Behaviour of Cops in Edmonton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Behaviour of Cops in Edmonton

I'm curious how other people rate the behaviour and professionalism of EPS officers. First off, let me say though that I completely respect the tough job cops have, and that I certainly wouldn't like to deal with a lot of the things they have to.

None the less, I've never been all too impressed with the behaviour of police officers in our city. Yesterday I was pulled over for a burnt out brake light on my car. (I didn't actually realize they still pulled people over for that, considering how many burnt out bulbs I see around the city - but there you go). It was one of the dual-filament bulbs, so the tail light was still working and I didn't noticed the brake light was gone. I'm rather fastidious about my car, so I was genuinely quite grateful that he let me know (I thanked him and told him I would fix it right away). And yet, he went on for a good 5 min about how I was a "danger on the road" and how I have to respect the rules and be more responsible, etc, etc. Just being a jerk for no real reason.

I've (fortunately) never had any real run-ins with the law, but all my experiences with EPS at checkstops and on their patrols around Whyte have been quite poor. They've always been rude to me and other people, and just bullies overall.

I've experienced numerous checkstops in Vancouver and the cops were always very friendly and pleasant. I was once pulled over in Calgary by a cop who thought my car was stolen, and even he was more pleasant then any police officer I've dealt with in Edmonton . I'm curious if I have just had bad luck, or if other people have thought this way about EPS. I have heard there's a lot of internal problems among the force, so I thought this might be symptomatic of that in some way.
    Last edited by halocore; 08-07-2012, 04:07 AM.

As you mentioned , you had experienced numerous check stops in BC . These are typically funded by the Govt owned auto insurance company paying overtime rates to the police officers. This no doubt has some impact on the prevailing attitude. Also, these check stops are more frequent and the public is somewhat more used to them and probably have less of an Attitude than an alberta driver who feels more imposed upon. No doubt general attitudes get reflected back.

Comment

Happily car-free in central Edmonton so cannot comment on checkstops. However, my experiences with the EPS in general have been quite pleasant. I've needed to call the EPS while reporting criminal/suspicious activity and they have been always courteous and respectful. The 9-1-1 service is really really good.
      On the flip side if you call them to report disturbances of non-emergency nature, some times you never see any follow-up action (especially if it deals with homeless bums causing noise...... I guess the EPs just avoids dealing with them).

Comment

Nothing but professionalism and courtesy anytime I have had dealings with EPS members.

Lets please keep in mind the types of people they typically are dealing with. Drunks, intoxicated persons high on crack, meth or whatever other substance they decided to ingest.

Lets not forget the blue collar, red neck, unemployed, belligerent nature of several people in this city who are the frequent flyers with the EPS. Persons who have always hated police and authority, whether you are a cop or a teacher, those who would rather spit in your face or through feces from a cell door at a police officer, thus who would try to assault you or a cop to get away at all costs.

Im not saying this is everyone that is dealt with by police but I would suggest those who have a complaint about police ought to think or put into perspective what that member may have dealt with in the last hour, day or week of their job. Being assaulted, observing unimaginable occurrences against persons/children, deaths from homicide or traffic collisions all come to mind as life altering events that may effect that member for days, weeks, years to come.

Now I know there are those who are going to say "they can get help" or " those members shouldnt be on duty" follwing a tramatic incident. Well, I would retort this by saying that if the EPS took every operation member who experienced a traumatic incident off the street for even a week or 2after the incident, you would end up with sky high OT bills to the taxpayer and still not be able to fully staff a metro area of 1 million......

Just a couple of thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by Cal76 View Post
          Happily car-free in central Edmonton so cannot comment on checkstops. However, my experiences with the EPS in general have been quite pleasant. I've needed to call the EPS while reporting criminal/suspicious activity and they have been always courteous and respectful. The 9-1-1 service is really really good.
          On the flip side if you call them to report disturbances of non-emergency nature, some times you never see any follow-up action (especially if it deals with homeless bums causing noise...... I guess the EPs just avoids dealing with them).
          I wouldn't say EPS avoids those kinds of calls but I would suggest that maybe not a lot can be done to fix that kind of problem? What can the cops really do to keep homeless people quiet? Give them noise bylaw tickets? Something tells me tickets wouldn't be much of a deterent for homeless people...

Just a thought

Comment

Speaking for myself only I have to say quite poor. I have been pulled over and forced to identify myself many times in my own neighborhood for I can only assume my appearance and age. On these occasions I have been treated as if I was a guilty of a crime. Harassed, talked down to and belittled.

If I am to share other stories, of harrasment, dentainments, beatings of people I know, many will say the stories are being made up, or embelished. There are others who say those "punks" that I know finally "got what they deserved". I dunno.

In my opinion, poor.

Cops is a job like a teacher, or a lawyer or a judge. You really should only enter that field if you of perfect moral character. Not just as a "job"
            youtube.com/BrothersGrim
            facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Comment

Professional, considerate and generally friendly.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Interesting. I was talking to my GF about this the other day and she happens to live in Calgary. I had just read the story about the cop who'd squeezed four (or five) rounds into a fleeing perp. (The one where the police dog was stabbled.) Even though in that case, I thought the cop may have been right, coming from Toronto, I read a LOT more in Edmonton about rogue cops and the department is a fifth the size of Toronto's. There seem to be far more incidents here. I asked her if that was the case with Calgary police; are there a lot of incidents with cop misconduct that hit the media? She didn't seem to think so and said that the Calgary police are pretty highly thought of.

I don't think it's a coincidence that EPS changed their chief last year and I have heard stories of morale problems with the department. I'm pretty sure that Rod Knecht is an agent of change for the force and the city is looking for a much different style of leadership than Mike Boyd provided.
                Last edited by PJC; 09-07-2012, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PJC
                  I read a LOT more in Edmonton about rogue cops and the department is a fifth the size of Toronto's. There seem to be far more incidents here.
                  Perception isn't necessarily reality. Toronto has had some of the worst cases of police corruption in Canada, like this one: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/arti...ice-drug-squad

Comment

I have had a rainbow of interactions. Most often professional, usually not that courteous but business like, and sometimes rather intimidating.

Comment

Originally posted by PJC View Post
                      Interesting. I was talking to my GF about this the other day and she happens to live in Calgary. I had just read the story about the cop who'd squeezed four (or five) rounds into a fleeing perp. (The one where the police dog was stabbled.) Even though in that case, I thought the cop may have been right, coming from Toronto, I read a LOT more in Edmonton about rogue cops and the department is a fifth the size of Toronto's. There seem to be far more incidents here. I asked her if that was the case with Calgary police; are there a lot of incidents with cop misconduct that hit the media? She didn't seem to think so and said that the Calgary police are pretty highly thought of.

I don't think it's a coincidence that EPS changed their chief last year and I have heard stories of morale problems with the department. I'm pretty sure that Rod Knecht is an agent of change for the force and the city is looking for a much different style of leadership than Mike Boyd provided.
                      Media will put all kinds of spins on stories just so they can sell a paper, that doesn't mean they're true.

Comment

Originally posted by Komrade View Post
                        Speaking for myself only I have to say quite poor. I have been pulled over and forced to identify myself many times in my own neighborhood for I can only assume my appearance and age. On these occasions I have been treated as if I was a guilty of a crime. Harassed, talked down to and belittled.

If I am to share other stories, of harrasment, dentainments, beatings of people I know, many will say the stories are being made up, or embelished. There are others who say those "punks" that I know finally "got what they deserved". I dunno.

In my opinion, poor.

Cops is a job like a teacher, or a lawyer or a judge. You really should only enter that field if you of perfect moral character. Not just as a "job"
                        Komrade, it doesn't matter what neighbourhood you're in, you still have to follow the law. If you were wrongly detained you should seek council otherwise I can understand why people would say you are embellishing. A complaint isn't that legitimate when all you do is go on online forums and bad mouth law enforcement without taking official action.

Comment

Not bad in gerneral , but spare me the lecture when issuing the ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by Mla View Post
                            . A complaint isn't that legitimate when all you do is go on online forums and bad mouth law enforcement without taking official action.

Did I make this thread trying to 'bad mouth' them? Did I use slander against them? give me a break
                            youtube.com/BrothersGrim
                            facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Comment

Originally posted by steve semchuk View Post
                              Not bad in gerneral , but spare me the lecture when issuing the ticket.
                              That's called a Negative Reinforcement. In your case it sounds like it may be more effective than the ticket itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X