York - The Washington Post
                        https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ound-new-york/

Comment

Originally posted by Kitlope View Post
                          Drumbones post just made me realize too that women have become much more aggressive, especially on the roads. A lot of times it's not just men doing 30 - 40 km/h faster than speedlimit on Hwy 2, I noticed most of the people passing me (I was doing 120) were women. Kind of surprised me. Now, not that this is absolute aggression, I mean they're just speeding but can easily lead to hostilities if you don't move to the right for them (I spent some time in the left lane as I was in fact going faster than 50% of traffic).

I agree with the media effect, absolutely. However there's something else at play here. It's a different dynamic these last 10 years or so and I can't quite put my finger on it. It's almost like we're becoming a very stressed out society and it's showing in public.
                          Recently saw a younger woman in a pickup honking and driving very aggressively in a St Albert downtown parking lot. She was visibly hostile towards a driver in front causing a minor delay. In decades of driving that set a new low for just driving through a parking lot. Maybe nothing new but just me finally being in the wrong place but not the wrong time.
                          Last edited by KC; 31-05-2016, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KC View Post
                            Recently saw a younger woman in a pickup honking and driving very aggressively in a St Albert downtown parking lot. She was visibly hostile towards a driver in front causing a minor delay. In decades of driving that set a new low for just driving through a parking lot. Maybe nothing new but just me finally being in the wrong place but not the wrong time.

Oxymoronski alert.

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroB View Post
                              Hello!

Sorry for jumping in but actually I'm not replying to this post but as a new comer into the forum, I just want to say hello to you old folks.

Thanks
                              Hello MaestroB, I am replying to your post and not as an 'old folk'. Calling us old is like saying all Brits have bad teeth.

Thanks.
                              Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

Working...
                              X