No announcement yet.

Modern day aggression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think being carless possibly has insulated me from some of what you guys feel, but I do remember similar incidents riding around in cars back in the day, too. Not sure if time has made us forget, or if it's just more cars on the roads now.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Comment

Originally posted by Kitlope View Post
      Drumbones post just made me realize too that women have become much more aggressive, especially on the roads. A lot of times it's not just men doing 30 - 40 km/h faster than speedlimit on Hwy 2, I noticed most of the people passing me (I was doing 120) were women. Kind of surprised me. Now, not that this is absolute aggression, I mean they're just speeding but can easily lead to hostilities if you don't move to the right for them (I spent some time in the left lane as I was in fact going faster than 50% of traffic).

I agree with the media effect, absolutely. However there's something else at play here. It's a different dynamic these last 10 years or so and I can't quite put my finger on it. It's almost like we're becoming a very stressed out society and it's showing in public.
      Have to agree that some women are just as aggressive as men when driving. I've had more than one women overpass me on the right on main residential roads and that's when I was doing the required 50. I've also seen a couple of women school bus drivers being more than assertive while cutting in line. It's not like these women are teenager, some of them are in their 30's and 40s and old enough to know better.
      Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

Originally posted by Kitlope View Post
        Drumbones post just made me realize too that women have become much more aggressive, especially on the roads. A lot of times it's not just men doing 30 - 40 km/h faster than speedlimit on Hwy 2, I noticed most of the people passing me (I was doing 120) were women. Kind of surprised me. Now, not that this is absolute aggression, I mean they're just speeding but can easily lead to hostilities if you don't move to the right for them (I spent some time in the left lane as I was in fact going faster than 50% of traffic).

I agree with the media effect, absolutely. However there's something else at play here. It's a different dynamic these last 10 years or so and I can't quite put my finger on it. It's almost like we're becoming a very stressed out society and it's showing in public.
        Not wanting to have this misperceived as generalization or then we'll possibly see instances of modern day aggression.. but the two woman in the exchange are notably very aggressive in pursuing the tragi-drama and with both coming off as out of control bullies. Both appear to be resistant to attempts to calm them and want instead to fly off the handle situation regardless.

Also some interesting things of note that suggest how warped bystander recount of details can be. Towards the end of the video you see the smaller man being attended to, patched up, and even a verbal suggestion of pressing charges. When in fact the video reveals the smaller man clearly pursuing the physical aggression, first throwing the woman down and then coming right at the husband who backed away and to his credit wasn't trying to start something but finally delivered some head shots to back the guy off. yet the bystanders are acting like the small man (clear instigator) was the victim.
        This is a message for third party actions which sometimes make the situation worse but hopefully didn't in this instance. I thought the bystanders did a good job from what I could see. Other than misinterpreting some fault.

For the most part the exchange seemed to be between the older mans hostile wife, and the smaller man.
        "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

^One of the things the guy who filmed this did say was there was a kerfuffle then it died down a bit then it re-escalated and that is when he started to film it. Maybe the first kerfuffle was instigated by the older couple. Without the full account what we seen may have been the product of something previous. All round not a good scene though.

Comment

Another comment. TV, internet, is filled with programs, sites, where reality programming and getting into it with each other is actually the programming. The odd time between surfing that I see any of these shows it seems that theres bonus pts for being catty, verbally aggressive, for put downs, ridicule, and any backstabbing antisocial behavior imaginable. Seems our society for decades has been fixated on a Jerry Springer type programming wave. Really how many hours can kids, *adults* be standing transfixed with such modeling before it impacts behavior in some ways.

What this nature of media tells people is that they should be up in someones face going gansta, calling biatch etc. a non stop fixation with viewing aholes is going to translate into behavior at some point. Are we seeing the result of decades of that nature of programming which has become the new age socialization?

http://healthland.time.com/2011/10/1...es-teen-girls/

If kids are susceptible to "tabula rasa" and this is the writing society is offering then where are we headed?
            Last edited by Replacement; 31-05-2016, 10:43 AM.
            "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
              ^One of the things the guy who filmed this did say was there was a kerfuffle then it died down a bit then it re-escalated and that is when he started to film it. Maybe the first kerfuffle was instigated by the older couple. Without the full account what we seen may have been the product of something previous. All round not a good scene though.
              Yep. For sure. we didn't have the prior on the film and I noted that unfortunately something was lost in the break in filming. However, the Older women, and smaller man were consistently aggressive and exhibiting that the entire time the camera was rolling.
              The small man was stalking around like he thought he was Mike Tyson or something. You could see the older man trying to disengage and trying to get his wife away.

The sad thing that hasn't been mentioned is the kid crying in the car who says "daddy" I believe she is the child of the smaller man watching all this transpire. The sadder thing is the realization that rabid people like this are your parent(s). An apparent bystander (or maybe friend or sister) is consoling the child while daddy is cooling down. Actually daddy seems a child as well.

Comment

People have to monitor their own TV watching. There are plenty good people in the world but it seems the bad and the ugly get more press time. Good news usually does not sell as well as sensationalism and violence.

Comment

Originally posted by Replacement View Post
                  Yep. For sure. we didn't have the prior on the film and I noted that unfortunately something was lost in the break in filming. However, the Older women, and smaller man were consistently aggressive and exhibiting that the entire time the camera was rolling.
                  The small man was stalking around like he thought he was Mike Tyson or something. You could see the older man trying to disengage and trying to get his wife away.

The sad thing that hasn't been mentioned is the kid crying in the car who says "daddy" I believe she is the child of the smaller man watching all this transpire. The sadder thing is the realization that rabid people like this are your parent(s). An apparent bystander (or maybe friend or sister) is consoling the child while daddy is cooling down. Actually daddy seems a child as well.
                  Well apparently the Peel Police are going to look into it. Thing is this could have all played out without some one film it and the only people who knew about it were the ones actually there. I should imagine at Xmas when parking lots are full this is a common scenario.

Comment

People have to monitor their own TV watching. There are plenty good people in the world but it seems the bad and the ugly get more press time. Good news usually does not sell as well as sensationalism and violence.
                    Estimates are that kids spend almost as much time watching reality TV or internet and being exposed to these behaviors as their parents spend working.

https://opportunityagenda.org/negati..._teenage_girls

The electronic babysitter is real and pervasive. With tech gadgets now kids are not turning off. They're immersed in catty world any chance they get.

Also the previous link suggested a major difference in values, beliefs, between girls that did, and didn't watch extensive reality programming.

The funny thing is as adults I think we all realized what garbage this programming is, but we somehow accepted it, and that it was going to be there. The irony being there are broadcast standards for all sorts of things, and things that are argubably less troubling, but we allow nonstop bombardment of young kids minds watching mindless reality conflict.

Comment

Top_Dawg watched this incident when it got posted on the Toronto Star site yesterday.

His head almost exploded from the shrill screaming voices of these magpies.

Almost worth it for that reason alone to see that one warthog get sent sprawling.

Walmart at its finest.

Comment

Very colorful observation Dawg but is it necessary to call the women warthogs and magpies?.

Comment

It appears the old guy had a small weapon, that he is trying to stab the smaller guys with. Near the end he appears to clean it and put it in his pocket. Hard to make a self defense claim or a defending your wife claim when you have a weapon in hand.

Comment

^^

Well Madame Bovary they are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Top_Dawg View Post
                              Top_Dawg watched this incident when it got posted on the Toronto Star site yesterday.

His head almost exploded from the shrill screaming voices of these magpies.

Almost worth it for that reason alone to see that one warthog get sent sprawling.

Walmart at its finest.
                              That was some terrible magpie squawking for sure.

Comment

It's interesting how bystanders act. There's a women in a blue stripped dress hovering around, she seems to be trying to settle the situation. The guy she is with is just calmly putting his stuff in the back of his vehicle and looking up now and again. She goes to help the guy with the groceries then later the same women has ingrained herself back into the picture and the guy is still acting like nothing is happening. It would be hilarious if he drove off without her.
                                Not sure if the elderly guy had something in his hand but it looked like he did. Could have been his Costco Card. Exhibit A, one Costco Card used as weapon.

Comment

Working...
                                X