Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snow and the city Streets

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • As far as your 70's VW Bug, I did not know one self respecting VW owner who did not have these two books



    Your VW Beetle was a death trap in an accident, had no A/C and a useless heater. Did you forget that?

    I bought my 74 VW Bus from my dad who originally bought it for $5,500 on Christmas Eve 1974 at Volkswagen Northern on 97th street.

    That is about $26,600 today according to the Bank of Canada Inflation Calculator. Percent change on consumer inflation is 383%
    Minimum wage in Alberta was $ in 1974, Minimum wage today is $15.00, it was $2.00 in 1975 a 750% increase

    As far as your faith in the "SUV was the Brand that Mr Kim from Kim's convenience store" as your car buying guru, I have no idea since I don't watch the show.

    Maybe you can tell us all what you bought.

    Compare a
    1974 VW Bus
    Price $5,500 about $26,600 today
    Engine 1.8L 4-cylinder
    Valve Train 8-valve, SOHC, Dual-carburetor
    Horsepower 67 hp @ 4,200 rpm
    Torque 101 lb.ft. @ 3,000 rpm
    Transmission 4-speed manual
    0-100 kph time 23 seconds, downhill, with the wind, peddling furiously. LOL

    2019 Sorento LX FWD
    Price about $26,600 today
    Engine 2.4L 4-cylinder
    Valve Train 16-valve, DOHC, 4 point EFI Dual-Cam Variable Valve Timing (D-CVVT)
    Horsepower 185 hp @ 6,000 rpm
    Torque 178 lb.ft. @ 4,000 rpm
    Transmission 6-speed Sportmatic automatic
    0-100 kph time 10.1 seconds
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 13-02-2019, 08:09 AM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
      I paid the $12,000 for the new GTS in cash

      My first car was a 1974 VW Bus so don't tell me that VW's were reliable. VW's were loved by their owners but no one ever said that they were a reliable car. They were crap and unsafe at any speed.


      All your examples were 2nd hand cars you and your friends bought cheap.
      Apples and used oranges comparison. Plus I bet you forgot all the maintenance like spark plugs, adjusting the points and timing, brakes, mufflers and of course, the Impala never even needed gas because it ran on pink unicorn farts...

      Over time you forgot how much maintenance those cars were and how hard to start on a cold morning. Keep waxing nostalgic...

      Next you are going to tell us how faxes and telex machines are so much better than email.

      Give it a rest, cars are far more reliable, rust resistant and have many more features at a cost comparable to today; than days gone by.
      So much misinformation;

      1) Gas was cheap. Really the cost of gas wasn't even a consideration. Or the cost of Oil, spark plugs.

      2)By no means was the standard VW Beetle a lemon. Countless people drove these for decades and in lots of countries around the world you'll see 50yr old Beetles still on the road. Not many features but that's the appeal to a lot of people and making it the most popular production vehicle of its time or any time before it.

      3)Impalas were one of those vehicles that owners generally hit the jackpot on. Dependable, decent car, well put together that didn't need a lot of servicing.

      4)If vehicles are more rust resistant, and they probably are, whats with all this howling about what is put on the roads?

      5)As mentioned the costs of vehicle repair today is so much more prohibitive that it is the number 1 factor in vehicle changeover. The depreciation of todays vehicles so severe that its often the case that one single required repair exceeds the worth of the vehicle. That is the end game of todays vehicles.

      6) Did you not wonder why so many used vehicles like Datsun's, Beetles, Toyotas, that would run forever were on the market so long after production, and so cheap? Its because they never stopped being a movable set of wheels. That were had for low cost, with low upkeep, low insurance, very little cost of ownership. Theres always been a market of people that want LESS bells and whistles. The auto industry tends not to service that because they get less sticker price. So that even base models are loaded.

      7)Why on Earth would you buy a Chrysler Lebaron GTS? That was one of the worst production vehicles you could have purchased. Clearly if you bought overpriced junk like that gimmicks, sales pitches, and bells and whistles mean a lot to you.
      "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
        As far as your 70's VW Bug, I did not know one self respecting VW owner who did not have these two books



        Your VW Beetle was a death trap in an accident, had no A/C and a useless heater. Did you forget that?

        I bought my 74 VW Bus from my dad who originally bought it for $5,500 on Christmas Eve 1974 at Volkswagen Northern on 97th street.

        That is about $26,600 today according to the Bank of Canada Inflation Calculator. Percent change on consumer inflation is 383%
        Minimum wage in Alberta was $ in 1974, Minimum wage today is $15.00, it was $2.00 in 1975 a 750% increase

        As far as your faith in the "SUV was the Brand that Mr Kim from Kim's convenience store" as your car buying guru, I have no idea since I don't watch the show.

        Maybe you can tell us all what you bought.

        Compare a
        1974 VW Bus
        Price $5,500 about $26,600 today
        Engine 1.8L 4-cylinder
        Valve Train 8-valve, SOHC, Dual-carburetor
        Horsepower 67 hp @ 4,200 rpm
        Torque 101 lb.ft. @ 3,000 rpm
        Transmission 4-speed manual
        0-100 kph time 23 seconds, downhill, with the wind, peddling furiously. LOL

        2019 Sorento LX FWD
        Price about $26,600 today
        Engine 2.4L 4-cylinder
        Valve Train 16-valve, DOHC, 4 point EFI Dual-Cam Variable Valve Timing (D-CVVT)
        Horsepower 185 hp @ 6,000 rpm
        Torque 178 lb.ft. @ 4,000 rpm
        Transmission 6-speed Sportmatic automatic
        0-100 kph time 10.1 seconds
        I'll boil it down for you. The first vehicle shown is a collectors vehicle which has retained value and is a classic find. The market for Oid VW busses, camper vans has never relented, is always hot, and people love those vehicles, love having them, and buying them. They are some of the best vehicle non depreciation stories ever manufactured.

        To wit anybody could get a VW camper Van today. Prepare for it to cost 15K or more because its a collectors vehicle in demand and despite its cost is 10% of the cost of getting one of todays bloated and ridiculous new camper vans that retail for more than the price of a house used to be. The VW camper van is classic because it was well designed, efficient use of space, practicality, and had everything you needed and intelligently put together.


        The Kims convenience store line is a joke. No, not a recommendation. Hyundai Santafe SUV. Not the best, certainly, but I've got great deals on every one and the most important features for me being an all in one vehicle that services small cargo, small trailer pulling, vehicle around the town and that is high enough seating that it offers decent driving sight lines. I like to see whats ahead of me and behind me and all directions further to defensive driving. Plus that I would not want to drive a subcompact in this province with todays drivers. so no, not a great vehicle, I've had one really good Santafe that was excellent, and one not so great. A lot of people love the Santafe line though and have since its inception.

        Now finally, do you ever factor in the cost of automotive bailouts in a garbage industry that if it was so good wouldn't require them?
        Last edited by Replacement; 13-02-2019, 08:28 AM.
        "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Replacement View Post

          So much misinformation;

          1) Gas was cheap. Really the cost of gas wasn't even a consideration. Or the cost of Oil, spark plugs.

          2)By no means was the standard VW Beetle a lemon. Countless people drove these for decades and in lots of countries around the world you'll see 50yr old Beetles still on the road. Not many features but that's the appeal to a lot of people and making it the most popular production vehicle of its time or any time before it.

          3)Impalas were one of those vehicles that owners generally hit the jackpot on. Dependable, decent car, well put together that didn't need a lot of servicing.

          4)If vehicles are more rust resistant, and they probably are, whats with all this howling about what is put on the roads?

          5)As mentioned the costs of vehicle repair today is so much more prohibitive that it is the number 1 factor in vehicle changeover. The depreciation of todays vehicles so severe that its often the case that one single required repair exceeds the worth of the vehicle. That is the end game of todays vehicles.

          6) Did you not wonder why so many used vehicles like Datsun's, Beetles, Toyotas, that would run forever were on the market so long after production, and so cheap? Its because they never stopped being a movable set of wheels. That were had for low cost, with low upkeep, low insurance, very little cost of ownership. Theres always been a market of people that want LESS bells and whistles. The auto industry tends not to service that because they get less sticker price. So that even base models are loaded.

          7)Why on Earth would you buy a Chrysler Lebaron GTS? That was one of the worst production vehicles you could have purchased. Clearly if you bought overpriced junk like that gimmicks, sales pitches, and bells and whistles mean a lot to you.
          1) In the late 70's and early eighties gas was more expensive than today


          2) "By no means was the standard VW Beetle a lemon." You are out of your mind. They were a below average car in performance and build quality.

          3) Impalas, maybe but most of GM's vehicles made in the 70's and 80's were complete junk. Impalas were a boat. A 1979 Impala was underpowered and over weight, with 0-100 kph times in the 16 second range. What year was this mysterious Impala? Not all years were good years. You did not own the Impala, your friend did. He was smarter than you.

          4) I am not complaining about salt, others are.

          5) cars have always been expensive to repair. Today's cars are higher quality and need less repairs. If you buy a Mercedes or a Porsche, don't expect cheap repairs ever; not 50 years ago and not now either. If you want something cheap to repair, buy a Model T. Call your friends over to help.




          6) Don't see many vintage Datsun's, Beetles, Toyotas like the Trecel or Corollas on the road anymore. They turned to rust, then dust and were melted down as scrap metal.

          7) The Lebaron GTS was a decent car that performed well at the time. Good on gas and you could load a whole bunch of stuff in it. Drove it across Canada several times including the Alaska highway all the way to Dawson and down the Cassiar highway. Did lots of gravel roads in it. It was totaled in '92 by a stolen Camaro on Capilano Drive during a police chase.
          Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 13-02-2019, 09:02 AM.
          Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

          Comment


          • Every so often I see old people driving in old Chrysler sedans. I suspect they drive less than a couple thousand km a year, hence the reason the car is stil able to go on the road.

            I had a 1975 Toyota Corolla and in four years of driving all it needed one $50 heater switch and that’s it. It had a manual choke, std tranny, 1100 cc engine, door to door rubber floor matting. So next I bought a 1980 Supra. Another amazingly reliable vehicle.

            I’d also never want to go back to those days. Those cars were death traps compared to today’s vehicles.
            Last edited by KC; 13-02-2019, 09:18 AM.

            Comment


            • Has anyone seen any sign of residential blading in their neighbourhood after the latest big dump of snow ?
              Noah's ark was built by volunteers...... The Titanic was built by professionals.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
                Originally posted by Replacement View Post

                So much misinformation;

                1) Gas was cheap. Really the cost of gas wasn't even a consideration. Or the cost of Oil, spark plugs.

                2)By no means was the standard VW Beetle a lemon. Countless people drove these for decades and in lots of countries around the world you'll see 50yr old Beetles still on the road. Not many features but that's the appeal to a lot of people and making it the most popular production vehicle of its time or any time before it.

                3)Impalas were one of those vehicles that owners generally hit the jackpot on. Dependable, decent car, well put together that didn't need a lot of servicing.

                4)If vehicles are more rust resistant, and they probably are, whats with all this howling about what is put on the roads?

                5)As mentioned the costs of vehicle repair today is so much more prohibitive that it is the number 1 factor in vehicle changeover. The depreciation of todays vehicles so severe that its often the case that one single required repair exceeds the worth of the vehicle. That is the end game of todays vehicles.

                6) Did you not wonder why so many used vehicles like Datsun's, Beetles, Toyotas, that would run forever were on the market so long after production, and so cheap? Its because they never stopped being a movable set of wheels. That were had for low cost, with low upkeep, low insurance, very little cost of ownership. Theres always been a market of people that want LESS bells and whistles. The auto industry tends not to service that because they get less sticker price. So that even base models are loaded.

                7)Why on Earth would you buy a Chrysler Lebaron GTS? That was one of the worst production vehicles you could have purchased. Clearly if you bought overpriced junk like that gimmicks, sales pitches, and bells and whistles mean a lot to you.
                1) In the late 70's and early eighties gas was more expensive than today


                2) "By no means was the standard VW Beetle a lemon." You are out of your mind. They were a below average car in performance and build quality.

                3) Impalas, maybe but most of GM's vehicles made in the 70's and 80's were complete junk. Impalas were a boat. A 1979 Impala was underpowered and over weight, with 0-100 kph times in the 16 second range. What year was this mysterious Impala? Not all years were good years. You did not own the Impala, your friend did. He was smarter than you.

                4) I am not complaining about salt, others are.

                5) cars have always been expensive to repair. Today's cars are higher quality and need less repairs. If you buy a Mercedes or a Porsche, don't expect cheap repairs ever; not 50 years ago and not now either. If you want something cheap to repair, buy a Model T. Call your friends over to help.




                6) Don't see many vintage Datsun's, Beetles, Toyotas like the Trecel or Corollas on the road anymore. They turned to rust, then dust and were melted down as scrap metal.

                7) The Lebaron GTS was a decent car that performed well at the time. Good on gas and you could load a whole bunch of stuff in it. Drove it across Canada several times including the Alaska highway all the way to Dawson and down the Cassiar highway. Did lots of gravel roads in it. It was totaled in '92 by a stolen Camaro on Capilano Drive during a police chase.
                For one, those are US gas prices, not Alberta prices that were experienced here. No reason to respond to the rest of your post. We value different things. I like vehicles that get from one point to the other and that have steering, suspension and brakes.

                You value bells and whistles, ostentation, power, performance. I could care less, I drove a Saturn and it was the best NA vehicle possibly ever assembled in my terms. No nonsense vehicle, bare bones, did nothing but run at low cost and EASY to service. I would continue to drive nothing but Saturns but they don't exist now, although many still survive on the road.

                You can bleat on about how horrible the Saturn vehicles were even though it was not uncommon to hit 400-600K on those vehicles simple platforms and at extremely low cost of operation. warranty didn't even matter, nothing of significance ever went wrong. Sometimes the auto industry ***** up and builds a perfect reliable vehicle and then shitcans it and hope nobody noticed.
                Last edited by Replacement; 13-02-2019, 09:20 AM.
                "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Barry N View Post
                  Has anyone seen any sign of residential blading in their neighbourhood after the latest big dump of snow ?
                  my residential bus route was bladed last night, I dont think they are ready to do the rest of residentials yet. It seems as soon as they get caught up with bus routes, it snows again, and they start all over again from scratch.
                  A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

                  Comment


                  • ^^ never said anything about Saturns. Or the EV1 either. Saturn only survived 20 years, 1990 to 2010. About the only good cars GM ever built. Of course they killed both. GM continued to build crap.

                    Still did not answer any of my questions. Year of the Impala or what Mr. Kim SUV you own now.

                    I remember gas hitting 65 cents a litre in Edmonton in the spring of 1981. That's about $1.80 today.
                    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 13-02-2019, 09:53 AM.
                    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
                      ^^ never said anything about Saturns. Or the EV1 either. Saturn only survived 20 years, 1990 to 2010. About the only good cars GM ever built. Of course they killed both. GM continued to build crap.

                      Still did not answer any of my questions. Year of the Impala or what Mr. Kim SUV you own now.

                      I remember gas hitting 65 cents a litre in Edmonton in the spring of 1981. That's about $1.80 today.
                      I told you in a post above I've had two different Hyundai Santafe's First one was a great vehicle, fantastic value, reliable, was totalled, while parked, by a drunk driver. That vehicle was gold. The next one I got not as great but still enjoy the vehicle.

                      Your memory is foggy. Do you not remember that the price of gas used to be sold here by the GALLON, and not the litre. Not sure where you were paying 65cents a litre. Even as late as 84 gas was around 35cents a litre. In the seventies there were times I paid not much much for a GALLON of gas.


                      I remember it costing me 3-4bucks once to drive to Jasper in the small VW bug. Maybe I was drafting behind large semi's
                      Last edited by Replacement; 13-02-2019, 11:12 AM.
                      "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Barry N View Post
                        Has anyone seen any sign of residential blading in their neighbourhood after the latest big dump of snow ?

                        Yes, the bus routes in my neighbourhood were cleared last week and the rest of the roads are being cleared right now. They worked through the night and are removing windrows today.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Medwards View Post
                          Originally posted by Barry N View Post
                          Has anyone seen any sign of residential blading in their neighbourhood after the latest big dump of snow ?
                          my residential bus route was bladed last night, I dont think they are ready to do the rest of residentials yet. It seems as soon as they get caught up with bus routes, it snows again, and they start all over again from scratch.

                          Hey, take your post on 'Snow and the city streets' into the appropriate thread and stay out of this car debate.... oh wait.....
                          He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Replacement View Post
                            Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
                            ^^ never said anything about Saturns. Or the EV1 either. Saturn only survived 20 years, 1990 to 2010. About the only good cars GM ever built. Of course they killed both. GM continued to build crap.

                            Still did not answer any of my questions. Year of the Impala or what Mr. Kim SUV you own now.

                            I remember gas hitting 65 cents a litre in Edmonton in the spring of 1981. That's about $1.80 today.
                            I told you in a post above I've had two different Hyundai Santafe's First one was a great vehicle, fantastic value, reliable, was totalled, while parked, by a drunk driver. That vehicle was gold. The next one I got not as great but still enjoy the vehicle.

                            Your memory is foggy. Do you not remember that the price of gas used to be sold here by the GALLON, and not the litre. Not sure where you were paying 65cents a litre. Even as late as 84 gas was around 35cents a litre. In the seventies there were times I paid not much much for a GALLON of gas.


                            I remember it costing me 3-4bucks once to drive to Jasper in the small VW bug. Maybe I was drafting behind large semi's
                            Our posts crossed so only after my post did I see that you bought a Santa Fe

                            Maybe prior to the 1973 oil embargo, gas was cheap but after that gas prices took off. US and Canadian gas prices are go up and down with the world oil prices so you can see in the early eighties that prices spiked. By the later 80's prices halved so maybe in 1987 or 1988, prices dropped to about 35 cents. in the early 80's prices were double. The price at the pump was changed to by the litre in 1979. In 1980-81, prices hit over 60 cents a litre.



                            Best you could do in a VW Beetle 1200 with a 50hp engine was about 30 miles to the Canadian Gallon. Your Santa Fe gets about the same milage.






                            US prices




                            Canadian Prices

                            https://www.canadianbusiness.com/blo...s-other-goods/



                            3 linked videos

                            Gas prices in Vancouver 51.2 cents per litre 1986. Gas Prices dropped in Vancouver in reaction in decliing world price of crude oil. Locally, the drop was at least two cents per litre.
                            http://www.vancouversun.com/cars/Gal...833/story.html

                            Gas prices were 45.1 cents a litre in 1982 in Ottawa
                            https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...tawa-1.3919371


                            In 1979, the price for gas was 18 cents a litre and minimum wage was $3.65 https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/1970-...ices-1.1695292
                            Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 13-02-2019, 01:13 PM.
                            Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Barry N View Post
                              Has anyone seen any sign of residential blading in their neighbourhood after the latest big dump of snow ?
                              Our bus route was bladed/zamboni'd and, holy smokes, they've gritted it, too. Bonus!
                              Nisi Dominus Frustra

                              Comment


                              • As a point of reference.

                                Montreal got hit with 16 inches (40cm) of snow in 12 hours. All streets including residential and alleys plowed, many of them twice within 24 hours. All parking lots cleaned as well.
                                Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X