No announcement yet.

panhandlers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started a new thing: if I see them approaching, when they get close I stop and ask if they can spare some money so I can buy even nicer shoes.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

I have not encountered any problems with the panhandlers. The way I see it, their problems are much worse than mine, and if them asking me for a few dollars is going to make me upset, then I live a pretty good life. If I don't have any change, I will simply say "no". I won't treat them as if they are the scum of the earth. If I have change, I will give it-- if they aren't high/intoxicated. Yes, I know the money I give them will likely go towards their habit, but I'd rather they get the money from me than, perhaps, stealing.

My experience is this: If you treat them like a human, and say no, they won't hassle you.

Comment

Originally posted by EscoffierLivesOn View Post
        I have not encountered any problems with the panhandlers. The way I see it, their problems are much worse than mine, and if them asking me for a few dollars is going to make me upset, then I live a pretty good life. If I don't have any change, I will simply say "no". I won't treat them as if they are the scum of the earth. If I have change, I will give it-- if they aren't high/intoxicated. Yes, I know the money I give them will likely go towards their habit, but I'd rather they get the money from me than, perhaps, stealing.

My experience is this: If you treat them like a human, and say no, they won't hassle you.
        So you're one of the guys that perpetuates the problem. Median-panhandler-bozo and I-need-a-dollar-to-get-a-bus-ticket-back-home-liar wouldn't exist if you stopped paying them.
        "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

Originally posted by Chmilz View Post

So you're one of the guys that perpetuates the problem. Median-panhandler-bozo and I-need-a-dollar-to-get-a-bus-ticket-back-home-liar wouldn't exist if you stopped paying them.
          In another thread, I read that you have wanted to "Take a hammer to the homeless douchetards in the backalley", or something to that extent.

With that said, don't expect me to reply to you regarding this matter.

Comment

I made my annual visit downtown to attend a medical appointment; walked quite a bit and only encountered one panhandler who told me to "have a nice day"! Have the rest of them moved to Vancouver?

Comment

Originally posted by Chmilz View Post

In another thread, I read that you have wanted to "Take a hammer to the homeless douchetards in the backalley", or something to that extent.

With that said, don't expect me to reply to you regarding this matter.
              Want to provide a link to that quote?

Comment

Originally posted by Gord Lacey View Post
                Ah, I usually get hit up on Whyte. I politely tell them I can't spare change and move on. It's annoying, but it doesn't wreck my day.

What I don't like are the panhandlers that have a sob story and ask for a larger sum of money ($5+) because of ________ (insert sob story reason there). There's one guy that I've met up with twice in the past year, once just off Whyte, and another time in a South Edmonton Common store, who has this long story about how he's here from Saskatchewan and his truck broke down and he just needs $40 to get it fixed, and people here are so mean and he just wants to get back home... BS! If I see him again I'm going to take a photo of the guy, and call the cops.
                I call them "story bums". Sometimes the tales of woe can be so farfetched that I would almost laugh if they weren't such scumbags.

Comment

The most memorable panhandler to accost me was in Montreal. He asked for a handout so he could buy a gun and make some real money.

Comment

as a rule I don't give money to anybody on the street unless they are providing some sort of entertainment like Pushup guy, acoustic guitar people, or if they've got a sign that makes me chuckle. Sitting on the ground with hands out makes me think they have no will to turn things around.

That said, I donate to reputable charities that help the homeless. That way I know my money isn't going to the liquor store or crack dealer.

Comment

Hey man, Pushup guy is a world record holder. And he is a blast to party with. Lmao
                      youtube.com/BrothersGrim
                      facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Comment

Originally posted by Cal76 View Post
                        Their numbers have really really gone down in last couple of years.
                        Agreed.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the Plan to End Homelessness?

Comment

Originally posted by Komrade View Post
                          Hey man, Pushup guy is a world record holder. And he is a blast to party with. Lmao
                          I'll give Push-up Guy money if he stops doing push-ups.

Comment

I still have problems with panhandlers, even though I agree the number has gone down. It is super frustrating though... I wish they made it illegal. I was in the U.K. recently and while they had panhandlers they would never ASK for money. They would just sit on the side of the street. I have a feeling it was illegal to actually do any asking. I was tempted to give them money just for leaving me alone lol!

Comment

There are much better ways to help poor people then giving them money when they pan handle. That being said if I have some healthy food to spare I will give it to them if they look like they need it(most times they do).
                              When money speaks the truth is silent.

Comment

Originally posted by Decade View Post
                                I I was in the U.K. recently and while they had panhandlers they would never ASK for money. They would just sit on the side of the street. I have a feeling it was illegal to actually do any asking.
                                I was approached by the same guy twice in London last month, asking me if I could spare a pound.
                                Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Comment

Working...
                                X