Enough of these 'I'm Offended, It's not Politically Correct' people already

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enough of these 'I'm Offended, It's not Politically Correct' people already

U of O students' decision to cancel yoga class sparks Internet backlash.

A mind-bending act of political correctness by student leaders at the University of Ottawa has sparked an international backlash on social media.
    Student leaders at the university halted free yoga classes earlier this fall because of concerns that its practice was not sufficiently sensitive to yoga’s cultural roots.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...232/story.html

Geez, it seems more and more people are getting offended over sweet F A. When is this going to stop. Have we totally lost all sense of reason/humour/understanding. It seems no matter what anyone does or says there is someone out there that is going to question it because they got offended over such a minor detail. Yoga not sufficiently sensitive to yoga's cultural roots. Good Gawd, you cannot make this stuff up.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

I guess we have to call the class by another name and say we are using some things that are similar to yoga in it to be politically correct.
    Just enjoying another day in paradise.

Comment

Lol, I blame Lulu Lemon Yoga pants for the whole Yoga fad of the last few years. Waiting for Pilates or something else to come back now, hard to compete with those pants though... It's lucky the Beatles are long gone, they'd have to start burning their albums too at universities, given how they went through that mediation phase thing as well...

Comment

This saddens me. It has become a social compulsion to rail against microaggressions and crusade against perceived slights. Like somehow it is a badge of personal honour to be intolerant of minor injustices.

Social media really has contributed to a culture of soapboxing.
        Imagine: a world free of hypothetical situations!

Comment

It seems some people bleat about the most trivial of things. Maybe it is social median that is fueling this nonsense. Twitter something remotely questionable and it's flashes around the world in no time. Maybe it's people that have had over protective parents and have not developed a back bone. Maybe they want their 15 minutes of fame. It's tiring to hear these people with rods so far up their rears there eyes pop. Then there are the people who get offended for other people. As if they do not have enough to do in their day they take up the cause of someone else's perceived slights.

Comment

The internet in general has fueled this big time. Looking for something that offends many has become status quo. And in the meantime, we become a little more dumb.

Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

Comment

I would extend this to the American conservatives who believe that Starbucks is waging a war on Christmas...
              “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Comment

Every year young adults try to find something to protest and all they find are petty issues because all the major battles have been fought. Every year the issues become more and more petty.

Geez kids, go out and have fun! Stop whining about the little things.
                Edmonton first, everything else second.

Comment

Wrong. Society is not nearly politically correct enough. As long as the whining of the uneducated and the ignorant is allowed to continue, much work remains to be done.

What barbarians -- or petulant children -- howl is political correctness is in truth no more and no less than manners and basic human decency.
                  Last edited by AShetsen; 22-11-2015, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Well, this is it. Sometimes a simple thing as manners and decency get's twisted in to a SJW issue.
                    One big story this year was the niqab swearing in issue. To me it was a matter of manners. Don't care if the broad wears her niqab in the shower but take it off at a Canadian ceremony. Canada, you know, your host country. But oh no, have to cause a scene, make it all about me and my fashion choice.
                    I think half the time these SJW who twitter just want to boost their following no matter how minuete the issue is. Probably some are offended right now if they are reading.
                    Last edited by Gemini; 22-11-2015, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                      Well, this is it. Sometimes a simple thing as manners and decency get's twisted in to a SJW issue.
                      One big story this year was the niqab swearing in issue. To me it was a matter of manners. Don't care if the broad wears her niqab in the shower but take it off at a Canadian ceremony. Canada, you know, your host country. But oh no, have to cause a scene, make it all about me and my fashion choice.
                      I think half the time these SJW who twitter just want to boost their following no matter how minuete the issue is. Probably some are offended right now if they are reading.
                      As a Canadian, I'm offended that you're offended, because Canadians don't get offended. Or, are you not offended that they are offended but want them to stop being offended before you get offended?

Comment

^How dare you.........................

Comment

Originally posted by reservoircat View Post
                          This saddens me. It has become a social compulsion to rail against microaggressions and crusade against perceived slights. Like somehow it is a badge of personal honour to be intolerant of minor injustices.

Social media really has contributed to a culture of soapboxing.
                          In short everybody got far more opinionated through the medium. It impacts us all as its a mode of expressing any and all opinions on literally anything.

We've become a society obsessed with banality.

Now everything is speakers corner on the intersection of trivial avenue and obscure street.
                          "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Originally posted by JamesL View Post
                            I would extend this to the American conservatives who believe that Starbucks is waging a war on Christmas...
                            Boot Saint Nick

Comment

From what little I know of Yoga and yoga, no, they're no more similar than, say, Christianity and aerobics. Or Conservativism and that garbage Calgary harper **** and lies.

Fair to say the name has wrongly been co opted.
                              Let's make Edmonton better.

Comment

Working...
                              X