No announcement yet.

Mall Cop Racisim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did mall security single him out, or did some store staff call security on him?

Because if mall employees called security on him, it's a bit tougher to blame security for this.

The mall is doing everything they can to stay hushed because there is a very good chance they will be sued and will have to defend themselves.

Comment

• In order to be banned from a place, would you not have to instigate yourself somehow? The mall had no proof but banned him. The young man and his lawyer requested a video within the time frame of the incident and it was denied. Someone is hiding something and I don't think it is the young native gentleman.
      " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Comment

• There are very good security guards and I think that these are in the majority. These people understand that respect earns respect.

But the fact is that the barrier to entry in this occupation is not high. So there are some who join because they imagine that this is a job where they get to "lay down the law" and often they have very little idea of what that law actually is. I've known a couple personally.

That they latched onto the fellow does not surprise me and could have been a result of a clueless sales clerk. Or it could have been some inadvertent signals from the young man. We can't know and we probably will never know.

If they laid on a "year long ban", that is a different matter. They need some grounds for that. And I believe that a certain type of guard who is feeling his oats would say something just like that. In the same way, as in one other case currently in the news, they will claim they can use whatever force they think they need. They're wrong there too. The boundary between restraint and assault is narrower for them than it is for a police officer.

Comment

• Totally agree Eve.

Comment

• Originally posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
            In order to be banned from a place, would you not have to instigate yourself somehow? The mall had no proof but banned him. The young man and his lawyer requested a video within the time frame of the incident and it was denied. Someone is hiding something and I don't think it is the young native gentleman.
            Contrary to many people's understanding, malls, shopping centers and stores are private, not public places. They can ban anyone and even press charges for trespassing.

This does not mean that I agree with how this was handled.
            Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

• Originally posted by jagators63 View Post
              Radical Profiling should be banned anywhere in Canada.
              Sure, but racial profiling is hard to prove in a legal setting unless a pattern is established.

Comment

• Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
                Originally posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
                In order to be banned from a place, would you not have to instigate yourself somehow? The mall had no proof but banned him. The young man and his lawyer requested a video within the time frame of the incident and it was denied. Someone is hiding something and I don't think it is the young native gentleman.
                Contrary to many people's understanding, malls, shopping centers and stores are private, not public places. They can ban anyone and even press charges for trespassing.

This does not mean that I agree with how this was handled.

As a coloured person, I'm vulnerable to this type of ignorance, and I have experience racism in my youth. I now have a choice, and it's to stand up to this type of behavior. I have now decided I will longer shop at any retails that is located in an Oxford mall regardless which ever city I'm at.

Comment

• Maybe let Oxford know about your boycott and why
                  “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

• I do plan on taking that course of action, and thank you for that encouragement!

Comment

• How much training does security get? I think there needs to be a consistent protocol followed.
                      "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

• To my understanding, there is a security school/course; please correct me if I'm wrong. A good security is based on a good person. If one values some sense of moral and right from wrong with fairness, the Oxfordazi mentality should not occur plain and simple.

Comment

• ^ya I think the GoA introduced a "Security Act" about 5 years ago. All security guards have to take a training course afaik.

Comment

• Now you mentioned that, was that not implemented after an incident at some bar? I can't remember if a death occurred or something tragic which made that law in affect?

Comment

• It's a 40 hour course that seems to be able to be taken either online or in a classroom. There's an exam.

It is a barrier to entry, but not a huge one.

Comment

• Guard charged, accused of racial profiling after pepper-spraying Edmonton customer

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Working...
                                X