No announcement yet.

Snow and the city Streets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking out of my office tower window in downtown where I have worked for over 37 years today I just thought I'd let everyone know that Winston Churchill Square is clean as a whistle as if no snow had fallen at all recently while all the downtown roads including Jasper Avenue are either packed ice or have ice ruts on them.

Comment

• It's almost like Churchill Square doesn't have vehicles driving on it, continually packing snow down.

Comment

• ^^^ A good part of the city does have boulevards, but they aren't used for snow storage. We need to start doing just that, as well as adding boulevards to areas that don't have them as part of the neighborhood renewal process. It won't be that difficult in most places - narrow the overly wide residential streets a bit and move the sidewalks out to the edges of the right of way and there will be space for boulevards. In places where there are no boulevards (yet), there is usually at least 1.5 m of city ROW on the other side of the sidewalk, so plow the snow across the sidewalk instead. There will still be a few roads where that is not possible (primarily arterials in older areas where road expansion has eaten up all of the extra ROW), so some snow will still need to be hauled away. This could be made more efficient as well - remove any raised concrete islands in the middle of the road and use this area for snow storage for the few days to a week that it takes to get the removal equipment out. Run the snowblower down the middle of the road with a convoy of trucks immediately to right to allow continuous loading, no further plowing or graders required.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
          It's almost like Churchill Square doesn't have vehicles driving on it, continually packing snow down.
          Its almost as if it doesn't have ANYTHING on it or any users on it due to the whole surrounding area being infected by construction virus. I think that was the point of the poster, that it seems silly and pointless to exert much expenditure or priority on clearing the entire Churchill Square which is not being used for anything and that has hardly anybody going on it.
          "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

• We need these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-rWIfK0ifA

Comment

• There's something I don't understand. It hasn't snowed more than a couple of centimeters since February 1 (reference). Why is the city only beginning residential blading now, more than a month later?

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...eets-wednesday

“We’re looking to take a proactive approach into our residential blading,” said Andrew Grant, the city’s general supervisor for infrastructure field operations, on Wednesday.
              There's more than a little irony in that statement.

Comment

• ^ sounds like the same statement we have heard for the past 30 years. They frame their statements like that the City is doing tax payers a favor by plowing to keep their street passable. Residential blading usually is completed by July... FCOL

^^ I have seen the GRYB in action on thick sidewalk ice and it was very efficient. The operator changes the pressure as the ice gets thinner. Did not see any obvious sidewalk damage but the intent is not to make the sidewalk totally clean but to to break down the ice and allow salt to penetrate. I wonder though how easily they can resharpen the spikes and how long the spikes last.
                Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 06-03-2019, 06:59 PM.
                Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

• Originally posted by OffWhyte View Post
                  There's something I don't understand. It hasn't snowed more than a couple of centimeters since February 1 (reference). Why is the city only beginning residential blading now, more than a month later?

“We’re looking to take a proactive approach into our residential blading,” said Andrew Grant, the city’s general supervisor for infrastructure field operations, on Wednesday.
                  Probably because it's been too cold to do so
                  “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

• That is new to me. Did not know that the temperature affects residential blading.
                    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

• Clearly their winter weather strategy needs some work if it is unable to cope with... winter weather.

Comment

There's something I don't understand. It hasn't snowed more than a couple of centimeters since February 1 (reference). Why is the city only beginning residential blading now, more than a month later?

Because they didn't want to blade when there is a chance of significant snow ahead, because it would potentially require doing it more times. Now with the warmer weather they want to clear the streets and gutters to minimize rutting and pooling to allow for the run off to hit the storm drains.
                        It's early march it could snow again and it would all have to be redone, but the upcoming melt makes it sensible to go ahead.

Comment

• The classic 'it will melt by July' defence.

Right up there with corporations, governments and the Catholic Church. Just deny, ignore and drag out claiming responsibility for decades until nearly everyone effected is dead and then settle with the last few survivors.

Comment

• So instead of the official policy which states:

https://www.edmonton.ca/transportati...ives/C409J.pdf
                            Residential Blading:
                            ● In any given snow event, a city-wide residential blading program will be initiated (including
                            Alleys) immediately after the Arterial and Collector road network has been plowed and
                            considered to be in safe condition.
                            ● Residential Roads will be bladed to a 5 cm snow pack condition.
                            ● Residential blading will be completed within 7 days, commencing within 48 hours following the
                            end of the snowfall.
                            we have the actual practice which is:

1. Do not do any winter maintenance on residential streets if it's "too cold".
                            2. Do not do any winter maintenance on residential streets in case it might actually snow again.

In that case, in addition to updating the snow removal policy to reflect the above, I suggest the city also update other pertinent policies to reflect the following:

1. Do not mow the lawn in case the grass grows again.
                            2. Do not collect the garbage if it's too hot.
                            3. Do not turn on the street lights in case the sun rises again.

Anything I forgot?

Comment

• 4. Make wild whiny suppositions when you really don't know what's going on but think you do?
                              I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Comment

1. Do not mow the lawn in case the grass grows again.
                                2. Do not collect the garbage if it's too hot.
                                3. Do not turn on the street lights in case the sun rises again.

Anything I forgot?
                                LOVE IT!

Question, was the residential blading completed within 7 days, following the end of the snowfall?

Comment

Working...
                                X